Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 AM

79 posts, read 76,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
These types of posts are becoming old , tired , unfunny and pointless ... I think most people know by now what Miami is ... a place to have a good time and yes party but not the greatest place in the world to raise a family or overall quality of life ... period it is what it is .... but to have to read the same old tired unimaginative "hate Miami" laundry lists gets old quick .
I wrote that list a long time ago, but I saw no harm in putting it out there. Anyone moving to Miami should be aware of the good, the bad and the ugly. The bad and the ugly may not be so bad for some if they are able to tolerate living there and can enjoy the clubs, bars, beaches, etc. I wish that I'd been warned about moving to Miami before I moved there. I would not have made that mistake, but you really don't know how a city or its people are until you actually live there.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM

79 posts, read 76,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I thought Miami had parks and green spaces until I moved somewhere that does. Miami does have parks - as listed above - but they are not neighborhood parks that are easily accessible and available and walkable. To go to any of these parks would have required at least 30 minutes or more likely 45 minutes in the car with kids and horrible traffic - green spaces to me means I walk out of my home hop on a bike and within 10-12 minutes am at a lovely park. When it comes to recreation that is accessible - SFl is deceiving.
Miami always lacked parks to me. I am also an avid cyclist and it lacked places to ride my bike. I always had the overwhelming feeling of not being able to find any sort of peaceful, green refuge in Miami and even if you leave Miami, there's little in the way of scenery.

I don't mind people defending Miami, but at least use valid and truthful points to defend it. To say that Miami has a lot of parks and open spaces is just plain incorrect.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic109 View Post
I am writing this as a warning to those who are thinking of moving to Miami, but are naive as to the problems of this city. Miami appeals to some, but a lot of people are unhappy here. Therefore, I would like to make the following points, to at least help people avoid making a potentially huge mistake:

- Do not move to Miami if you want a relatively quiet life.
Depends on where you live...

- Do not move to Miami if you have children, but cannot afford to send them to private school.

Absolutely not true...some of the public schools here are leagues better than some of the private schools. Just because a school is private doesn't make it better. Where do you think the kids who get expelled from public school go for their education?

- Do not move to Miami if you are bothered by lack of respect, manners and common sense from others.

Ehhhh...could go either way...

- Do not move to Miami if reckless, drunk and aggressive driving bothers you.

I have to agree with you on this one. Plus, a lot of people dont have auto insurance.

- Do not move to Miami if you seek more out of your free time than just clubbing, bar hopping and the beach.

I don't do any of those things and still have plenty to do. There's more to culture than partying.

- Do not move to Miami if you want to live in a truly diverse big city, where there are a plethora of different scenes.

There ARE different scenes here...you just have to know where to find them.

- Do not move to Miami if you have a short fuse and are easily irritated by other people's BS and bad attitudes.

You can get the same thing in a lot of other places too.

- Do not move to Miami if you are looking for a place to make genuine, cool friends who aren't just out to take advantage of you.

You need to look for friends in other places...

- Do not move to Miami if you worked your butt off getting a degree and are looking for a decent job, because who you know is more important than what you know here.

Sadly, I have to agree with you here.

- Do not move to Miami if you are different from 99% of the population, who are nothing but clones.

Not true

- Do not move to Miami if you are a compassionate person who puts other people's feelings ahead of your own.

- Do not move to Miami if you want to live in a place with a sense of community.

Again, I have to agree...I have lived in places where I don't even know who the neighbors are.

- Do not move to Miami if you are keen on cycling (see drunk, reckless and aggressive drivers).

Agree

- Do not move to Miami if you "don't care about looks or bling".

That's a big attitude here...but not one you have to buy into. It;s your choice.

- Do not move to Miami if you want at least semi-reasonable customer service and don't want to be ripped off.

Lots of ripoff artists here....agree.

In other words, if you are a party animal who could care less, move to Miami....you'll have a blast. You won't mind that many people here are sociopathic a**holes.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-23-2010 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Please don't use red.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I thought Miami had parks and green spaces until I moved somewhere that does. Miami does have parks - as listed above - but they are not neighborhood parks that are easily accessible and available and walkable. To go to any of these parks would have required at least 30 minutes or more likely 45 minutes in the car with kids and horrible traffic - green spaces to me means I walk out of my home hop on a bike and within 10-12 minutes am at a lovely park. When it comes to recreation that is accessible - SFl is deceiving.
Might I ask where you lived in Miami?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
It is easy to bash or say what is wrong with a city,but the intellectual would look on ways to improve or enhance the city. It is good to give constructive criticism ,but then how do we work on how to improve the situation.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
I am writing this as a warning to those who are thinking of moving to Miami, but are naive as to the problems of this city. Miami appeals to some, but a lot of people are unhappy here. Therefore, I would like to make the following points, to at least help people avoid making a potentially huge mistake:

This is sort of true, depending on what considers a quiet life. Miami is a city, not the countryside after all.

- Do not move to Miami if you have children, but cannot afford to send them to private school.
I agree that Miami isn't a place to raise a family. Some public schools though are really good here in Miami, the bigger problem are the characters that children hang around and the parent involvement.

- Do not move to Miami if you are bothered by lack of respect, manners and common sense from others.
This is true, but I don't know if this isn't a society problem that happens in other major cities too. It may seem though that Miami takes it to an extreme sometimes.

Ok this is exaggerated to some extent. I will agree that Miamians are more aggressive and reckless at times, but not all are drunk.

- Do not move to Miami if you seek more out of your free time than just clubbing, bar hopping and the beach.
This a false, there are plenty of other things to do in Miami, just depends if you like to do those things or not.

- Do not move to Miami if you want to live in a truly diverse big city, where there are a plethora of different scenes.
This is sort of true, because Miami isn't as diverse as other large cities. If it was much more diverse than 60% hispanic Miami would have many more scenes than it does have.

- Do not move to Miami if you have a short fuse and are easily irritated by other people's BS and bad attitudes.
Well someone with a short fuse probably shouldn't move to a big city like Miami or any big city for that matter. So this isn't just a Miami issue.

- Do not move to Miami if you are looking for a place to make genuine, cool friends who aren't just out to take advantage of you.
I think this may be an individual problem, not an issue everyone will have in Miami.

- Do not move to Miami if you worked your butt off getting a degree and are looking for a decent job, because who you know is more important than what you know here.
This is true to some extent, Miami isn't known as a city that attracts many people with college degrees as the jobs just aren't here for them.

- Do not move to Miami if you are different from 99% of the population, who are nothing but clones.
False. Miami isn't 99% clones.

- Do not move to Miami if you are a compassionate person who puts other people's feelings ahead of your own.
Sort of true to some extent, Miami does have a me me mindset to some extent. But not all of Miami is this selfish.

- Do not move to Miami if you want to live in a place with a sense of community.
This can be true, Miami is a big city many people don't take time or the desire to get to know their neighbors. This can be an issue in other major cities not just Miami.

- Do not move to Miami if you are keen on cycling (see drunk, reckless and aggressive drivers).
I have two friends that are cyclists, so it can be done. Just know that Cyclists don't get the same respect they may get in other large cities. So it is kind of scary out on the roads of Miami for cyclists.

This is sort of true, hispanics have always taken pride in the way they look. So having your look put together once you leave your house is something that is just part of Miami. I don't think that is a bad thing. Who wants to move to a place where everyone look like slobs. Someone that is considering Miami, probably isn't a slob anyways.

- Do not move to Miami if you want at least semi-reasonable customer service and don't want to be ripped off.
Miami does have to work on this. Customer Service can be hit or miss at times.

In other words, if you are a party animal who could care less, move to Miami....you'll have a blast. You won't mind that many people here are sociopathic a**holes.
Not all of Miami is like this.
Miami isn't for everyone, just like some little town in North Dakota isn't for everyone either. Thank goodness we all don't like the same place otherwise it would be a super crowded place to live.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:

I'm a noisy dude, have no kids, am accustomed to rude people, wave to drunks driving by, love clubbing, can handle a single scene 24/7, am long-suffering, am a self-employed loner without a degree, love being around clones, care for people but always look out for number one, never learned to ride a bike, am a good looking fella, subscribe to a minimalist lifestyle where I hardly ever need customer service...Miami here I come, then!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Let's agree to disagree, especially when it comes to parks. For such a huge metropolitan area, Miami actually has few parks and recreational areas. It also has far worse drivers than pretty much anywhere else. I would also like to ask you what "nature activities" (LOL) you're talking about? Miami is a concrete jungle, not a place for nature.
Really - that part I would definitely disagree with. The working area where business' are is understandable. But the areas around that are definitely much more nature filled than other cities.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Might I ask where you lived in Miami?
North Miami; Kendall; South Miami

Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami isn't for everyone, just like some little town in North Dakota isn't for everyone either. Thank goodness we all don't like the same place otherwise it would be a super crowded place to live.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami