Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 12,517 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family is moving to Miami this summer. My husband will work in Doral (Southcom) and I will most likely be working there as well. I have read through the various posts and have taken note of all the negatives regarding Doral. With that said, we are still considering moving to Doral because we want to be closer to work. Is this a good idea considering our personal characteristics? Also considering Coral Gables.

-Husband grew up in Miami, is Cuban, and is fluent is Spanish. I, on the other hand, am Caucasian and from the south. I am learning Spanish but not fluent.
-We have two elementary school children. One is in a dual language immersion program and is learning Spanish. We want to continue with this education
-We are both educated; both have an MBA. I include this because it is extremely important for us to live around similar people (educated)
-We would like to spend no more than $3000 per month on rent
-We are renting because we will be leaving the area in 2-3 years and are not interested in taking a chance on the real estate
-We would not be happy living in a community where multiple generations are living in the same home and they can only afford living there because of multiple incomes contributing.
-We don't mind diversity. We have lived all over the country and traveled extensively. An all Hispanic neighborhood is fine with us as long as they are similar to us (educated, professionals, young families)
-We don't mind newer communities as long as our other criteria are met
-We both are extremely active and having a place to run and workout is a must

With all this said, would we most likely fit-in in Doral? If so, what are the best communities in Doral to live in given our budget and characteristics.

Thanks a bunch! Also, FYI, I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I am simply stating our desires and not judging anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,057,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtomia View Post
Hello,
My family is moving to Miami this summer. My husband will work in Doral (Southcom) and I will most likely be working there as well. I have read through the various posts and have taken note of all the negatives regarding Doral. With that said, we are still considering moving to Doral because we want to be closer to work. Is this a good idea considering our personal characteristics? Also considering Coral Gables.

-Husband grew up in Miami, is Cuban, and is fluent is Spanish. I, on the other hand, am Caucasian and from the south. I am learning Spanish but not fluent.
-We have two elementary school children. One is in a dual language immersion program and is learning Spanish. We want to continue with this education
-We are both educated; both have an MBA. I include this because it is extremely important for us to live around similar people (educated)
-We are renting because we will be leaving the area in 2-3 years and are not interested in taking a chance on the real estate
-We would not be happy living in a community where multiple generations are living in the same home and they can only afford living there because of multiple incomes contributing.
-We don't mind diversity. We have lived all over the country and traveled extensively. An all Hispanic neighborhood is fine with us as long as they are similar to us (educated, professionals, young families)

With all this said, would we most likely fit-in in Doral? If so, what are the best communities in Doral to live in given our budget and characteristics.

Thanks a bunch! Also, FYI, I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I am simply stating our desires and not judging anyone.
Ok , do not mean to be a jerk .... but are you aware that many if not most Cubans in Miami are Caucasian ?

So are you implying that your husband is a black Cuban .. I only ask because if he is he might not be as comfortable in Doral as a white Cuban or as you say Caucasian would be ?

Doral is probably 85% Hispanic .... that said it is mostly middle class and upper middle class and for the most part a nice area .. you will hear a lot of Spanish spoken especially as it is a place where many recently arrived well to do Venezuelans and Colombians like to live . If your husband speaks fluent Spanish that will help tremendously ... my wife and I are the opposite .. she is fluent .... Cuban American by the way with blonde hair and green eyes .... I guess that would make her a Caucasian ?

Anyhow I am not fluent so living in a place like Doral would be a tad frustrating for me ... if you are tolerant you will be ok . You will be able to rent a very nice home for $ 3,000.00 a month ... I would look in Doral Isles .

Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,635,590 times
Quote:
Hello,

Doral would be a fine place to live. Lots of middle and upper-middle class families and good schools. Coral Gables is much nicer, in my opinion, due to that it has historic architecture, a nice downtown, and is more walkable. Coral Gables has a mix of middle class, upper-middle class, and upper-income people and schools are well-regarded there as well. Doral is heavily Hispanic; Coral Gables has almost as many non-Hispanic residents as it does Hispanics. Based on your situation, the demographics of either place would be fine for you.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM

350 posts, read 1,516,025 times
For the dual language immersion program, as well as all the other criteria, you should consider Miami Springs, immediately east of Doral. Springview Elementary in that city is a bilingual English/Spanish school. It's a good school, small, and has been an A school for many years.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,035,393 times
Quote:
We are both educated; both have an MBA. I include this because it is extremely important for us to live around similar people (educated)
Are you serious? Definetely Doral is NOT for you. The hispanics there don't behave very MBAish. They tend to speak Spanish all the time without caring if you understand them or not. I don't think you will be able to have an intellectual talk with them... at least in English and probably not even in Spanish

Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,741,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Are you serious? Definetely Doral is NOT for you. The hispanics there don't behave very MBAish. They tend to speak Spanish all the time without caring if you understand them or not. I don't think you will be able to have an intellectual talk with them... at least in English and probably not even in Spanish
Really? That is not a plus then - Princess - I would like to DM you about something but that is not available on your page can you DM me so that I can ask you the question? Thank you.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,857,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
For the dual language immersion program, as well as all the other criteria, you should consider Miami Springs, immediately east of Doral. Springview Elementary in that city is a bilingual English/Spanish school. It's a good school, small, and has been an A school for many years.

yeah springview changed the last year i was there, 2001, it went to become an A from being a C

Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 PM

535 posts, read 1,405,921 times
Doral is a nice area, but not the best, I like more the Gables. In Coral Gables you'll find higher educated people than in Doral, which is most recently arrived Venezuelans. I'm not saying Venezuelans are uneducated, but Doral is waaaaaaay less educated. South Florida educational level is very low, you won't see many people with Doctorate's or Master's. Ckeck out educational attainment on this website. For schools, I suggest to consider private because in Miami is hard to find good public schools.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,057,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Doral is a nice area, but not the best, I like more the Gables. In Coral Gables you'll find higher educated people than in Doral, which is most recently arrived Venezuelans. I'm not saying Venezuelans are uneducated, but Doral is waaaaaaay less educated. South Florida educational level is very low, you won't see many people with Doctorate's or Master's. Ckeck out educational attainment on this website. For schools, I suggest to consider private because in Miami is hard to find good public schools.

Coral Gables is much nicer than Doral .. no doubt about it and you have an older more "Americanized " meaning assimilated Hispanic American population .. you also still have large pockets of white non hispanics living in Coral Gables whereas Doral is 85-90% Hispanic with many recent arrivals from Colombia and Venezuela ... I find the former to be much better educated and down to earth than the latter ( Venezuelans seem to be all about appearances ) .... the Gables hands down !!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 77,943 times
Default Similar Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I just joined this site because I just moved to Miami as well. I grew up in Miami but then was in New York for 15 years, just moved back with my wife who is not from Miami. We are both very educated and intellectually-minded. We are both vegetarians.

Similar situation, I would say, and we chose to rent a small house in Doral with a cute pool in a gated community, over renting an apartment in a residential condo in Coral Gables.

Now we are feeling we made the wrong choice!

Even though both of us speak Spanish, my wife and I feel the people in Doral are lovely, family-oriented and warm, but the education level is very low.

From now on, anywhere I move needs to be close to a WholeFoods -- I read that the CEO bases his decision on where to open a store strictly on the # of college grads within a six-minute driving distance.

There is a WholeFoods in Coral Gables, and on Miami Beach. None in Doral.

Lots of steakhouses though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami