Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times

Advertisements

That's very true about Miami,way too many BMW's and Benzes parked in front of houses that probably aren't worth much more than the car.Many of the cases are people trying to keep up with that "Miami" lifestyle even if they can't afford it.They'll work 2 jobs 60,70 hours a week just to keep up with the bills and payments.Other cases are people from other countries who come here and expect to have everything at once and are a bankruptcy and/or foreclosure waiting to happen.The credit crunch has probably put a hold on this kind of behavior lately.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
That's very true about Miami,way too many BMW's and Benzes parked in front of houses that probably aren't worth much more than the car.Many of the cases are people trying to keep up with that "Miami" lifestyle even if they can't afford it.They'll work 2 jobs 60,70 hours a week just to keep up with the bills and payments.Other cases are people from other countries who come here and expect to have everything at once and are a bankruptcy and/or foreclosure waiting to happen.The credit crunch has probably put a hold on this kind of behavior lately.
Yup, great point.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
There are plenty of Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos rolling around Los Angeles. It's just it seems rare to me to see them depicted on TV shows that are situated in LA. Whereas with Miami, sure, there may be exotics prowling the streets, but the Miami-based TV shows seem to have a fetish for showing them on their shows.

Does the Miami police department roll around in Hummers? Does the Miami Police Dept or "CSI" type lab have all that state-of-the-art technology? Talk about tax dollars at work--WOW! Those CSI labs are better equipped than the military!

I could really care less about people complaining about Miami self-absorbtion, rudeness, narcississim, etc. I used to live in Boston, NYC and San Diego. All of these cities had people exhibiting the same qualities.

Do you know what? I don't care. The good--ACTUAL CULTURE/EXCITEMENT outweighs the bad. I've lived the past decade in rural farm places and these are the worst places for anyone to live.....

RESCUE ME MIAMI!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
There are plenty of Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos rolling around Los Angeles. It's just it seems rare to me to see them depicted on TV shows that are situated in LA. Whereas with Miami, sure, there may be exotics prowling the streets, but the Miami-based TV shows seem to have a fetish for showing them on their shows.

Does the Miami police department roll around in Hummers? Does the Miami Police Dept or "CSI" type lab have all that state-of-the-art technology? Talk about tax dollars at work--WOW! Those CSI labs are better equipped than the military!

I could really care less about people complaining about Miami self-absorbtion, rudeness, narcississim, etc. I used to live in Boston, NYC and San Diego. All of these cities had people exhibiting the same qualities.

Do you know what? I don't care. The good--ACTUAL CULTURE/EXCITEMENT outweighs the bad. I've lived the past decade in rural farm places and these are the worst places for anyone to live.....

RESCUE ME MIAMI!

Sounds like you and Miami will be great for eachother!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
That's very true about Miami,way too many BMW's and Benzes parked in front of houses that probably aren't worth much more than the car.
I've been to Istanbul, Turkey in poor residential neighborhoods with broken glass in filthy streets and semi-dilapidated houses with brand new American and European brand cars parked in front of them. I can say the same about some suburbs of New York.

In my view, the real estate crash has gone some way in reducing the extent that Miami's housing is overpriced, though there is still some way to go. But the problem that won't be solved in the foreseeable future is the imbalance between luxury housing and the natural risks of the region that surround it, reflected in sky-high maintenance and insurance costs.

But taking a hard look at prices and taxes in other "desirable" areas in the US, Miami isn't that bad after all. If you can afford it, pay the insurance (or go without if you own a SFH with no mortgage) and pray for no hurricanes.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I've been to Istanbul, Turkey in poor residential neighborhoods with broken glass in filthy streets and semi-dilapidated houses with brand new American and European brand cars parked in front of them. I can say the same about some suburbs of New York.

In my view, the real estate crash has gone some way in reducing the extent that Miami's housing is overpriced, though there is still some way to go. But the problem that won't be solved in the foreseeable future is the imbalance between luxury housing and the natural risks of the region that surround it, reflected in sky-high maintenance and insurance costs.

But taking a hard look at prices and taxes in other "desirable" areas in the US, Miami isn't that bad after all. If you can afford it, pay the insurance (or go without if you own a SFH with no mortgage) and pray for no hurricanes.
I disagree. When one takes, in my opinion, a look at other places in the US, I think it makes people even crazier to want to live in Miami. But if you're from Cuba or Haiti, I know Miami might be the best replica for them, and I can see why they would like Miami, but other than that, I dont see that many people really striving to get to Miami.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Miami is a great city but to live here is expensive and nobody right out of college is promised a job all you own is a sheepskin. Like I said before a desirable city to visit but have someplace pre-planned before coming as one can get ripped off if you are not smart.I think it would be a good idea to have family and friends here that can help you out to share rent,but have a decent paying job before coming.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I disagree. When one takes, in my opinion, a look at other places in the US, I think it makes people even crazier to want to live in Miami. But if you're from Cuba or Haiti, I know Miami might be the best replica for them, and I can see why they would like Miami, but other than that, I dont see that many people really striving to get to Miami.
If that were true, we wouldn't get any questions in this board and I doubt those questions are coming from Haiti or Cuba. Also I don't what parts of Miami you have visited that you think Miami looks like a Haiti/Cuba replica, but apparently you only visited Overtown and East Hialeah.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
I have heard Miami is like Cuba because of the ocean, the weather, the sunshine, the palm trees, the language, the culture. So is Puerto Rico. They say PR & Cuba are two birds of a feather. You could say Dominican Republic, Jamaica and any of the tropical islands are similar too.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
If that were true, we wouldn't get any questions in this board and I doubt those questions are coming from Haiti or Cuba. Also I don't what parts of Miami you have visited that you think Miami looks like a Haiti/Cuba replica, but apparently you only visited Overtown and East Hialeah.

You're right. Also folks from the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Colombia move to Miami. I could see why they'd like Miami, it's the closest thing they got to where they came from originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami