U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
 
72 posts, read 303,911 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

My family and are I are planning to move to South Florida this summer from the Caribbean. We had our heart set on moving to Coral Springs and are here in Fl right now to research that area as last summer we did not research that area. My brother in law has offered to rent us his 3BR, 2.5BTH town house in Homestead. It is located in Keys Gate - I've heard great things about Keys Gate so I know the complex is great and I saw the unit last summer. But I know nothing about the schools. Can anyone recommend some great middle schools and high schools for our kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 AM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,636,526 times
Reputation: 1679
Keys Gate Charter School is very well-regarded and is kindergarten through eighth grade. For middle school, it would be perfect because it's right in that neighborhood. Once your kids get to the high school level, however, the local public schools have rather poor reputations. I would not recommend Homestead HS at all; South Dade HS has a better reputation but it's still not considered one of the better high schools. If your kids are rather smart and are accepted to Coral Reef HS (a magnet school), they will get an excellent education. Or, try to get them into Miami Killian HS or Miami Palmetto HS, which are good non-magnet public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 AM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,300,383 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewailer View Post
My family and are I are planning to move to South Florida this summer from the Caribbean. We had our heart set on moving to Coral Springs and are here in Fl right now to research that area as last summer we did not research that area. My brother in law has offered to rent us his 3BR, 2.5BTH town house in Homestead. It is located in Keys Gate - I've heard great things about Keys Gate so I know the complex is great and I saw the unit last summer. But I know nothing about the schools. Can anyone recommend some great middle schools and high schools for our kids?
Where are you gonna work? Coral Springs to Homestead are very far apart, almost a 2 hour drive. About the schools they gotta be crappy in Homestead, a lot of rentals there lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 20,114,345 times
Reputation: 2914
A friend of mine just pulled her child out of the Keys Gate Charter school, she (the parent) wasn't happy with the charter school. Which surprised me, as I have heard good things, but I guess things are starting to go down hill there, for her to pull her child out and put her in private school it must not be good there. I agree with Homestead High, which I believe is the school district that Keys Gate is in. Its not a good High School. South Dade High is good, friends of mine have their child there and are very happy. I ran into someone a few months ago, who has her daughter at SDHS and is happy as well. I don't think SDHS is part of Keys Gates school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,300,383 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I don't think SDHS is part of Keys Gates school district.
You are correct. The HS for that area is Homestead Senior High.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
 
796 posts, read 1,647,384 times
Reputation: 375
As far as high school, try to get your child into Coral Reef HS...you might want to check out the Schools of Choice section @ the Miami-Dade Schools website for more info. Southwood Middle is in the general area and is a good magnet school as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM
 
72 posts, read 303,911 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Where are you gonna work? Coral Springs to Homestead are very far apart, almost a 2 hour drive. About the schools they gotta be crappy in Homestead, a lot of rentals there lately.
We both won't be working and will be looking for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
 
796 posts, read 1,647,384 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewailer View Post
We both won't be working and will be looking for jobs.
The job market here is not very good...what industry will you be looking to work in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM
 
72 posts, read 303,911 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
The job market here is not very good...what industry will you be looking to work in?
In terms of jobs, we both will not have jobs and will be job hunting. I intend to start a brand new career - in HR. I know I'll have to start at the bottom and I understand but it's where I'll really like to be. I'm currently working for a villa rental company - I've been there for 9 years. My hubby works for our local fire department but it's a bit different here in the Caribbean in terms of the requirement for certification. So he too may be embarking on a new career. We have enough saved to pay our rent, groceries and bills for about 4-5 months. Homestead seems not to have jobs and most seem to be in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,300,383 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewailer View Post
In terms of jobs, we both will not have jobs and will be job hunting. I intend to start a brand new career - in HR. I know I'll have to start at the bottom and I understand but it's where I'll really like to be. I'm currently working for a villa rental company - I've been there for 9 years. My hubby works for our local fire department but it's a bit different here in the Caribbean in terms of the requirement for certification. So he too may be embarking on a new career. We have enough saved to pay our rent, groceries and bills for about 4-5 months. Homestead seems not to have jobs and most seem to be in Miami.
I don't know how much you are planning to spend on rent but don't forget about the tolls and extra gas you will be spending. Unless he is renting you his townhome dirt cheap I would skip that option. Don't let those green lawns, spacious homes in Homestead fool you though. I would rather live in an apartment in Coral Gables or Dadeland than in a house or townhome in homestead until I got enough money to move to a more desirable home in Kendall or Doral. That place is very far from Miami and the schools are not the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top