Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ71 View Post
I just got back from MIA and everything that everyone said about traffic and dangerous drivers and the impossibility of safely bicycling was plain old BS. You jokers don't know traffic OR dangerous when it comes to riding in traffic.

Your traffic is a joke.
There are plenty of bike lanes.
The drivers aren't as bad as LA or as aggressive.

THE PLACE IS FREAKIN EMPTY, I CAN RIDE ANYWHERE AND NOT GET HIT.

I was right- those of you who gave the 'Be afraid, it's crazy' advice need to get out from under your rocks and live a little.

what a bunch of babies, whaaa, whaaa!!! I will EAT miami and come back for more. then i'll move to NYC again next summer, lol.
I was born and raised in Miami, family is still there (I left a year ago), and I don't remember there being any bike lanes other than in some portions of the bike trail that goes out to key biscayne. I don't know where you're planning to live and commute to exactly, but it can be done in some situations. Others would surely be a death wish. I worked with someone who commuted from the Gables (LeJuene area) to work in Palmetto Bay. Even though she was on some of the "tamer" roads in residential areas, she would have daily stories of people trying to run her off the road or clip her. She road on sidewalks in certain places. The best thing about biking in Miami is there are no hills and all the streets are generally straight. They are farily smoothe as well.

Also, if you were in the Design District or downtown at night during the week or during the day on a weekend, yeah, it's going to be empty. There isn't a whole lot going on in those areas during those times.

I definitely commend you on bike commuting. I am planning to start up here when I move next week a bit closer to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Quote:
I just got back from MIA and everything that everyone said about traffic and dangerous drivers and the impossibility of safely bicycling was plain old BS. You jokers don't know traffic OR dangerous when it comes to riding in traffic.

Your traffic is a joke.
There are plenty of bike lanes.
The drivers aren't as bad as LA or as aggressive.

THE PLACE IS FREAKIN EMPTY, I CAN RIDE ANYWHERE AND NOT GET HIT.

I was right- those of you who gave the 'Be afraid, it's crazy' advice need to get out from under your rocks and live a little.

what a bunch of babies, whaaa, whaaa!!! I will EAT miami and come back for more. then i'll move to NYC again next summer, lol.

Sure you weren't in Miami, TX or Miami, OK?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM

13 posts, read 42,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Sure you weren't in Miami, TX or Miami, OK?
i asked myself the same thing as i went up and down empty streets on a saturday night...i almost cried because it was the absolute perfect biking situation and my bike was as far as it could be from me and still be on the same continent. there were miles and miles of smooth, empty pavement and i couldn't pedal a foot of it.

there is no centralized anything in miami. there's no area other than sobe where people gather in large numbers. there's no city center...no bar district...not many people around in general...it was like each day was sunday. there was no buzz...

Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,452 times
Quote:
i asked myself the same thing as i went up and down empty streets on a saturday night...i almost cried because it was the absolute perfect biking situation and my bike was as far as it could be from me and still be on the same continent. there were miles and miles of smooth, empty pavement and i couldn't pedal a foot of it.

there is no centralized anything in miami. there's no area other than sobe where people gather in large numbers. there's no city center...no bar district...not many people around in general...it was like each day was sunday. there was no buzz...
Hey, Welcome to Miami, and enjoy the traffic free roads!!! People....no one lives here. Want to gather in large numbers (?) ....people enjoy concerts, the Grove, and whatever. Look, where have you been, downtown has been a urine-infested wasteland for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami