Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 62,164 times

Advertisements

Hello - I've done a lot of research since my original post and seems the above communities "look" most like what we'd like to find upon our move to Miami. Again, we are looking for good schools (k-5 & preschool), decent commute to MIA and approx $400k budget.

We've also been told about Weston & Cooper City. I like the housing stock in the title communities vs the cookie cutter of Weston & Cooper City. Weston & Cooper City seem a long commute from MIA as well.

Schools - I read about Palmetto High but not elementary. Any commentary here? Coral Gables vs. Pinecrest - I know it's will be a horrible stretch at $400k to get into these communities, but based on what I read, they seem a good fit. Coconut Grove sounds like where we currently live (artistic, young families, walking neighborhood, but don't cross certain streets for "bad" areas). We are currently in an inner-ring walking neighborhood of a rust belt city. I get a diverse neighborhood, so while still getting to walk to restaurants & grocery, I'd like more kids in the neighborhood w/o having to move to a cookie cutter neighborhood. But I struggle - should I go cookie cutter to get more kids for my kids....

We'll most likely rent 6-12 months, but my interview process has gone incredibly fast and need some more help as I do quick research on "cookie-cutter" vs. closer to Miami proper. I'll probably have a scouting trip in next 2 weeks.

Help!
"Confused up North!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Pinecrest Elem is really good I hear. I would be surprised if you can get into a house in Pinecrest, Coral Gables or Coconut Grove for 400k, unless its serious fixer upper. Palmetto Bay and East Kendall (Look east of the 874, south of Sunset Drive to 136 Street) is probably closer to your budget, good schools in this area too. I like East Kendall more than Palmetto Bay just for the fact Palmetto Bay is getting further from things, so if you decide on Palmetto Bay stay to the northern section closer to Pinecrest, but then you may not find something at 400k.

As far as having kids in the neighborhood for your children to play with. You will find kids in all these areas, but traditionally, younger families will be in the newer neighborhoods not the established ones where older people traditionally live. So you would need to look west or south in Miami-Dade. Broward you would just look at places west. I live in an established area in the areas you are looking, and we probably have 6 homes out 50 homes that have children in them to give you an example. But friends of mine live in the newer areas down south closer to Homestead and there are lots of children in the neighborhood.

For the cookie cutter home question, you traditionally get less of a yard in these communities than in the older neighborhoods. They are traditionally closer together. So it all depends on what you want.

When you visit you will get a better idea of the lay of the land and renting for a year is a good idea, this way you get time to get to know the areas before you purchase.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:57 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser1102 View Post
Hello - I've done a lot of research since my original post and seems the above communities "look" most like what we'd like to find upon our move to Miami. Again, we are looking for good schools (k-5 & preschool), decent commute to MIA and approx $400k budget.

We've also been told about Weston & Cooper City. I like the housing stock in the title communities vs the cookie cutter of Weston & Cooper City. Weston & Cooper City seem a long commute from MIA as well.

Schools - I read about Palmetto High but not elementary. Any commentary here? Coral Gables vs. Pinecrest - I know it's will be a horrible stretch at $400k to get into these communities, but based on what I read, they seem a good fit. Coconut Grove sounds like where we currently live (artistic, young families, walking neighborhood, but don't cross certain streets for "bad" areas). We are currently in an inner-ring walking neighborhood of a rust belt city. I get a diverse neighborhood, so while still getting to walk to restaurants & grocery, I'd like more kids in the neighborhood w/o having to move to a cookie cutter neighborhood. But I struggle - should I go cookie cutter to get more kids for my kids....

We'll most likely rent 6-12 months, but my interview process has gone incredibly fast and need some more help as I do quick research on "cookie-cutter" vs. closer to Miami proper. I'll probably have a scouting trip in next 2 weeks.

Help!
"Confused up North!"
I would say you have a handle on the better communities in Dade County as the ones listed along with Miami Shores are tops .... I am not so crazy about Coconut Grove as a place to live with kids ... great place for nightlife and partying ... but family life I do not think so . I would prefer either Weston or Cooper City in Broward County to raise families , but if you are set on Miami Dade your listed areas are the way to go .

Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Palmetto Bay is probably more doable with your budget. Elementary schools are Coral Reef, Perrine, and Howard Drive; CR and P feed into Southwood Middle, HD goes to Palmetto Middle (though Southwood has a magnet program), and all of them feed to Palmetto High. The feeder pattern as a whole might be the best in Dade County. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Surfside

Thanks all! I've seen a reco for Surfside - must say I LOVE the location. Elementary looks good, but middle/high not so much. We are years away from that being an issue.

Any fans of Surfside out there, with kids?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:

Help!
"Confused up North!"
Full disclosure: I am part of the "say no to cookie-cutter communities" crowd, and my recommendations on this forum reflect that. I don't recommend sprawling suburban communities to anyone unless an OP asks for that, and it seems to me that you do not want that, thus making my answer easier.

Your children are too young at this point for you to be worrying about the public high schools (which would be the case if you lived in Coconut Grove). Also, you should know that Miami-Dade has a few different magnet schools and specialty high schools (that are very well-regarded) and that your children do not have to attend the school for which they are zoned if they are accepted to one of those schools. Some examples: one of my friends who lived in an area zoned for Miami HS (not known to be a "good" school) went to South Miami HS (magnet program), someone else I know who lived in an area zoned for Southwest Miami HS (decent school) went to New World School for the Arts (specialized high school that has a great reputation), and someone else who lived in the Killian HS (good reputation) attendance zone elected to attend Coral Reef HS (good magnet school).

The elementary and middle schools for which Coconut Grove is zoned are fine, as are all of the schools in Pinecrest, East Kendall, South Miami, Palmetto Bay, Coral Gables, and similar suburban yet non-cookie cutter areas. Even some of the elementary and middle schools in other Miami-proper neighborhoods (Coral Way K-8, for example) have good reputations.

I was just looking at houses online this past weekend, so I'll comment on how much of a stretch your $400,000 budget is:
-Palmetto Bay: you can easily find a non-fixer upper within budget
-Pinecrest: it's not likely that you'll be able to buy a non-fixer upper within budget
-East Kendall: you can easily find a non-fixer upper within budget
-Coconut Grove: it's possible to find a single-family home within budget, but most of the <$400,000 homes are fixer-uppers. You can, however, get a townhome within budget.
-South Miami: east of US1, finding a non-fixer upper within budget is possible, but not likely. West of US1, it is likely.
-Coral Gables: finding a non-fixer upper within budget is possible, but most of the <$400,000 homes are fixer-uppers.
-Surfside: finding a non-fixer upper within budget is possible, but most of the <$400,000 homes are fixer-uppers.

So.... don't be discouraged, as your budget is fine to get you into most of the neighborhoods in which you're interested. All of the neighborhoods I have discussed are nice, safe areas (with exception to the western part of Coconut Grove and, to a lesser, extent a small part of South Miami west of US1 - I'll detail where these areas are if you'd like) with decent-to-excellent schools and there's no reason to move to Broward "for the kids" except to get a larger house.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and best of luck. In the meantime, I'll leave you with a Google map of Miami-Dade neighborhoods I made several months ago: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...15921&t=h&z=11

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks crisp444. I'd actually come across your map and had already bookmarked - it's great! And I've been reading through the multiple posts (including yours) for the neighborhoods I mentioned as well as Weston & Cooper City. MORE confused than ever. High school is very "far away" but we are currently in a location with not great high schools and if we make this move to FL, I don't want to feel pressure in 8-10 years to move again, just due to schools.

I've should hear early this week about a trip down to explore and I'm sure that will be very insightful.

Thanks all

Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks crisp444. I'd actually come across your map and had already bookmarked - it's great! And I've been reading through the multiple posts (including yours) for the neighborhoods I mentioned as well as Weston & Cooper City. MORE confused than ever. High school is very "far away" but we are currently in a location with not great high schools and if we make this move to FL, I don't want to feel pressure in 8-10 years to move again, just due to schools.

I've should hear early this week about a trip down to explore and I'm sure that will be very insightful.

Thanks all
I understand your concern. If you don't want to worry about private school or your child getting into a magnet/specialty high school, you should eliminate Coconut Grove and Surfside from your list and concentrate on the other places we've discussed. In Broward, Cooper City is best for your situation, and in Miami-Dade, Coral Gables/East Kendall/South Miami/Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay are best.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Curious why Cooper City over Weston for Broward? Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Curious why Cooper City over Weston for Broward? Thanks!
Either would be fine, but if I had to choose between the two I would choose Cooper City. Though it is overall less affluent, it is more established, seems to have more of a feeling of community, and is less cookie-cutter. Don't get me wrong, Weston is nice (one of the nicest "master planned" areas in all of Florida), but those kind of places aren't my style. Another place I like is Pembroke Lakes (northernmost area of Pembroke Pines), a neighborhood directly to the south of Cooper City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami