U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM

929 posts, read 1,043,695 times

Advertisements

i never said it was the cure-all
actually i think the highrises are a good thing. theyre a smaller footprint on nature.
if you want to be eco-friendly sprawl is your enemy. take a look at LA as an example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,134,815 times
Default energy/transportation problem vs water problem

Why do some people think that the energy/transportation problem is less important than a potential water problem?

Granted, both are related to overpopulation/excessive real estate development.

This dual problem seems to be common in other regions of the US and the world, though I haven't heard too much talk about a water problem for southern Florida, except for maybe the opposite; one day it could be submerged. Though there is a distinction between water and drinking water.

Could advances in energy technology solve both the transportation and potential water problems?

Should we rely on the undereducated masses of southern Florida to come up with a solution to the energy technology problem?

Or maybe on the masses of graduate school trained-engineers from India and China? Will they sell such technology at a low price to the Anglo-Saxon world because they are a bunch of nice guys?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM

Lake Okeechobee matches record low - 05/30/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

the future may hold saltwater pumping out of your tap

Old 05-30-2007, 09:33 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,134,815 times
So southern Florida could be hit by two apparently opposing natural disasters: starved out by a drought and blown away by a hurricane.

My understanding is that high temperatures, in part caused by lack of local moisture, are favorable to hurricanes from outside the local system, so a double whammy is plausible, isn't it?

Anyone want to buy a house or condo?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:38 AM

i was just ticked that i had to break the law to wash the lovebugs off my car yesterday after coming back from orlando so that they wouldnt etch the paint.
i figured 100 dollar ticket or thousands for a new paint job due to the high gloss coat they put on cars nowadays. 100 dollars sounds like a deal.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:45 PM

13 posts, read 39,898 times
Miami is NOT a desert or in a desert zone...Moderator cut: changed to polite "What" are you talking about? It's as lush and green between the towns as any other place in FL. You have clearly not been to LA, where it's brown, brown, brown scrub with hardly any vegetation, especially on the hills and mtns where it's all desert scrub. I took my novia to visit FL last summer and she about pooped her pants over all the water and greenery. You got it good.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:29 PM

eric, dude im born and raised in LA. manhattan beach!
spend a little time here, the history of how they made this usable land is fascinating but take a look at a flat map of the world. florida is in a desert belt. see where the green and yellow are on a map of the world and follow the line across.
the only thing keeping this place green is water on nearly every side and warm moisture coming up from the caribbean. its kinda like hawaii in a way.
ive studied oceanography. ocean currents in the northern hemisphere go clockwise carrying moisture up from the caribbean. it eventually gets filtered out over europe as it gets cold and then youre left with africa which is similar to how moisture is carried up the coast in asia gets filtered out over alaska and canada and then its pretty dry by the time it gets to california.
miami is almost-tropical. maybe with a little global warming it will be truely tropical with no dry season and absolutely no cold fronts.
when they drew the first maps of florida they couldnt decide where the water ended and the land began. before they drained the everglades you could sail across from naples to miami through the sleughs.
yes it seems incredibly green to us west coasters but its drier than hawaii.
the humidity does wonderful things to your skin here, i havent gotten chapped lips since i left california. the only downside is the uv in summer makes you freckle fast even if youre not prone to it.
eric, i used to hike in joshua tree and vasquez rocks all the time and have been to death valley 3 times. love those places.
totally offtopic but you might be interested to know
south florida is a giant dead reef. when the ocean pulled back and sealevels dropped just like that island in the solomon islands where all the reefs were exposed after the earthquake. that happened here except it was the ocean level that fell. rain eroded the ground into what you see here today where you can pickup a stone in your backyard and see a coral skeleton in it.
someday the ocean level will return and the coral will reclaim this land and it will become a great barrier reef like it used to be. future generations will see this place as fantastic reef diving + ruins!

to aborigines many many years ago they knew the great barrier reef in australia as a bunch of grassy hills. in underwater caves in mexico they find cave paintings and artifacts.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 PM

122 posts, read 152,887 times
I'm not too concerned with the social/political problems, as South Florida has a history of those and always will likely - 26 years ago there was the whole "Paradise Lost" article, after all, and the area kept growing. People who don't like it are going to leave, new immigrants will arrive and those us who like it are staying put, so population will see a net increase. Probably more South Americans given the problems in that region currently. The big variables, in my view, are the nature-related ones, since the area is so fragile ecologically. The Big Three: Will we run out of water? Global warming's impact? Hit directly by a major hurricane? There was just an article in the Herald recently about us being "overdue" for a major storm, so we'll see...

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 AM

44 posts, read 134,375 times
Master plan for Miami parks OK'd as a guideline Ummm thats why the city just approved the creation of more parks...So the city and the mayor didnt also approve adding 30% to the tree canopy of the city? I also love the way cixel says hes not a racist yet claims that the only way to improve miami is by the migration of white people and removing all the latins...Very interesting. We should all see what the white people have done to the city of detriot. Thiers a great city for you. The endless poverty and run down empty houses is just inspiring to the latin people here. Get your facts striaght before you start talking **** You know what i didn't mind all the miami bashing because seriousely i thought cixel wanst a racist and ofcourse i respect hes freedom of speech, but once he specificaly said that miami nedded to remove the latin people and then that just pissed me off, and if he truly wants to see how rude miami people could be i suggest he reveal his true feelings outloud in public.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,524,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southfloridamiamian View Post
Master plan for Miami parks OK'd as a guideline Ummm thats why the city just approved the creation of more parks...So the city and the mayor didnt also approve adding 30% to the tree canopy of the city? I also love the way cixel says hes not a racist yet claims that the only way to improve miami is by the migration of white people and removing all the latins...Very interesting. We should all see what the white people have done to the city of detriot. Thiers a great city for you. The endless poverty and run down empty houses is just inspiring to the latin people here. Get your facts striaght before you start talking **** You know what i didn't mind all the miami bashing because seriousely i thought cixel wanst a racist and ofcourse i respect hes freedom of speech, but once he specificaly said that miami nedded to remove the latin people and then that just pissed me off, and if he truly wants to see how rude miami people could be i suggest he reveal his true feelings outloud in public.
Did you guys know that Cixel was hispanic himself? I don't think he is going to be racist against his own background...He NEVER said he wants to remove the latins totally, just some so that there is a balance of some sort in Miami. The way Miami is right now, I never know if i am going to be able to communicate with the customer service people when I go to a store/restaurant, etc. This is America, I shouldn't be told to learn Spanish in America. I am a citizen of another country and when I go there, I don't epect the people behind the counter to speak English. This morning a guy walked up to the counter, and the first thing he asked was in spanish do you speak spanish? I hate that, he should communicate in english and practice the language, how else is he going to learn english if he doesn't practice. The people that come to this country need to assimilate and learn the language. That is all we ask... Unfortunalty the way Miami is going, spanish will become the first language in 10-20 years. And if you don't think it will happen, you are kidding yourself...I can say this for sure, the hispanics over all are NOT the main issue, it is the people themselves, not a race thing or culture thing. I hate it when people pull out the race card, usually the ones that pull the race card on someone else are the ones with the race issue. Back to Miami, The individual people themselves are the issue however the majority of Miami's population (65%) happens to be hispanic. If we lived in any other place where whites were NOT the Majority, people will complain about the culture that is the majority asian, black, german, french, etc... Right now, Miami has some cultural issues because of the number of hispanics that live in a Miami. It is a fact, why are so many white anglo people that have lived here for years leaving. Because of ALL the issues Miami is having. You can choose to ignore or denying them, or say other places have them, but not every place has the issues Miami is having. That Time Magazine article last November on Miami says all, yet people like yourself say it was one side. Keep denying..

If anyone should reveal their true feelings, it is you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami