Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM

13 posts, read 42,235 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to MIA from LA this summer and I'm looking for some bicycle commuters/car free peoples/non-velodrome riding fixed gear enthusiasts. How's the Critical Mass? How are the roads in general (physical condition)? I'm from the Northern half of FL originally and our roads up there are smoooooth like butter while LA roads are a straight up bike hazard (GIANT potholes that span the width of the bike lanes, etc).

My job will be in the Design District and I'd like to be able to ride in each day. What neighborhoods are within a couple miles where a white dude won't get mugged, shot, stabbed and raped each morning and evening? I've been in LA for about 4 years, in DC before here, NYC before that, so I'm not an urban newbie- but I don't wanna live in a war zone if I can avoid it. I'd like to ride from the beaches if possible. Are the areas between SoBe and the Design District a war zone or are they passable? I'm ethnically friendly, experienced in hispanic culture (I've dated mostly latinas) y yo hablo espanol. I'm willing to live in an area that's not predominantly white, but the folks have to be non-ghetto. Average/middle class ethnic enclaves are cool by me.

I know this is an opinion based question, humor me anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
I knew someone who got hit by a car while biking in Miami.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Miami is not a great city for cycling largely because of the erratic drivers and lack of bike lanes. I haven't lived in Miami for 3 years so maybe someone knows better but -- outside of perhaps the touristy areas like South Beach -- I found it a hellish place for cyclists.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Bike Miami

I'm a pretty aggressive rider and have lived/ridden LA, DC and NYC, so aggro drivers aren't so much a problem. LA is just what you guys describe in terms of idiotic third world survivalist drivers. However...bike lanes would be nice -several people have told me that the better parts of town have the most bike lanes...true or no?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM

58 posts, read 193,686 times
Talking Ok, I'll humor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ71 View Post
I'm moving to MIA from LA this summer and I'm looking for some bicycle commuters...
My job will be in the Design District and I'd like to be able to ride in each day. What neighborhoods are within a couple miles where a white dude won't get mugged, shot, stabbed and raped each morning and evening?
I know this is an opinion based question, humor me anyways
You will get raped then stabbed then shot and since your ID will be stolen, you'll live on as bits of 000s and 111s for years to come.

The "Design district" is a Maddison Ave bad joke. You are in the middle of a geto. It's been a geto since the 60's, it will be a geto 20 years from now.

Venturing anything West of Miami Ave, and your lily white a$$ is toast.

I've met the hip artist types while attending openings there.
Everyone laughs and acts like a sophisticate. That is while huddling together inside or very close to the building.

I one time, and only one time, made the mistake of warning a couple walking along downtown Miami within blocks of Camillus house (homeless shelter) at 11:00 PM that they might be making a mistake. Was insulted for my efforts.

After that I was hardened, now I say, let's thin the herd.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM

I've lived in some pretty sketchy areas:

South Bronx (Hunt's Point)
Brooklyn (Bed-Sty pre hipster era)
DC (the whole place is deadly)
LA (Echo Park, again- before the hipsters)

Those areas didn't scare me then and they don't now. I'm somewhat used to the general anti-whiteness in immigrant areas so people just looking hard or trying to rip me off in the bodegas or whatever don't bother me. The thing is that I have lived in those areas and I'm consciously choosing NOT to this time. I speak Spanish and even though I stick out like a sore thumb I carry myself like I belong there. It's worked so far as I have never been mugged, attacked, raped, threatened or anything else. You guys make MIA sound harder and tougher than Compton, West Adams, and South Central combined.

Maybe you're scaredy cat white people who need more life experience?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
The Design Destrict is sort of not in a great area, they are kicking out the poor in the surrounding streets/area. The surrounding areas of the Design Destrict in my opinion are not a place for a white man to be yet. I am sure someone will say it is fine. But you couldn't pay me to walk in that area alone.

Are our roads smooth? for the most part they are ok, there are some that are not smooth/pot holes of course. So it just depends where you are riding. FYI Miami's roads are not really cyclist friendly. There are cyclist groups that meet across the county. The biggest groups meet out on Key Biscayne on the weekends. There is another large group that meets in west kendall during the week.

Where to live, if you want to use your bike to commute to work?????? You know we have a rainy season in the summer June through end of October. And its hot and humid during these months...But if you still want to bike to work, the best place for you to look at is Brickell or South Beach. There are some high rises in dowtown too, but...

Old 05-31-2007, 05:00 PM

58 posts, read 193,686 times
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ71 View Post
I've lived in some pretty sketchy areas:

South Bronx (Hunt's Point)
Brooklyn (Bed-Sty pre hipster era)
DC (the whole place is deadly)
LA (Echo Park, again- before the hipsters)

Those areas didn't scare me then and they don't now. I'm somewhat used to the general anti-whiteness in immigrant areas so people just looking hard or trying to rip me off in the bodegas or whatever don't bother me. I speak Spanish
Maybe you're scaredy cat white people who need more life experience?
Man, have you got it wrong.

What makes you think the area in question is Immigrant and Hispanic with Bodegas?
Spanish will not help.

As to scaredy cat white people.
LOL
I drove a taxi cab around there.

I'm not saying you don't have survival skills.

What I am saying is that the arts scene there is fake and that no I don't think you'll get away with bicycling around there.

It's not like Mt. Dora with bicycle paths.

But, hey, it's a free country, let us now how it works out. (or not)

Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
bicycle culture is good here.
i see TONS of people biking marathons all over the place down here.
i think theres a number of them in keys gate.
cops alot of times down here will be on street corners keeping traffic sane for the people on bikes during a race.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 PM

159 posts, read 803,704 times
Check out the Miami Shores area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami