U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 PM

888 posts, read 720,499 times

Advertisements

So, I'm like one of those people who regularly take the Metro Mover... I usually transfer at College North on my way from Omni to the Financial District.

I find it very convenient.

As expected, however, I still have to shake my head at the diffrences between the two lines.

Omni Loop: More drunks, homeless, smelly, obnoxious...
Brickell Loop: Seems normal, better-dressed, quiet, less body odor, less smelly.

I realize that my neighborhood near the Arsht is about two blocks from the ghetto, but still, don't those bums want to ride the Brickell Loop too? It's not just the clients of the Camillus House that ride the Omni, right?

If the Mover ends up charging patrons to ride it, will we see a disappearance of the "Hotel for the Homeless on Wheels"?

In conclusion:

This is a nation, for the most part, that looks down on public transportation.
If newbies ride the Omni regularly like I do, they'd probably hate it.
If newbies just ride the Brickell, they'd probably like it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,952,930 times
Not sure if we are a "nation that hates public transport," but you really need a more urbanized environment for it to make sense. Hence it's better in places like NYC, Chicago, and Boston since there are more people living in the urban areas than like other cities where people live in the suburbs. Even in those places, you'll still see a bunch of homeless people but it will just be balanced with middle and upper class types. If it's free or low-price, then it's naturally going to attract those who absolutely need it to get around...

Old 11-26-2009, 12:16 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,853,944 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHf6m...rom=PL&index=2

Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,853,944 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkFiSnpEF-w

Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 AM

888 posts, read 720,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Not sure if we are a "nation that hates public transport," but you really need a more urbanized environment for it to make sense. Hence it's better in places like NYC, Chicago, and Boston since there are more people living in the urban areas than like other cities where people live in the suburbs. Even in those places, you'll still see a bunch of homeless people but it will just be balanced with middle and upper class types. If it's free or low-price, then it's naturally going to attract those who absolutely need it to get around...
To be fair to me, I never said that the nation "hates public transport". I'm not sure why you put that sentence in quotes.
I did say that much of the nation "looks down" on public transport - especially females.
There are only 8-10 cities which have decent to excellent ridership.
I, of course, compare attitudes with cities back in Europe where I used to live.
Regarding systems:
Even Chicago's El System is woefully inadequate. I would say LA and the Bay area aren't that great either.
The only cities that can even compare to Europe are BOS, NY, DC, and maybe PTLND. I give credit to Philly for their extensive suburban train system.
Chicago, while I love the El, needs way more lines. Too much time sitting in traffic on the bus.

I also did say that you put someone on Brickell Loop, and someone on Omni Loop, the Brickell rider would probably have a much more favorable opinion of the transit system. And just because we have an explanation why the ridership profile is the way it is, that doesn't mean we'll never have a more diverse profile. I am sure that eventually, we'll get it right down here - sooner rather than later. If World Center can get started, and Camillus House moved elsewhere, the Omni Loop profile will change.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,952,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
To be fair to me, I never said that the nation "hates public transport". I'm not sure why you put that sentence in quotes.
I did say that much of the nation "looks down" on public transport - especially females.
There are only 8-10 cities which have decent to excellent ridership.
I, of course, compare attitudes with cities back in Europe where I used to live.
Regarding systems:
Even Chicago's El System is woefully inadequate. I would say LA and the Bay area aren't that great either.
The only cities that can even compare to Europe are BOS, NY, DC, and maybe PTLND. I give credit to Philly for their extensive suburban train system.
Chicago, while I love the El, needs way more lines. Too much time sitting in traffic on the bus.

I also did say that you put someone on Brickell Loop, and someone on Omni Loop, the Brickell rider would probably have a much more favorable opinion of the transit system. And just because we have an explanation why the ridership profile is the way it is, that doesn't mean we'll never have a more diverse profile. I am sure that eventually, we'll get it right down here - sooner rather than later. If World Center can get started, and Camillus House moved elsewhere, the Omni Loop profile will change.
You're right, misquote on my part. Agree with your points though.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:02 AM

261 posts, read 642,678 times
I haven't noticed that about the loops, although I only use the metromover a few times a month, and mostly the Brickell Loop...I'll look to compare tho moving forward...

I also agree about the inadequacy of our public transportation system.

Unfortunately, our metrorail was only designed to ferry people from Kendall/South Miami/US-1 Corridor or Hialeah/Allapattah/Brownsville to Downtown for work, and back out again

Other than that, it doesn't go anywhere. It's almost unusable for tourists in terms of getting around and really seeing the city, as tourists can do in DC or NYC.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:05 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,463,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
I'll say it: I hate public transportation. However I do like the public transportation system in Europe, a train like every 2 or 3 minutes. Just not for me, let me drive my own car. I'll buy an electric car, whatever it takes I don't care.

About the homeless in Downtown. Yes they have been there for a long time. I know what you mean, but I don't think they can move them because no one will take them in their neighborhood. Many of them have mental problems and are confrontational too. The McDonalds by Miami Dade always has a homeless show there. I used to go there to get coffee and it was a nightmare most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami