Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
 
10 posts, read 28,769 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I'm a single black female looking to move from Atlanta back to my home state of Florida. I admit I like living here because of the big city feel however I can't stand being away from the water. I'm from Jacksonville and being in a place that surrounded by water and bridges makes me feel like more at home. So I'm thinking that either Miami or Tampa would be best for me considering I've already tried Jacksonville. Jacksonville has the land but not the big city feel. I'm researching to see what would be the best place for a single girl to live that would be convenient for commuting for jobs and nightlife. It doesn't have to all in one place. Right now my job and home is all within 5 minutes from each other. it's cool but sometimes you just want to leave the neighborhood. I'm 29 so a college area would not be for me. My salary is in the $45K yr range. I don't have kids so that won't be a problem either. My cousin has a place near the beach but she is kickin out $1000 for a 650 sqft apt on the beach. That won't work for me considering I'm in a townhouse now. But I will be willing if that’s the average. If you can give me some ideas on neighborhoods and places it would be appreciated. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
 
112 posts, read 281,480 times
Reputation: 55
tampa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL
259 posts, read 837,110 times
Reputation: 236
I really never recommend Miami to young single hip middle/upper middle class black women but always keep an open mind because to each his own and it may work for some people. If you feel like you HAVE to come down here for whatever reason, I would actually recommend the Broward County areas. More specifically Pembroke Pines, West Miramar, Plantation, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, downtown Hollywood (if you like that vibe) and Sunrise. Please do yourself a huge favor though and visit several times first and create a realistic picture of yourself living in this area (ie. talk to several ppl, go to the grocery stores, and do regular everyday type things). Read the few threads on the middleclass black experience down here. As far as the nightlife, professional/social experience, and division of neighborhoods, it is definitely not an Atlanta (or probabaly similar to any other American city for that matter) and a lot of people go through a culture/city shock in a sense. Don't get me wrong, deep down inside S Florida really is a good area, but only meant for a certain type of person to really enjoy what it has to offer. We can actually switch places because I'm heading to Atlanta! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 PM
 
173 posts, read 408,317 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
I really never recommend Miami to young single hip middle/upper middle class black women but always keep an open mind because to each his own and it may work for some people. If you feel like you HAVE to come down here for whatever reason, I would actually recommend the Broward County areas. More specifically Pembroke Pines, West Miramar, Plantation, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, downtown Hollywood (if you like that vibe) and Sunrise. Please do yourself a huge favor though and visit several times first and create a realistic picture of yourself living in this area (ie. talk to several ppl, go to the grocery stores, and do regular everyday type things). Read the few threads on the middleclass black experience down here. As far as the nightlife, professional/social experience, and division of neighborhoods, it is definitely not an Atlanta (or probabaly similar to any other American city for that matter) and a lot of people go through a culture/city shock in a sense. Don't get me wrong, deep down inside S Florida really is a good area, but only meant for a certain type of person to really enjoy what it has to offer. We can actually switch places because I'm heading to Atlanta! Good Luck!


Im sorry, I use to live in ATL for years ( I am actually from Georiga) and Miami is way better than ATL... The only thing that ATL has to offer is a cheaper cost of living even though they build a house in like 2 days up there lol. So the housing structure is a lot stronger down here. A lot of the clubs in ATL now is not what it is use to be. To me a lot of them is ghetto with a lot of 18 yr old and up clubs. Me personally if you can afford to live in south florida it would be a good experience. If you head to ATL I hope you have a job ready because its hard to find one there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
 
Location: United States
47 posts, read 167,309 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia1519 View Post
I'm a single black female looking to move from Atlanta back to my home state of Florida. I admit I like living here because of the big city feel however I can't stand being away from the water. I'm from Jacksonville and being in a place that surrounded by water and bridges makes me feel like more at home. So I'm thinking that either Miami or Tampa would be best for me considering I've already tried Jacksonville. Jacksonville has the land but not the big city feel. I'm researching to see what would be the best place for a single girl to live that would be convenient for commuting for jobs and nightlife. It doesn't have to all in one place. Right now my job and home is all within 5 minutes from each other. it's cool but sometimes you just want to leave the neighborhood. I'm 29 so a college area would not be for me. My salary is in the $45K yr range. I don't have kids so that won't be a problem either. My cousin has a place near the beach but she is kickin out $1000 for a 650 sqft apt on the beach. That won't work for me considering I'm in a townhouse now. But I will be willing if that’s the average. If you can give me some ideas on neighborhoods and places it would be appreciated. thanks.
the cost of living in Miami is higher. You would need to make at least 55,000 to maintain your current standard of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,685 posts, read 6,397,786 times
Reputation: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by md911 View Post
Im sorry, I use to live in ATL for years ( I am actually from Georiga) and Miami is way better than ATL... The only thing that ATL has to offer is a cheaper cost of living even though they build a house in like 2 days up there lol. So the housing structure is a lot stronger down here. A lot of the clubs in ATL now is not what it is use to be. To me a lot of them is ghetto with a lot of 18 yr old and up clubs. Me personally if you can afford to live in south florida it would be a good experience. If you head to ATL I hope you have a job ready because its hard to find one there...
(Don't ever take advice from someone who cannot make a connection between subject and verb). J/K..

But great advice at the end. Don't move without a job.


On a serious note, if you're doing ok in Atlanta, I would never advise you to move to South Florida. I will send you a PM about that later on. The cost of living is higher here, and pay is not that great for most professions. Unless you're in health care, you may do OK. My wife read your post, and screamed "NO"!!!! at the computer screen, as I laughed (She's a black (Caribbean) professional woman like yourself) who left South Florida for Atlanta. She's a nurse in Atlanta, and would not move to South Florida for the world. Her pay went up slightly in Atlanta (~ +16-17%). For you to move here without work, or with a salary comparable to what you're making in Atlanta, I say "BIG Mistake!" However, every situation is different.

I don't know what your likes are, but I feel I can take the risk by telling you, that you will be disappointed. I know the feeling of living close to the water, but my dear if those are the few things you crave....take a few weekend drives to Savannah, or a few flights down to Miami to enjoy your weekends. It's a different animal down here. Again, I will send you a PM.

Tampa is not a bad choice, but a bit slower than Atlanta. Orlando is not close to the water like you crave, but has a vibrant, young, black professional community. Better than South Florida. (I have Data to back it up too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta/DC
563 posts, read 2,766,066 times
Reputation: 299
I wouldn't recommend it.

I left South Florida (I'm a Miami native) for Atlanta and let me tell you--I wasn't the only one. There's a black brain drain going on down there--many young black professionals have left South Florida for greener pastures in other areas. The article below is an older article, but it discusses it in detail:
http://metropolitan.fiu.edu/download...iamiHerald.pdf

Another thing: I don't know what field you're in, but 45K in Atlanta is not the same in Miami. You will not have the same quality of living. Just off the top of my head, I know car insurance and housing is more expensive. My younger sister is paying $1200 a month for a nice 700 sq ft apartment in a gated community in South Florida...my mortgage on my 1500 sq ft townhouse in metro Atlanta is less than that. Oh, and compensation? Chances are greater that pay in Miami is a lot less than what you'd make in Atlanta. In my field (I'm in the education field) I make 16K more up here than I do down there. I can understand missing the water (shoot I do too) but unless you went to the beach everyday, the trade off will get old rather quickly.

Definitely check out Orlando or Tampa. I'm not afraid to tell anyone--as a young black single professional? Miami is nice to visit, but not to live unless you're quite wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 30,784,976 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

(I have Data to back it up too).
Show it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,685 posts, read 6,397,786 times
Reputation: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Show it.
Not to you. (J/K).

I sent the OP a DM, and pass it along if she wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
 
173 posts, read 408,317 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
(Don't ever take advice from someone who cannot make a connection between subject and verb). J/K..

But great advice at the end. Don't move without a job.

On a serious note, if you're doing ok in Atlanta, I would never advise you to move to South Florida. I will send you a PM about that later on. The cost of living is higher here, and pay is not that great for most professions. Unless you're in health care, you may do OK. My wife read your post, and screamed "NO"!!!! at the computer screen, as I laughed (She's a black (Caribbean) professional woman like yourself) who left South Florida for Atlanta.She's a nurse in Atlanta, and would not move to South Florida for the world. Her pay went up slightly in Atlanta (~ +16-17%). For you to move here without work, or with a salary comparable to what you're making in Atlanta, I say "BIG Mistake!" However, every situation is different.

I don't know what your likes are, but I feel I can take the risk by telling you, that you will be disappointed. I know the feeling of living close to the water, but my dear if those are the few things you crave....take a few weekend drives to Savannah, or a few flights down to Miami to enjoy your weekends. It's a different animal down here. Again, I will send you a PM.

Tampa is not a bad choice, but a bit slower than Atlanta. Orlando is not close to the water like you crave, but has a vibrant, young, black professional community. Better than South Florida. (I have Data to back it up too).

She was lucky if her pay went up in ATL, if I was to move back to ATL I will lose around 16% of my salary because of the cost of living. I am confused, it seems like you say she will be disappointed if she move to ATL. Also, I am young black professional and I moved from Atl to South Florida and I do not regret it. Believe me, its a lot of young professionals in South Florida it is just more diverse which is a good thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top