U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,424 times

Advertisements

I was just curious regarding city-data's information on Miami's future. What kind of people will be here in 20 years? What will the Palmetto be like? Will Nazis make a comeback and decide to live in Miami creating a situation where Cubans will need to learn German? Will it be hotter? And how many people will live here? Just curious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 PM

1,307 posts, read 3,243,953 times
There's a couple on here that will have an answer for that. Stay tuned.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 AM

9,001 posts, read 13,085,170 times
No one can provide a serious answer, there are too many variables.

Here are a few, some general, some specific to Miami.

1) short-term: financial, fiscal, and economic conditions affecting real estate prices, property insurance rates, property taxes, and incomes. A hurricane of any category this year or next would throw all calculations into disarray. What if there is a tangible recession?

2) short/medium-term: will this uneasy marriage between Anglo and Latin America continue, will Miami continue to be a gateway for trade, finance and migrations of people uniting the north and south of the hemisphere, or will there be a messy divorce?

3) medium/long-term: global energy supplies and the outcome of the ongoing energy wars. Will the US come up with feasible alternatives to fossil fuels? Will the US lose major battles in the fossil-fuel energy wars - either on the actual battle-field or strategically - diminishing its sole super-power status?

4) transportation (related to 3). Will the politicians and business people of Miami, with help from State and Federal officials, install a decent, far-reaching mass transit system based on electric buses and above-ground trains, or will the US transportation policy continue to be based on seizing and controlling the sources of fossil fuels abroad and expanding the motor vehicle roadway network domestically, killing tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, in the process?

5) possible natural disasters: will Miami be hit by a category 4 or 5 hurricane? Will major portions of southern Florida go back under water as a result of global warming (read the region's geological history for precedents).

Again, these are just a few variables, there are many others. No one can seriously calculate all the possible permutations for determining Miami's future 20 years out or so.

So any answers are pure guesswork and entertainment.

Probably the safest guess is that Miami, like the rest of the world, will muddle along, stumbling onto to solutions that work and paying the consequences of the occasional disaster. Doomsday and Shangri-La predictions are on the fringes.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-30-2007 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 AM

929 posts, read 1,040,073 times
id like to see it get better. maybe 20-30 years and the corruption will burn off. this is like vegas decades ago.
i see it presently going into a period of worse corruption and crime though.
the population will have to get alot more diverse for it to be a good place to live again. presently everyone i know and meet is trying to get out that isnt latino.
maybe with any luck china will unleash it's hordes of people and dilute south florida with new chinese immigrants. id like to think so.
all major highways will turn into bumper-to-bumper traffic around the clock like LA and all will resemble I-95 just like LA.

the wildcard is the immigration thing.
i doubt latinos are organized enough to secede but theres certainly the population level here to pull it off. if the US drew a line in the sand anythings possible.

i think the future is rather unknown but at least in the short term its not looking very good AT ALL.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,488,997 times
1) Miami will be 85% hispanic.

2) More homes out west to Krome and south to Florida City will be built.

3) Traffic will be worse, since no new major roads will be built for these new homes.

4) All those new homes built out west and down south today will look run down.

5) Less green space (even though we don't have much today, even less then)

Old 05-30-2007, 07:31 AM

doggiebus,
you mean its not 85% hispanic already? im being serious.
even kendall where you live doesnt have alot of white people.

when we went to orlando everyone looked familiar because we werent used to seeing white faces.

the thing is they cant build too many more homes out there if they intend to reflood the everglades.

totally agree with #4
we've watched as our brand new neighborhood has turned ghetto over the course of a year. to where the neighbor's teenage thugs next door drink beer in front of the house. and now the mailbox break in seals it.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,488,997 times
I wanted to put 95% but I held back, since its only like 65% hispanic today.

I hope they reflood the everglades. But there are some commissioners that I am sure are paid by developers under the table, that want to let developers build on the otherside of krome today. Crazy I know! I hope they don't give into the developer... I guess some people just don't care what Miami looks like, money and concrete are more important to them today.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-30-2007 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,776,290 times
florida politicians have even said they dont know what to do with miami...its beyond repair at the moment. i think sucession is the best option and just let it go and join the 3rd world officially

Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 AM

if anything this terrible drought shows that we really DO need to reflood the everglades.
if they dont then water restrictions will become standard and everyone will let the vegetation dry out and it will lose it's tropical look.
remember that south florida is in one of the planet's desert belts along with the american southwest. the only reason its tropical is because it has water on three of four sides.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 AM

355 posts, read 1,529,570 times
You are WAY off base thinking that reflooding the Everglades is the cure-all to our water problems. Development has gotten so out of control. Everyone.....me, me, me mentality. Developers and the government permitting reckless growth/housing without care to infrastructure. Don't even let me talk about downtown Miami, with 20+ highrise condos coming in....hey the water is not an infinite source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami