Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 11,808 times

Advertisements

We're looking at moving back to Florida. DH grew up in Miami area and I lived 10 years in the Keys (Islamorada) many moons ago. We have a 3 year old so schools are of importance but I tend to gravitate towards Montessori/Steiner etc.
Here's what we're looking for. A bikeable town, live/work/school within biking distance. Near water a huge plus. Would like to be near Miami due to extended family. Looking at the Grove but not sure that's the best fit for us.
Input appreciated. Also possibly considering Key West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:37 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
I think this is going to be really difficult to find in Miami. Drivers don't respect other human beings' lives enough when they are in cars, let alone someone on a bicycle who is trying to share the road.

The Grove, certain parts of the Gables and South Miami are really the only areas that come to mind, and I still would not consider them to necessarily be bike "friendly" - bikeable, yes. I understand that the Brickell area is getting to be more walkable, so that might be an option as well. Other than that, the Keys are really the only other places I would consider bike friendly.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 11,808 times
Ugh, I was afraid of that. We currently live in the Rockies (colo) and it's the part of the lifestyle that we love about living here and I'd love to recreate that w/out snow in FL, prefer the south due to family but would be open to other areas as long as there's good water for fishing etc.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Miami Beach is pretty bike friendly. Over all Miami isn't a bike friendly town fyi.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 PM

170 posts, read 450,375 times
It's suicide to ride a bike in and around the Miami area. Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-11-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Key Biscayne, if you can afford it. But like miamiblue said, "bikeable" not necessarily "bike friendly."

Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM

140 posts, read 508,405 times
The city of Miami recently added a dedicated bicycle lane starting at the intersection of Coral Way/15th Rd down along South Miami Ave ending close to the Rickenbacker causeway. The Rickenbacker to Key Biscayne is a lovely scenic bicycle ride with beautiful water and coast views. It makes you forget you're just outside the city.

There are Bike clubs that meet very early in the morning on weekends (before traffic picks up) and ride the Midtown area, along with the area with the dedicated lanes i mentioned above.

If you prefer to go solo riding or as a couple instead of a group, it's best to choose wee early morning hours because most car drivers here have no respect for bikers, or road rules. Although you won't see many cyclists doing everyday errands or bicycling to work, you will find them out in force around midtown down to the grove, and across the causeway to key biscayne, early every weekend morning. You can bicycle the brickell area at that time with no worries about traffic.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
It's suicide to ride a bike in and around the Miami area. Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming
Gotta love the "deep " advice on Miami from a guy in the Florida panhandle 350 miles to the North ..... I have been biking in Coral Gables , Miami Shores , Pinecrest and Key Biscayne and all while certainly not as bike friendly as say Portland , Oregon for instance , were enjoyable and very bikeable .

Old 12-12-2009, 04:23 PM

208 posts, read 507,284 times
West Kendall has bike lanes that motorists drive on !!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 PM

170 posts, read 450,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Gotta love the "deep " advice on Miami from a guy in the Florida panhandle 350 miles to the North
Three things. I'm not a guy. The Florida panhandle is 650 miles to the North. And I grew up in Homestead. Still have a house in the Redlands. You can't get much deeper than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami