Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times

Advertisements

first what you were saying doggiebus with your dad almost getting mugged, and now this. geez

Gables jogger shot, killed
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_dade/story/118257.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I am telling you something is up. Something changed around January. I don't know why, but it just seems like there are more burgalaries, car break-ins, what ever happening. Maybe I am just more aware, but I have always been aware, so I don't htink this is the case. First a month and a half ago, I thearted my house from getting broken in to (they moved on to the next block and broke in to someones house over there) neighbors that have lived in my area for awhile said we never had crime in this are like we have in the last few months, my parents neighbors got broken into a months ago (but got home in time to scare the guys away) nothing ever happen like that in the 25 years they have lived in their area, then my father almost getting mugged three nights ago, and now my sisters place getting broken into in the Gables. Now a jogger getting shot in the Gables. Something is up.

I have said this all along, it doesn't matter were you live. The cops told me criminals go into the good areas, because they know... I don't know what changed, I am just so fed up with having to look over my shoulder all the time. I want to be able to live in a place that I feel safe walking my dog at night in. Or beable to leave my windows open at night, with out the fear that someone is going to crawl through the window. And I live in a good area, I could only imagine what someone feels like living in the not so nice areas.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
i think its time to arm ourselves. i need to be able to survive here until march '08.

i bet alot of this has to do with desperation from the fallout of the realestate market and from all those poor construction workers who had jobs during the housing boom but dont have any now. price of gas going up making finances tighter etc.
since im not your typical miamian i dont have alot of things in the house people would find valuable. i have a modest tv, older computers, etc.
my gf isnt really into jewelry and we never keep cash lying around the house.
any person breaking in isnt going to find much theyd want. at least i have that going for me.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Cixel, that is funny! But yah, you need a gun here, if not just for hurricane season, who knows if and when we get hit again. You needed a gun during Andrew, "You loot we shoot" was written on many homes. I am already armed, my parents are armed and know how to shoot. It is really sad to see my home city go the way it is going. It is also sad to watch my friends leave each year, one by one, but they are just fed up. As you know we are trying to leave, but my better half has some roots here, but this week one of the roots got cut, so one step closer to leaving...

Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM

113 posts, read 468,990 times
Umm, wtf?? Did anyone read that story.... He got shot while jogging, AND THEN CONTINUED to jog home?

Probably could have been saved if he got medical attention immediately.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 PM

183 posts, read 567,812 times
Nobody should be out jogging at night in any part of America, no matter what part of town you live in. You think that guys are not out there looking for lone joggers to pick off? His assailant might have been watching him jog for a couple of weeks until he had the right set-up to make the move on him. Better to take the crime stats seriously and not engage in risky behaviour.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:05 AM

184 posts, read 611,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjam View Post
Nobody should be out jogging at night in any part of America, no matter what part of town you live in. You think that guys are not out there looking for lone joggers to pick off? His assailant might have been watching him jog for a couple of weeks until he had the right set-up to make the move on him. Better to take the crime stats seriously and not engage in risky behaviour.

Yes , crime is bad in Miami and it is a shame this happened in Coral Gables which is one of the few places I really like in Dade County , but this can and does happen everywhere in the country . Do not want to hear that "I am wearing rose colored glasses " .... I am currently in San Antonio , Texas on business and getting ready to drive back to Houston for my flight back to Miami International ( Uggghhh !! ) and just yesterday there was a home invasion here in Stone Oak where one person was killed and another beaten up and shot , as well as a bank robbery in nearby Alamo Ranch that made the local news . Stone Oak is a beautiful upscale area near San Antonio something akin to Boca Raton in Florida and Alamo Ranch would be something comparable to Parkland . San Antonio is great and I would live here in a heart beat , but crime is an issue especially gang activity ... sound familiar ?

Houston is much worse , where there is at least a murder every day , plus a huge incidence of violent robberies , gangs, home invasions ... you name it . Nonetheless it is a great city as well , with tons of culture and things to do ... you just have to take precautions and not be careless like this jogger in Coral Gables was ...... who the heck jogs at 11:00 p.m ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami