Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If offered the same job,with same income & cost of living elsewhere,would u leave Miami..?
Definitely leave 10 40.00%
Probably leave 0 0%
Not sure 3 12.00%
Rather stay 2 8.00%
Definitely stay 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times

Advertisements

A nice question of...trust & real feelings about Miami...

If u were offered a job elsewhere,
& everything else was equal,
same kind of job,
same NET income,
same cost of living,

neither better financially,nor worse...

would u leave Miami for any other place in USA ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 AM

I like threads & polls which reveal the true attitudes of people...

Rather than asking a vague..."if u could,would u leave Mia..? ",which is inconclusive & doesn't offer definite assumptions,I think this specific question will reveal a lot...

Elaborate on the subject & tell us your opinion...

U get ...30 silver coins in Mia,for those...30 would u betray it..?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,602 times
All things being the same, I would stay here. I was recently in a similar situation where I had the opportunity to leave Miami to teach in several regions, including Colorado and Texas (which were my 1st choices). I was really leaning toward CO but the cost of living and the pay for the position were almost identical to Miami. For that, I'd rather stay here. So I chose (and was hired in) Texas, where the same job pays quite a bit more, and the cost of living is quite a bit less.

The only con to this situation is leaving my parents, who aren't getting any younger and while they're in relatively good health considering their age, I still feel like I am leaving them behind. My brothers both live out of state, too. My mom and I had a long talk about this move, and she told me that if we didn't leave Miami now (with this opportunity), we might never leave...

Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM

U r right,,TX is unbeatable in bang-for-the-buck...

Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
One of the things the poll doesnt address is quality/pace of life. Because of this it was difficult for me - like Giz our aging parents are in Miami but when we had an opportunity to relocate with a relo package to the midwest they encouraged us to take it. Our new state has income taxes and housing cost are similar(although there are more choices) but the schools are excellent (so no private school tuition), the pay is equivalent and work life balance is far more favorable (so no nanny) - add in less traffic and a commute of 10 minutes and I would choose our new home - hands down. Even with a bitter winter in the midwest I do not regret our move - at all -it was the best thing weve done.

I bash Miami like many others but am also quick to admit that while Miami has its flaws, its still a beautiful place if you can enjoy it (both income and time factors). I dont miss living there but I can still appreciate how beautiful it is.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 AM

I think I phrased it well...

To make your decision,u can imagine a hypothetical job in the best -according to u - city of USA...

Only the cost of living factor,the economics, are the same.

U can hypothesize the most beautiful to u city...

Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 AM

124 posts, read 415,035 times
Well, that depends on where... Miami maybe bad for some... good for others... One thing certain. There are plenty of worth places out there. If I were to leave this city, it would probably be to go to the Florida West coast or the Keys.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitosway View Post
Well, that depends on where... Miami maybe bad for some... good for others... One thing certain. There are plenty of worth places out there. .
Exactly, it's a very broad question, it could be North Dakota or San Diego. The question doesn't even apply to everybody as some people are not location dependent. Also income is not deciding factor in many cases. Being close to relatives, weather and schools are more common deciding factors.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 AM

My question is so simple...

Location independent,income related...

Till now,the stays...eat dust...

Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Can someone who is in the process of leaving (regardless), still answer the poll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami