Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If offered the same job,with same income & cost of living elsewhere,would u leave Miami..?
Definitely leave 10 40.00%
Probably leave 0 0%
Not sure 3 12.00%
Rather stay 2 8.00%
Definitely stay 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Can someone who is in the process of leaving (regardless), still answer the poll?
I don't see why not. I left 7 years ago and responded that I would "definitely leave". I like Miami more than most places, but have been more content living in Boston and New York. So, yes - if I were to be paid the same amount of money down there, even the lower cost of living wouldn't be enough to convince me to move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:11 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
Of course,also anyone can hypothesize & write an interesting comment...

I didn't expect the Magic City to have only...30% hard support & 10% soft...

Rejection rate of 60% only Clevelands & Detroits should have...

Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Well considering that this is a relocation forum the results can be biased.

I really don't care, I don't think this is hell or heaven on earth but I would definitely leave this place for California if I could. The weather there is nicer and the culture is much better there too.

The only thing Miami has is scenery. The rest is crappy.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM

"Culture "in CA...u r joking,right..?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't see why not. I left 7 years ago and responded that I would "definitely leave". I like Miami more than most places, but have been more content living in Boston and New York. So, yes - if I were to be paid the same amount of money down there, even the lower cost of living wouldn't be enough to convince me to move back.

Dean,in 20 years,when u will be a U.S Rep ( D -what else- Mass),we will have the inside track to u,for favours/pork/earmarks...

Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Then....I'd be gone in a heartbeat . I can assume many young people who dreamed of living in LA, NYC, Boston etc would do the same, if they were afforded a decent salary, and an affordable C.O.L. elsewhere.

Let's think about it for a second. The reason why many people left these big cities, aside from the weather, was because of living expenses at the time. People came here in droves, thinking they were getting more for their money. Those who came late to the party, can't say the same. They came when houses were astronomically high in price, so were insurance and property taxes, and looked at the measly salaries that were being paid, in comparison.

What did it do? For the sensible ones, they stayed put in their respective cities. Aside from sunshine and a few aesthetic advantages, such as nicer apts or homes, what else could Miami offer them? Not much, hence the migration back to the Northeast, GA, TX and NC over the recent years.

People are looking at more than just sunshine, and nice Weston/SW Broward homes. They're looking for the best bang for their buck, while accepting certain compromises. Many realized, the grass is not greener on the other side. The patches do exist on both ends.

Again, if I were a younger person afforded to live anywhere else in the US, making good money, and overall cost of living being decent, that's a no brainer......I think most would be gone in a flash.

There are many that would stay, as well. To some the Beach, South Beach, and whatever else Miami has to offer is priceless and can't be duplicated elsewhere, regardless of what others may say. To many, this is home and nothing beats being home, where the heart is. I respect that as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Let's see it from my perspective,a euro urban professional who wants to live the American lifestyle...

Out goes any "urban " city choice,the big 3,NY,CH.LA. Too expensive,too european.LA has glamour,but too expensive & leftist,no guns,virtually no capital penalty...

I want land, a big lot,to grow a garden,to have a pool...

I want a beach,with white sand,warm & shallow waters,for my elder mama & my future children...

I want wild nature,exotic stuff,stories about crocodiles,sharks,tornadoes..

I want glamour,fame,recognition... CSI Naples ..? I'll take a nap...
I want to enjoy boating,riding pwc,visiting tropical paradises,like BAH now & CUB in the future...

So,Mia is the Place to emigrate...

If it was not Mia,it would be Houston,but the sea looks dirty even when it is clean...It's also cold in winters...u need central heating...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami