Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 30,762 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone out there can calm down my fears. At least somewhat. LOL

I lost my job back in Michigan, and to make a long story short, my husband and I moved to Boynton Beach area approx 4 months ago, and all is going really well here. However...
I landed a decent job near the Kendall / Tamiami airport in Kendall (north side) so we are going to move down to Kendall. Managed to find a 2 bdr apt that we will rent in the Hammocks neighborhood.

But here's where I'm freaking out....
Eventually our dream is to buy a home (or condo w/ a yard, that would allow our 50 lb dog ) but I am wondering how affordable is Miami for a very middle class couple like us. We're not exactly young anymore (mid 40s) and we don't have TIME to build up a nest egg, etc ... .. I'm thinking that if we want to move into a home again we have to set our sights on more affordabe areas such as Homestead. Now, I realize that on this forum it's been really pegged as an unsafe area.... my question is just HOW UNSAFE is it? I mean, we owned a home in Detroit,(obviously a dangerous city) so we understand crime and all the dangers it entails, so maybe Homestead would not be such a scary place for us?

I guess what I'm asking everyone is your 2 cents on affordable housing around the Kendall neighborhoods, and / or thoughts on just how bad Homestead is. I guess I should mention we'd be looking at no more than 150K for a home... I don't think we'd get approved for much more than that. I dunno maybe a decent condo is do able in Kendall for that price?????

THanks in advance for any thoughts / input etc!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,779,044 times
You will find something in South Dade that is reasonable. Your fears are understandable, but not really properly placed. As with everything - things on this Board are exaggerated. I think your biggest challenge with living in that area will be frustration with traffic. There is a condo behind the mall on Kendall and 88th that was always very reasonably priced and is well located and there are nice areas - you will find something. Take a day and go down and tour to ease your concerns.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
For 150k you can get a condo or townhome probably, but still not in a great area. People don't see Homestead as unsafe, its just different, the people are less affluent, the amenities are less than in Kendall (though they have gotten a lot more stores and restaurants the last 10 years). There are some nice/safe areas down there. The best thing to do, like the last member said, take a day drive down to Homestead and spend the day down there. See for your self, each one of us has a different opinion is based on our own views. Put it this way I know people that think Naranja is a great/safe place to live and shop, which in my opinion isn't so nice.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,046,352 times
You can probably buy a house with a big lot(by Miami standards) in Leisure City. It's not very appealing to the eyes, but the lots are big (for your dog) and it's safer than Naranja & Goulds. I heard of someone who bought a home with 10,000 sqft lot for a very cheap price(and financed it which I was surprised any bank would finance such a small mortgage). I'm not sure if you have children but if you don't you will have more choices as schools are not a concern.

I don't recommend any new constructions, especially in Homestead as most of them have Chinese Drywall issues.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM

13 posts, read 30,762 times
Great tips everyone thank you so much !

And Princ3ss .. no we don't have children, so we don't have to really worry about schools (unless we ever decided to sell I guess).

Once we get settled a bit into the new apartment, I'm sure we'll l take some drives around the places you guys mentioned and get a feel for the neighborhoods.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,538,788 times
I would try the Princeton area east of US 1 and west of Allapatah Road on SW 248 street. half rural with newer homes along that street. Also try Cutler Bay east of US 1 too.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM

18 posts, read 63,139 times
You should be fine with that budget. Depending upon how far south you go, you might be able to do well. There are lots of foreclosures down south, so if that doesn't bother you then you could get something larger with a yard. Like StilltheSame said - traffic out there is probably going to be your biggest issue.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 PM

6 posts, read 18,331 times
I currently live near the Kendall area and it is not as bad as people say. I personally do not like the homestead area. Since the real estate market has been affected because of the economy you can find a great deal in homes in nice areas. You should stay around the kendall area. I live about ten minutes from the Hammocks and it is a nice area for a couple. You can get a great deal on townhomes. 248 st is pretty far and very down south. I work down south but would not live there.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 AM

60 posts, read 95,823 times
Default What is a decent job?

You make reference to a decent job that you have landed in the Tamiami Airport area-you should be able to find affordable housing within that vicinity either in the Hammocks area (though there is a lot of reported gang activity there) or in the Country Walk area. I understand your anxiety-I would stay away from the entire S. FL area if I were you.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,109,933 times
I personally DO like the Homestead area and have lived here since 1978. You may ask any questions about the area (dm me if you like). I live in the older part of Homestead. Most of the homes in my neighborhood were built in the 1940-50's range - well built, solid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami