Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 AM

106 posts, read 380,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMR09 View Post
Have u been in doral, blue lagoon, brickel and downtown, theres plenty of corporate headquarters, second biggest cluster of international bank offices in the world, some of the best schools as well and i think its obvious theres people here that support real estate and Miami is also a big player in the music industry most big name producers are here and alot of movies and shows film here and Miami is basically the hispanics hollywood all the latin award shows, talk shows, telenovels, and diffrent shows are all filmed and produced here.
Just to let you know, Southern California has the fifth largest economy in the world. The infrastructure and economy and amount of dollars that are exchanged in Los Angeles and southern California is greater than many entire nations. You guys have a blurred impression of what Miami is and isnt. As I stated before Miami is NOT the grand metropolis you guys make it out to be. Then again most here have never gone anywhere so they dont really understand what Im saying. Los Angeles has suburbs that are larger than Miami. 10 million people in L.A. county plus four others in our metro area. Give it a rest. Doral? Who gives a hoot about Doral. If you mention Doral to anybody in any other part of the nation they wont even know what the heck you are talking about unless theyve been to Miami and have some type of personal connection with this city. If you mention, Brentwood, Bel Air, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, to anybody in the nation regardless of whether of not they have visited southern California they will most likely know those names are associated with Los Angeles because those are household names. Even southcentral L.A. and the worst neighborhoods in L.A. achieve a certain level of notoriety and fame. Compton Watts Long Beach LBC and Crenshaw Boulevard has status associated with them due to the Snoop Doggs, Ice Cubes and other rappers that have come from those areas. The ghettos in L.A. are also famous and thats about as ghetto as Los Angeles gets. FREAKIN DORAL ?????????????????????

Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 AM

106 posts, read 380,390 times
Default You dont see the customer service problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMR09 View Post
No i dont see the customer service problem, yea your gonna have a bad experience sometime but its not overall bad.
And why would I give you reasons when it'll be just as pointless as responding back to this?!
I see the customer service problem every day. Because the majority of people who work in Miami restaurants are ignorant high school drop outs or islanders who dont speak good English and dont even know who to greet a customer correctly with How may I help you and Can I take your order please. Restaurant employees in Miami think you owe them something. In addition they are slow. Has this happen to me in Los Angeles. Yes but very rarely. I am not talking about high end restaurants Im talking about fast food and the food I buy everyday while commuting to work and on my lunch break. When you mention this to people in Miami they immediately begin name dropping high end over priced restaurants on South Beach and tourist areas. I shouldnt have to pay a million bucks to get a decent meal. Im talking about every day restaurants for everyday people. I may be spoiled coming from L.A. which is a city that has over 20,000 restaurants. There you can get GOOD FAST FOOD so obviously my expectations for Miami are way to high. Being constantly on the go and in traffic and with no time to cook in L.A. I ate out all the time and sometimes 3 times a day and I can tell you that the service in L.A. is 20 times better than service in Miami. Very rarely did I wait long or have to downright complain and if I did wait long it was because there was a long line not because the cashier was down right slow and there were only three people in line. I hate to say it but the Islanders who work in the restaurants here irritate me because they are slow and non responsive. You get to the cashier and they look at you like they dont know who to speak or say Hi can I take your order please. When you get your food the order is usually incorrect.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
moderators are having a free-for-all deleting anything negative i post about miami.

to my last dying breath i will badmouth this place. people need to know the evils of this place to avoid being tricked into moving here. id like to bring an end to all the miserable people i see here who feel they got a crappy deal moving here.

you continue to delete moderators, i will continue to post warnings.

btw i was feeling pretty good today until the little black girl on the street basically walked in front of my car intentionally so that i couldnt drive forward and just sat there staring at me. why is it the black kids in the neighborhood do that? frickin racists. a black boy on our street did the same thing a few months ago on his bike. i just want to live here and not bother anyone and yet you get the racist BS which i can only imagine is because im white.

Last edited by CiXeL; 05-06-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 PM

158 posts, read 647,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
Just to let you know, Southern California has the fifth largest economy in the world. The infrastructure and economy and amount of dollars that are exchanged in Los Angeles and southern California is greater than many entire nations. You guys have a blurred impression of what Miami is and isnt. As I stated before Miami is NOT the grand metropolis you guys make it out to be. Then again most here have never gone anywhere so they dont really understand what Im saying. Los Angeles has suburbs that are larger than Miami. 10 million people in L.A. county plus four others in our metro area. Give it a rest. Doral? Who gives a hoot about Doral. If you mention Doral to anybody in any other part of the nation they wont even know what the heck you are talking about unless theyve been to Miami and have some type of personal connection with this city. If you mention, Brentwood, Bel Air, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, to anybody in the nation regardless of whether of not they have visited southern California they will most likely know those names are associated with Los Angeles because those are household names. Even southcentral L.A. and the worst neighborhoods in L.A. achieve a certain level of notoriety and fame. Compton Watts Long Beach LBC and Crenshaw Boulevard has status associated with them due to the Snoop Doggs, Ice Cubes and other rappers that have come from those areas. The ghettos in L.A. are also famous and thats about as ghetto as Los Angeles gets. FREAKIN DORAL ?????????????????????
Buddy you even said it L.A IS 10 TIMES BIGGER!!! Ofcourse its going to have a bigger economy its also older! All i said about Doral is that it had alot of Corporate Headquarters, because IT DOES!! Doral does have some Fame for the golfcourse and the PGA championship! Yes those neigborhoods and cities in and around L.A are household names because of how Expensive and superficial they are not saying its all horrible but c'mon ur really biased against that city, and many people not only in miami but in the world would argue that Miami is a world class city and it is of some importance in this country and world.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM

158 posts, read 647,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
I see the customer service problem every day. Because the majority of people who work in Miami restaurants are ignorant high school drop outs or islanders who dont speak good English and dont even know who to greet a customer correctly with How may I help you and Can I take your order please. Restaurant employees in Miami think you owe them something. In addition they are slow. Has this happen to me in Los Angeles. Yes but very rarely. I am not talking about high end restaurants Im talking about fast food and the food I buy everyday while commuting to work and on my lunch break. When you mention this to people in Miami they immediately begin name dropping high end over priced restaurants on South Beach and tourist areas. I shouldnt have to pay a million bucks to get a decent meal. Im talking about every day restaurants for everyday people. I may be spoiled coming from L.A. which is a city that has over 20,000 restaurants. There you can get GOOD FAST FOOD so obviously my expectations for Miami are way to high. Being constantly on the go and in traffic and with no time to cook in L.A. I ate out all the time and sometimes 3 times a day and I can tell you that the service in L.A. is 20 times better than service in Miami. Very rarely did I wait long or have to downright complain and if I did wait long it was because there was a long line not because the cashier was down right slow and there were only three people in line. I hate to say it but the Islanders who work in the restaurants here irritate me because they are slow and non responsive. You get to the cashier and they look at you like they dont know who to speak or say Hi can I take your order please. When you get your food the order is usually incorrect.
Your again being biased here your just plain exaggerating by saying you have problems everyday either that or your a depressing person, and what are the fast food workers in L.A, College graduates and rich Mexicans!?!?!?
And if yopur telling me that good restaurants in L.A are affordable than again your crazy! And saying that the service in L.A is any better than it is here is just you being biased with L.A because you cant generalize a whole area if i were to do that i could easily say that Miami has excellent service!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 135,313 times
Default Why this place blows!!!

This is a general--and belated--response to the numerous Miami-bashings that regularly occur--from an average white guy's perspective, of course.
Last August, I accepted a position in textbook sales. At the time, I was living in Westerville, OH, along with my wife & 3 daughters. Well, as you can imagine, many of my closest friends & relatives warned me about what I would encounter when I reached this "foreign country." I scoffed at them. After all, Ohio's job market stinks and so I looked forward to 2 crucial factors: warm weather & tons of opportunities.
Our church pastor, before I moved, had laughingly stated that in Miami, the Cubans had "taken over." I, too, laughed, thinking this was obviously some serious hyperbole. Being from Ohio, I am a rather conservative fellow; however, I am comfortable mingling with other races, cultures, etc.--after all, I have been in education for several years, and have thus been inundated with the preachings of multiculturalism. No problem, I thought; worst case scenario, I can find a "pocket" neighborhood, where WASPS live & work. WRONG!!!

With all due respect, as a 40-year old man, I can honestly say that this is the rudest, most self-centered city on the planet--especially if you are white & new to the area. My wife & I have made some friends; but I liken such relationships, for the most part, to Moderator cut: offensive racial comment or perhaps a friendliness from one who knows they are "cultured" for one who is an outsider.

Moreover, the city is beyond "fast"--it is frantic. I willingly admit my naivete in having moved here expecting to find at least some sort of human warmth or compassion. Instead, I have unwittingly relocated to a city that wants (demands) all of the privileges of Americanization without any of the accountability necessary.
People drive recklessly, speak too loudly and too fast, &, ultimately, disregard anyone who is a "gringo" and who doesn't speak Spanish. The odd thing about all of these factors is that, in other parts of America, learning to speak fluent English, and wanting this as your own language, is the norm; if not, it at least was once the standard.
South Florida is blissfully unaware that their little bastion of 3rd-worldness is still, technically, America.
I plan on putting my time in here, for professional reasons, & bolting back to civilization--AMERICAN civilization, that is.
Till I post again.....

Old 05-11-2007, 08:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Now you see why us natives are always trying to warn newcommers! Unless you're a shark, don't come to this place in the sun!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,568 times
And adding to Rick's response, watch out. Moderator cut: off topic

Lastly, to help your education along, I'll point out that I am Cuban. But you see, thanks to our brilliant past 5 presidents, Moderator cut: Please refrain from steering this Miami topic to national politics

well..., Miami is not just for Cubans anymore.

Because they do not speak English, doesn't make them Cuban; rather, they are less likely to be Cuban.
See, you are getting a real education.
You should be grateful.
Your pastor however, is incorrect. Cubans are the least of Miami's problems.
You really did dive in the deep part of the pool.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:25 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
in a short while youll become like all the other hardened jaded people from ohio and the midwest that i meet. your family will say youve changed but you need to do so just to survive down here. youll go back, be rude as hell and not realize youre doing it. thats just life down here.
people come in bright eyed and optimistic and in a few weeks working a job out here become worn and weathered.
please remember turn signals are a sign of weakness (flip them on just as you change lanes for legal reasons) and allow the crazy drivers to pass you if you want to live.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
its our duty to WARN these nice, naive, innocent, warm, friendly families and others from the midwest and other locations that south florida is a war zone like zoo only to be used for brief vacations in the winter....i dont want anyone else gettng fooled into moving here for a wholesum, family oriented, low key, fun in the sun type of society....i feel bad for some of these people posting and asking about moving their young families to homestead or doral or parts of broward and palm beach. i was warned but ignored the warnings but i will never stop advising others on what it is like to live in south florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami