Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
He could have chosen just about anywhere to get a better quality of life than Miami, let's face it. He worked at a grocery store, wore a Rolex and drove a Lexus. How about putting your priorities in line, buy less expensive things for yourself, and buy into a nicer area than where he was? But he packed up and moved to ND, a place he'd probably never been to before, he may have not even known what state it was on the map, nonetheless. And he picks ND, a place that happens to be giving away free land.
Right - so, now it is his fault people didn't except him - I can't with this guys - I can not agree with your point - the article doesn't state these people were obnoxious in anyway - Are we now going to start getting mad at people who are too attractive for an area and are fashionable - if this is the road we are taking, it is the wrong one.

Now, if they were jerks the treatment is warrented NO MATTER where you go, ND, NY, LA and oh yes, even in MIA, but I don't think you get to just be mean to people because they are different - sorry guys I have to disagree. I am going based on the article and I don't think wearing a Rolex (that may have been fake, you can get them anywhere) and a lexus that could have been 15 years old at the time, is a reason to prejudge people. Not allowing them a chance to show that they are not jerks as initially percieved, is wrong as well.

I'm not arguing that it is exactly what it seems, however, my point is the main complaints rolex, nice car are really superficial issues and doesn't make the towns people right for being jerks. Double edged sword.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I think they probably acted like typical Miami'ans - and that's why they are getting abused on this thread. Took out a restraining order on someone just after they got there? They probably felt like they were entitled - I guarantee it, as if ND is lucky to have them there.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM

415 posts, read 650,856 times
I think a lot of people are reading into this and seeing what they want to see. They guy has a Rolex and drives a Lexus, so what. First off it doesn't say exactly what his position was at the grocery store. Second off it says that his wife was a real estate agent. My fiance drives a 2003 C-class Benz that is paid off. We bought it used and traded in her old Honda Accord. It was either the Benz or a newer Honda accord and they both cost about the same amount of money (although maintenance on the Benz is ridiculous). I don't see why or how she should be treated different for buying the Benz instead of the Honda. So I'm curious to know how people here now that they couldn't afford the Lexus when they have no I deal what year or model it is

They are ridiculed for taking out a restraining order but yet people gloss over the fact that it says the other shop owner was yelling obscenities threatened damage to their home. We obviously don't know what happened for a fact but that was the scenario presented. Besides, is it that outlandish to believe that someone owing a coffee shop in a town of 240 people would take offense to foreign family moving in and setting up direct competition to their livelihood. To be honest that probably was their biggest mistake, they should have tried to focus on something the community didn't already have. But coming from a city where there are coffee shops everywhere they probably didn't understand what they were doing. And did anyone even look at the picture of the couple. They look very far from the obnoxious flamboyant people that many are portraying them as.

I also don't think this has anything to do with the fact that they were from Miami. A lot of people from any large city would have probably had the same mentality. A lot of people here seem to think all the problems in Miami are only in Miami. I hate to tell but people everywhere do things like work at a grocery store and drive a Lexus. It's called credit, and Americans everywhere are abusing it, not just Miami. I went back to visit Columbus, Ohio and my 22 year old younger sister drives a better car than me even though I make 4 times what she makes. I agree with ComSense that her priorities are messed up, but that doesn't give anyone the right to mistreat her. People here seriously expect that you have to sell a nice car (if it was nice) if you move to a small town???

At the end of the day officials from the town admit that they are dwindling in numbers, so their small town hospitality isn't doing much to attract any other residents either.

"They relish trips to a Wal-Mart in Bismarck."

Funniest quote of the article.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
The reality is North Dakota is not particularly diverse (although it does have areas with military bases and has a large Native American population). Further a town of 250 is most certainly closed and conservative - come on - significantly larger towns (populations in the 10K/20K) are closed and not welcoming of outsiders. Many of the residents are lifers (and have been there for generations). That being said - you need to know that going in and be prepared for a very chilly reception - if it was warm, fuzzy and a great place to live - they wouldnt have to pay you to come - duh.
It appears they expected a small town along the lines of upstate New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina - not doggone North Dakota. Im not saying they are not "nice" people - but they certainly did not make an intelligent decision in deternining their move. 15 minutes on CD would have told them it was a BAD idea.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I think they probably acted like typical Miami'ans - and that's why they are getting abused on this thread. Took out a restraining order on someone just after they got there? They probably felt like they were entitled - I guarantee it, as if ND is lucky to have them there.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
Com - you could be wrong - I'm basing my opinion on the facts of this article or blog what ever the hell it is (it all sounds like a scam to me) and can not just assume that they were being jerks - I'm not going 5 steps ahead, is it possible that these guys were jerks absolutely, but the article doesn't say that. Is it possible that the townies were jerks - sure why not? I mean we don't know these people from nothing...

I choose not to make the assumption that they were typical anything as I choose not to think you are typical of the place you live in. We all have choices to be jerks or not to be no matter our geography and blaming it on anything but yourself is just a cop-out. I am a typical NYer and believe myself to be a vice person. If the situation calls for me to be what one might consider rude it is a reaction that is natural to someone being mean to you. I don't know many people not even those in NC or TN or the like that are just okay with people being rude to them and have no direct reaction to that - I've never flipped some body off in GA and had them say "bless you child, come on back here anytime."

Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 840,682 times
I was just confused as to why they couldn't just pick a place in the middle? Both cities are pretty extreme if you ask me and I can think of plenty of other cities in America that are actual medium to large size cities and not "towns" that yet still have the friendlier people, better drivers, and a lower cost of living. The US is big and I hate Miami but do you see me packing up for a one way trip to Nowhere, USA so that my kids can grow up at Nowhere Middle School? Why does it have to be one or the other? That's the part that made no sense to me...*scratching my head*

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Wise decision or not does not excuse people for being mean.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
I was just confused as to why they couldn't just pick a place in the middle? Both cities are pretty extreme if you ask me and I can think of plenty of other cities in America that are actual medium to large size cities and not "towns" that yet still have the friendlier people, better drivers, and a lower cost of living. The US is big and I hate Miami but do you see me packing up for a one way trip to Nowhere, USA so that my kids can grow up at Nowhere Middle School? Why does it have to be one or the other? That's the part that made no sense to me...*scratching my head*
Nikki, I'm assuming the two free lots and $20k towards the purchase of a home was a factor. That was the whole point of the program. To entice people to move there that normally wouldn't have.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^The two lots probably had a huge factor for them moving there. How often do you hear of places giving lots away to people. I just don't know if this couple did enough research on this little ND town. That town is looking for people to move there for many reason good and bad I can only imagine. Red flags would of been going off in my head if I had heard of a town giving away land, to get people to move there. Why would a town do this??? Why have people left this town???? Research is key to a lots of things like this issue for this couple. For some reason, when I read this article the first thought that came to me was the movie, My Cousin Vinny.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^The two lots probably had a huge factor for them moving there. How often do you hear of places giving lots away to people. I just don't know if this couple did enough research on this little ND town. That town is looking for people to move there for many reason good and bad I can only imagine. Flag would go off in my head if I had heard of a town giving away land to get people to move there. Why would a town do this if its a good place to live??? When I read this article the first thought that came to me was the movie My Cousin Vinny.
Yeah I agree. I don't think the couple really thought it through, but free stuff does that people. The town however should have probably given away pickup trucks and hunting gear instead. That way they wouldn't have had to worry about people coming with a fancy cars and jewelry that would offend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami