Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 42,120 times

Advertisements

Ok I grew up in Hialeah. Graduated from Hialeah Miami Lakes Sr. My mom still lives in Hialeah. Unfortunately Hialeah has always had a very bad rap. Yes it is PREDOMINANTLY hispanic yes mostly Cubans but it is very close knit. I would definetly suggest you try the 33014 zip code area West Hialeah or Hialeah Gardens. But your best bet will be Miami Lakes. It is North of the west of Hialeah. You will be right by Broward county also. Miami Lakes is wonderful the schools are great. It does have the feeling of living in Suburbia. The houses are not cookie cutters, they have great golfing, great restaurants, shopping near by. The beach is less than a half hour away. Don't let uniformed generalizations keep you away. Oh by the way you do not need to know spanish to get along, even if you are going to the cuban bakery for your cafe con leche. PM me if you need other info.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,455 times
if you are from st. louis then the hialeah crime will not bother you. just get a basic understanding of spanish and do not expect too much from people as most generally have a bad attitude.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,031 times
Hialeah is near a very nice neighborhood called Miami Lakes, although it is very different from Naples. If you are working in Hialeah then your commute will not be so bad. Please note that like many areas in Miami Dade County, there are many people who do not speak any English , and it may be hard for you to communicate at least for awhile. Also it is very different in Miami than it is in Naples. In Naples especially for families you have alot of beautiful parks and community centers, not so much here. I strongly suggest that you visit the area prior to accepting your transfer if possible.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
I moved to Miami from Cleveland 10 years ago. It certainly was a culture shock at first as I lived a very sheltered life in an upscale suburb of Cleveland. However, I now consider Miami home and do not regret for one minute moving to South Florida. Miami is an incredible city with very distinct and intersting areas. The people are for the most part incredibly outgoing. I look forward to many more happy years on Miami Beach and am very optimistic about the future of the magic city!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Someone put some photos of Hialeah on here, and although Ive lived in Miami I had never been there, and let me tell you I struggled at first thinking the poster put the wrong title on the photos.

I honestly thought the photos were of Vedado, a suburb in La Habana. The wire fences, house styles, garden styles, even pavement they use on the roads is IDENTICAL. That could be a good thing if the OP is looking for a cultural experience without leaving the country, but for me it just brought back memories of those 10 peso pizzas con queso and cajitas de congrí that I used to get in Vedado.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 PM

49 posts, read 172,400 times
hialeah is an ugly city on the outside but its not bad or violent. u have shelter and grocery stores, libraries, parks. people are always looking to lavish themselves. hialeah is not a bad place but definately not for picky buyers. i go to hialeah high school and they have great classes and a good curriculum. a few rotten kids but it's not too bad in case ur thinking of enrolling your kids there. braddock is ok too.
oh yeah and there are people there who cant speak english well but u have to compromise. its not overwhelmingly third worldish like some posters say but it is an overwhelming latin city. i take that as a plus. good luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 AM

156 posts, read 252,502 times
TropicalEl Vedado, in Havana, kicks the hell out of Hialeah and Miami.Those pizzas aren't worth ten pesos anymore, but 12 to 15. They don't have "chongas" there. What happens to those girls when they get there?

Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnaz_70 View Post
I am considering moving my family from St. Louis to Hialeah area. I would be working in Hialeah and want a relatively short commute. I am married with a 6 yr old and 3 yr old. Currently we send our son to public school primarily for cultural diversity. We lived in DC/Balto for 10 yrs prior to St. Louis and miss the cultural and racial diversity. We plan to spend about $400 on a house want a 3/2 with a pool or community pool, I will make about $130 - 140K a year. We do not speak spanish but would love to learn.

we love the slower pace of st. louis and the nice family atmoshpher, hate the cold weather, uninspired midwestern culture and food, and no ocean/bay to sail on. My parents retired to downtown Naples (we love it there) haven't been to the East side though.

Thoughts??????
I am quite late to the party - but just do not move to Hialeah. You will be so very sorry.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
TropicalEl Vedado, in Havana, kicks the hell out of Hialeah and Miami.Those pizzas aren't worth ten pesos anymore, but 12 to 15. They don't have "chongas" there. What happens to those girls when they get there?
I know one place in Vedado near Copelia that sells those pizzas for 7 pesos..but I dont know if its real cheese or melted condoms passing for cheese on them. But have you seen how vedado is falling apart now? Thats why I thought it looked like Hialeah. If not, maybe El Cerro is more like it...

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I know one place in Vedado near Copelia that sells those pizzas for 7 pesos..but I dont know if its real cheese or melted condoms passing for cheese on them. But have you seen how vedado is falling apart now? Thats why I thought it looked like Hialeah. If not, maybe El Cerro is more like it...
People still believe the melted condom story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami