Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that many jobs in Miami and the south Florida area require applicants to be bilingual. I don't speak Spanish well enough to conduct business but in the near future Miami is a possible move for me. I am willing to learn as of now time is not permitting me to do so. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I've noticed that many jobs in Miami and the south Florida area require applicants to be bilingual. I don't speak Spanish well enough to conduct business but in the near future Miami is a possible move for me. I am willing to learn as of now time is not permitting me to do so. Any suggestions?
It really depends on the specific job but I know people in Miami doing just fine without speaking Spanish. Also, many of the Spanish-speaking people do not even have to use Spanish on the job, especially if the job is in law or business (to a lesser extent). Many businesses do deal heavily with Latin America, however, and thus many of them prefer bilingual applicants. What is your job field?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
As of now I'm a network engineer but finishing my degree in Finance because of higher income potential and more free time (I'm on call 24/7 365). I expect to be done in the next year or so and will be persuinf law school in the state of Florida or an MBA program.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Spanish is a big plus but in no way required to live in Miami and make money. I know MANY people in the Miami area who makes lots of Money and do not speak a word of spanish.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
As of now I'm a network engineer but finishing my degree in Finance because of higher income potential and more free time (I'm on call 24/7 365). I expect to be done in the next year or so and will be persuinf law school in the state of Florida or an MBA program.
You will be fine without speaking a word of Spanish in IT, finance, or law. No worries at all. I grew up down there and know people who speak little-to-no Spanish and are doing fine with their careers.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,602 times
While you don't need Spanish to be successful in Miami, it would be to your benefit to learn at least some conversational Spanish...it's always good to know another language anyway!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
I am not so sure about that. I remember when I moved here 15 years ago speaking spanish at work was frowned on and could get you fired because many businesses felt that it was insulting to the general public to speak in two languages. Then it moved to "Well if the person does not speak English it is ok" to over the edge. Now I see many people who can speak English better than me walking up to me and asking to speak to someone in Spanish. It makes me feel retarded or something and I feel it is racist. Sometimes I tell them that no one is available and then they go off in English like nothing is happening. At that point it makes me feel more angry but because I am in a people business I leave it alone.

The place I work at had a policy that when they would place advertisments for jobs at the end they would put Spanish preferred. Now in order to work where I do you have to speak English because it is the nature of the business but when I would try to go for a promotion I was called off because of this policy. I wrote a letter to HR and complained and they stopped putting it on the advertisements but are still practicing the policy. All of my clients have to speak English because all of the programs are in English so I don't see where they get off having this policy.

It is almost impossible to truely succeed in Miami without speaking Spanish but those who require it and don't try to encourage the countries general language also limit themselves to only being able to succeed in Miami. Hey I lived in Texas and the Spanish people were proud they could speak English.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Spanish is a big plus but in no way required to live in Miami and make money. I know MANY people in the Miami area who makes lots of Money and do not speak a word of spanish.
FlyMIA, I was just curious to what industries do those people you know work in, and what type of work do they do where skills in Spanish are not necessarily needed.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
I think Garbage man may come to mind.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Spanish is a big plus but in no way required to live in Miami and make money. I know MANY people in the Miami area who makes lots of Money and do not speak a word of english.

fixed, serious though, one of my friends parents are millionaires, and they barely speak English, cause he owns a company that exports and imports to Colombia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami