Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,398,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro420 View Post
In Latin American countries the whites are usually the people in charge of the countries. You'll hardly ever see native americans or blacks in politicians in Latin American countries. This dates back to the old Spanish colonial days. The Spanish reign of the 18th and 19th centuries instituted a society of castes based on racial differences where blacks and indigenous peoples were treated like slaves and the political and religious oligarchy was comprised exclusively of white Spaniards.
I understand it was this way many years ago, but it seems to still be here today. I guess old beliefs past down generation to generation are hard to break.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,155 times
Default Business your husband's opening....

You didn't specify if your husband's business requires black customers who have spendable income or who live paycheck-to-paycheck, i.e., is he opening a small neighborhood grocery store or a high end clothing boutique. Whatever the answer is, it will narrow down your options.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:47 PM

160 posts, read 599,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelady View Post
You didn't specify if your husband's business requires black customers who have spendable income or who live paycheck-to-paycheck, i.e., is he opening a small neighborhood grocery store or a high end clothing boutique. Whatever the answer is, it will narrow down your options.
I agree that is very inportant. If it's something high-end, definitely not Dade. This place is like no other when it comes to "diversity". It just plain does not exist for African- Americans compared to areas like Atlanta and Chicago. I lived in Dade and moved to Broward looking for some middle class people...still looking. I don't know about the areas of WPB that were mentioned. (That would be way too far from work for us) One of my old bosses (white) said he felt that the civil rights movement skipped Miami because of the timing of the Cubans coming. It was hard to recruit AA's to stay becuase once you see it's not parqadise you'll run back to Atlanta. It's downright sad how some people live and don't realize they could do a lot better if they left Florida. I wouldn't say hispanics look down on other people of color. Sorry to use the cliche, but I have friends from, Cuba, Colmbia, Costa Rica, Panama, Brazil you name it and in 5 years never felt like they looked down on us nearly as much as American whites do for no reason. I think its mostly a class issue. If they were upper class in their countrythey bring the snotty attitude with them ( generalizing about some Venezualans living in Doral) People that came over here to work hard will feel like Americans who waste their opportunities are lazy whatever your color is. Sadly, some people generalize all "black" people to be everyone from Haitians who just came yesterday, 2nd generation Jamaicans and African-Americans. If they've never left Florida or bothered to really get to know people of other races some might think all black people are like the ones on the corner in Overtown or Little Haiti. So to sum my rambling , be more specific about the type of business and what kinds of "black" people you're looking for.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 AM

563 posts, read 2,768,741 times
If it's something high-end...try Pembroke Pines. There are a sizable number of solidly middle class blacks there.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 AM

34 posts, read 163,908 times
I would say Miramar, Miami Gardens, North Miami, Pembroke Pines, Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes and the North Miami Beach Areas.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,885,399 times
Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes in Broward are widely black communities. What sort of business is it?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,115 times
Default Wealth in our community

This seems like a good forum to introduce a topic not often talked about in the minority community. It is my mission to educate african americans on how to build wealth. We add billions of billions of dollars to the local economy, but have very little to show for it because we simple do not understand the " money game". Our thought process and understanding of money is seriously flawed. Most of us live from pay check to pay check and sit on our biggest asset that prevent us from building real wealth. I'm just wondering if anyone out there agrees and understands what i'm talking about. I welcome any response

Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM

929 posts, read 1,150,244 times
"It is my mission to educate african americans on how to build wealth."

i applaud this.
coming from california i never saw so many poor blacks. even the blacks in california i saw who were poor there were many who may have lived in ghetto areas but when you went inside their house it had a middle class appearance. you could tell a large majority of them were trying to make a living for themselves. i cant say the same for here. many black people who simply dont wish to work, many black people on welfare, many black people who hate us whites and dont see any future for themselves. I try to be nice to these people as best as I can and hope I can provide a ray of hope to their children that all of us white people arent bad before they learn the racism from their parents.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 22,142 times
Sorry to disagree with you, my family is from Cuba, I am hispanic and we are not racist, nor do we look down on black people, as a matter of fact, one of our virgin's is black and we are very devoted to her. Whoever told you this, is not a true hispanic. I even dated a black male once and i have plenty of black friends as well. I personally wish people wouldn't be so racist and realize that no matter what the color is, people are people.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,549 times
Hey DRO,
All over the world the whites are in charge, not just in Latin American countries.
LISAPONTE VERDE, Dro420 has mentioned almost all of the predominantly black neighborhoods, in the greater miami area.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami