U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 14,032 times

Advertisements

Seriously. I can't drink because I get acute pancreatitis and end up in the ER nearly everytime I try to drink.

I'm from Chicago but got an amazing engineering job offer to earn around 60-65k in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

How will I do socially? Will it be hard to make friends in Miami?

I recently took up snowboarding as my non-drinking hobby to bond with current friends and make new ones... how will I replace that? Surfing? Jet skiing? Those thing all seem like fun, but are pretty solitary in terms of hanging with people.

I honestly know no one in the area and I'm not exactly what you would call the club-hopper. I'm kind of a hipster/sports/tv afficianado.

Any suggestions on how to meet new friends or potential mates? Where to live?

I'm really worried about the South Florida mentality that I keep hearing about. Seems like most who spent time in Chciago and South Florida say that South Florida lacks the midwestern hospitality that Chciago has.

Please help i have to decide on thsi job very soon! Time is ticking!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 PM

470 posts, read 1,134,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemileallan View Post
Seriously. I can't drink because I get acute pancreatitis and end up in the ER nearly everytime I try to drink.

I'm from Chicago but got an amazing engineering job offer to earn around 60-65k in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

How will I do socially? Will it be hard to make friends in Miami?

I recently took up snowboarding as my non-drinking hobby to bond with current friends and make new ones... how will I replace that? Surfing? Jet skiing? Those thing all seem like fun, but are pretty solitary in terms of hanging with people.

I honestly know no one in the area and I'm not exactly what you would call the club-hopper. I'm kind of a hipster/sports/tv afficianado.

Any suggestions on how to meet new friends or potential mates? Where to live?

I'm really worried about the South Florida mentality that I keep hearing about. Seems like most who spent time in Chciago and South Florida say that South Florida lacks the midwestern hospitality that Chciago has.

Please help i have to decide on thsi job very soon! Time is ticking!
Well since your job is in Ft. Lauderdale, you don't have to worry about how Miami is, as Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are 100% different. Ft. Lauderdale is laid back, chilled, quiet, everyone's friendly, but I mean in that they won't curse you out if you bump into them, everyone's friendly but nobody talks to you, no traffic, to make it as short as possible, it's not Chicago, it's not "city" and has none of the city characteristics, it's your typical American suburbian city. There's not much to do in Ft. Lauderdale, just your usual suburban things, like going to a restaurant, or going to the movies, and things like that. As Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are 100% different, so is Miami-Dade County and the rest of South Florida. Since you're from Chicago you don't have to worry about anything, everything is going to be a cake walk. You don't have to be a party animal to have fun, it just depends what you like to do since there isn't much to do in Ft. Lauderdale or the Ft. Lauderdale area. There's two parts of Ft. Lauderdale, the side far away from the beach and the part next to the beach. The beach is the only real difference, well you could walk on a little area called Las Olas Blvd, and by the beach where you'll find some restaurants, but most people drive there so that completely beats the purpose. Once you drive there, you can walk around the small area. The only real and realistic adive for making friends is just to relax, do your everyday things, and something could happen with your neighbors, but your best bet is at work, just be friendly and try to catch your co-workers attention and fin people with your same interests. I hope you enjoy your new home.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 14,032 times
Thanks for the analysis!

I keep hearing how Ft. Lauderdale is filled w/ retirees. How true is this? I've also heard that young people are migrating to Ft. Lauderdale in droves. I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

This is why I'm considering Miami as well as Ft. Lauderdale.

Do you ahve the same type of analysis for actually living in Miami? Will I be able to find "my crowd" there?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,142,176 times
Wouldn't say there's much of a hipster culture in South Florida, I don't think not drinking will be a big deal though.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM

470 posts, read 1,134,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemileallan View Post
Thanks for the analysis!

I keep hearing how Ft. Lauderdale is filled w/ retirees. How true is this? I've also heard that young people are migrating to Ft. Lauderdale in droves. I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

This is why I'm considering Miami as well as Ft. Lauderdale.

Do you ahve the same type of analysis for actually living in Miami? Will I be able to find "my crowd" there?
Yes, Ft. Lauderdale is filled with seniors (old people). Many years ago, Ft. Lauderdale used to be one of the must go places for Spring Break, but years ago, that changed. Many rules came about, and made it impossible to have fun during Spring Break or at any time in Ft. Lauderdale. There are way to many rules, restrictions and things of that sort in Ft. Lauderdale and even in the rest of the Ft. Lauderdale area. Now for Spring Break, the only must go places in South Florida are Miami, Miami Beach, and other cities in the Miami area. But back to the main topic. The young people migrating to Ft. Lauderdale is incorrect, they all move to Miami and the Miami area. The people moving to Ft. Lauderdale and the Ft. Lauderdale area are actually the seniors, gay males (the Miami area isn't exactly gay male-friendly like how some think Miami Beach is and Ft. Lauderdale has proven to be gay male-friendly and more and more gay males are moving there), and not to sound like a "troll" like someone said one of my posts was trolling even though I'm not and I just speak the truth, but some white people that don't like the diversity in the Miami area (which the Miami area is the only diverse place in South Florida, even more reason for you to move to Miami instead, but more on that later), they're racist, or they just want complete suburbs (quiet and nothing going on, etc), the Miami area has suburbs but it still has Miami and Miami Beach, but the Ft. Lauderdale area is all suburbs so they don't have a chance of encountering anything city, they would have to drive an hour plus (depending on traffic) to reach anything city and that is of course Miami.

The Miami area has EVERYTHING, everything for everyone. It has things for the city people, the suburbs people, the party animals, the laid back people, the sports people, the arts people, the beach people, the water sport people, the taking walks people, the park people, the community people, the mass transit, the model people, the poor people, the rich people, the old people, the young people, the family people. the white people, the black people, the latin people, the asian people, the diverse people, the fashion people, the library people, everything, absolutely everything. You have a way higher chance of making friends, having mates, having fun, living life, doing anything you want in the Miami area than in the Ft. Lauderdale area. It actually happens, it's not that MAYBE you can do it, no, it's it will happen. People actually talk to you, they help you, they're involved, actually bother to know their neighbors, they invite you places, it's freaking great. You will be able to find your crowd no matter what. If your job is in Ft. Lauderdale, you could live in the Miami area and drive to your job but it all really depends if you don't mind the driving or traffic. I have friends and family that live in the Ft. Lauderdale that drive everyday to the Miami area for work and for nightlife. Those same people and family friends are all moving to the Miami area by June 2010, some already have their homes ready, some are still deciding between a couple homes, and some are moving because of their jobs and some because they are sick and tired of the suburbs and everything that has to do with suburbs, tired of the boring, the nothing going on, no nightlife, no culture, no diveristy, THE NOTHING. If you are going to live in the Miami area first make sure you know how long it would take you to get to work and everything, you know what to do .

No matter what some people on this website say, I speak the truth, have no racism, no discriminatio, nothing of that sort. I understand how things are and how things go. Notice how some people here have praised what I said because I speak the truth. Don't believe the nonsense some people say on here.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM

16,409 posts, read 29,333,233 times
Id rather live in Miami over Ft Lauderdale, I can't stand to go north (or south) of miami at least in the USA. You'll find exactly what you are looking for in miami.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 PM

259 posts, read 797,291 times
I think, you REALLY need to take a few more week-long type trips down here first before you make your final decision....REALLY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: