Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 71,505 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to Miami this summer from the University of Iowa College of Law. I'm currently a second year (of 3) student. The move to Miami this summer will be a bit of a downgrade, as I had a paid job in complex litigation last summer.

My question is two-fold: although I am aware that the Miami legal market is in just as poor of shape as the Chicago one is here, I'm wondering about the quality of competition. A huge problem here is that many new graduates are coming from highly rated Big Ten law schools as well as East Coast schools. Chicago - my former target market - is just flooded. The southern United States doesn't have quite the same level of law school saturation. Has anyone else made the permanent move from a Northern law school to Miami?

Second, where do people recommend living for the summer? I am currently working to save up money, and will probably take up a 2nd (paying) job while in Miami. Any recommendations for the summer would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suite1718 View Post
I will be coming to Miami this summer from the University of Iowa College of Law. I'm currently a second year (of 3) student. The move to Miami this summer will be a bit of a downgrade, as I had a paid job in complex litigation last summer.

My question is two-fold: although I am aware that the Miami legal market is in just as poor of shape as the Chicago one is here, I'm wondering about the quality of competition. A huge problem here is that many new graduates are coming from highly rated Big Ten law schools as well as East Coast schools. Chicago - my former target market - is just flooded. The southern United States doesn't have quite the same level of law school saturation. Has anyone else made the permanent move from a Northern law school to Miami?

Second, where do people recommend living for the summer? I am currently working to save up money, and will probably take up a 2nd (paying) job while in Miami. Any recommendations for the summer would be great.
The thing about Miami law market is unless you have a connection or come from University of Miami you better come from a very good law school. I am talking top 20 maybe top 25. Yes Chicago law market has much better schools near by and is also larger but lots of people want to come to Miami its a great place for someone like a lawyer with a high salary to live that is why it is hard for someone not coming from a top 20-25 to get a job here. Unless of course you have an inside connection or came from the University of Miami which law firms down here do like to hire some more local students too.

As for jobs, summer is the slow season for Miami so I suggest finding a job before making the move and also looking into other large law markets, DC, LA, NYC? Also I imagine you already applied to some internships? My info comes from some personal experience but I am still an undergrad my brother is a 3L in California so he knows a bit about the law market here since he has thought about coming back to Miami.

As for where to live it all depends where you work and how much money you will have to spend. Also are you planning on having a car down here? Real Estate is down right now so you will probably be able to find some deals downtown. That and Miami Beach are the two best places to live for the summer. IMO.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Suite - try contacting University of Miami law - many of their students leave for the summer and you may be able to sublet one of their rentals. Also downtown miami and South Beach will have reasonable housing - you may have to make some compromises though (size, location, etc). I would contact UM career planning and see if they can do some sort of exchange with your career planning department to get you in contact with some firms or other positions in Miami. Otherwise contact me via DM - i provided some information to another CDer who was looking for a paralegal position and it seemed to give her some good leads - i know paralegal is different from a 3L - but if you are interested let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami