Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,647,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
In fact ,a couple with 2 kids needs a house bigger than 3000sq.ft.
They need 4bds ,plus a guest for in-laws etc,plus an office,a fitness room...
So,the right home is around 4000 sq.ft...
As for LCDs -plasma is gone- prices have gone so much down that u can buy a 32' for 500...
So,yes,every room needs a 32' on the wall...
Even middle class people on 80K /year can afford those basic nessecities...
This is exactly what's wrong with this country's spoiled, entitled, and overindulgent middle class. Is the above supposed to be a satire?

I grew up in a family of four in a 1070 square foot space. No computer room/office, no separate dining room, no guest room, no fitness room, no media room, no basement. Just three modestly-sized bedrooms, two small bathrooms, and a "great room" that combined a kitchen, living area, and dining area. That's it. Yes, it was tight at times, but it certainly met our needs. Growing up in a small space taught me the difference between want and need. To say that 3000+ square feet is a necessity is absolutely ludicrous. In most highly-desirable areas, a 3000 square foot dwelling is for the rich, not for the middle class. Once upon a time, middle class people in this country were a modest group, but not so much anymore.

And just so no one misunderstands what I'm saying, I have no problem with the middle class in general - I have a problem with how many middle class people nowadays seem to have an inflated sense of entitlement.

Last edited by Marlin331; 03-12-2010 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,860,996 times
Quote:
In fact ,a couple with 2 kids needs a house bigger than 3000sq.ft.
They need 4bds ,plus a guest for in-laws etc,plus an office,a fitness room...
So,the right home is around 4000 sq.ft...
As for LCDs -plasma is gone- prices have gone so much down that u can buy a 32' for 500...
So,yes,every room needs a 32' on the wall...
Even middle class people on 80K /year can afford those basic nessecities...

nope this is were you are wrong, many of my friends, who live near tamiami/ braddock area dont have flat screens or live in big houses( the houses are tiny town homes, maybe 1000ft or less). and they parents probably make 60-80k a year, **** we just bought our first LCD this year, a 42inch for 500 on black friday, split the pay between my dad and my brother. ill admit i currently live in a house thats 2100 sq ft, but at the time it was 11 of us living in the house,4 bedrooms, and 1 tiny bedroom/ oversized closet..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,291,568 times
Quote:
According to Forbes mag,a top 20% of earners,considered "rich ",in Miami have an income of $295K.
Are you saying that 20% (one out of five) people in Miami make $295,000 or more? I find that hard to believe. What is the national average... like $45k?

According to city-data numbers:

Estimated median household income in 2008: $28,333 (it was $23,483 in 2000)

Miami: $28,333
Florida: $47,778

Estimated per capita income in 2008: $22,330

Now it could still be true that the top 20% make that much. It would be a very nonstandard distribution then. I just can't imagine 1 out of five making that much. If you drive through the poor areas and see the people and then think that for every five people you see there's someone making over $295k. No, I don't think there are that many.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,479,188 times
One out of 5 families in Mia make a total of 295 K gross...One in 20 make 560K
At least those are the Forbes calculations....

Dean,I like to tease u,I knew u would take the bait...
But seriously,I was serious in a humorous way...

Civilisation begins when one can turn his desires into nessecities...

I don't actually need a 4000sf house,but I want it,therefore...I "need " to have it...
That's the American spirit...

That dream is not so utopic,one can go "cheap "on the land lot,choose a not so expensive neighbourhood,go to Kendall instead of Coral Gables...

Dean - & others - do u want a big house,a big new car,or u praise frugality out of ideology..?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,043,695 times
Quote:
One out of 5 families in Mia make a total of 295 K gross...One in 20 make 560K
At least those are the Forbes calculations....
Yes 20% it's wrong unless you added a zero by mistake. 2% is actually a more accurate figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This is exactly what's wrong with this country's spoiled, entitled, and overindulgent middle class.

I grew up in a family of four in a 1070 square foot space. No computer room/office, no separate dining room, no guest room, no fitness room, no media room, no basement. Just three modestly-sized bedrooms, two small bathrooms, and a "great room" that combined a kitchen, living area, and dining area. That's it. Yes, it was tight at times, but it certainly met our needs. Growing up in a small space taught me the difference between want and need. To say that 3000+ square feet is a necessity is absolutely ludicrous. In most highly-desirable areas, a 3000 square foot dwelling is for the rich, not for the middle class. Once upon a time, middle class people in this country were a modest group, but not so much anymore.

And just so no one misunderstands what I'm saying, I have no problem with the middle class in general - I have a problem with how many middle class people nowadays seem to have an inflated sense of entitlement.
Well some people feel entitled to big homes, others to other things...

Do I like the suburbs? Yes a big home, with a large lot. Am I spoiled and overindulgent? I guess if you say so. I like to use my money where I enjoy it the most I don't feel entitled to other things like broadway shows, expensive clubs and restaurants, designer clothes and purses, luxury cars. For me spending money in some of these things is ludicrous especially if you live in a low income neighborhood, but then again it's not my money. Well sometimes it is as some are abusing the food stamp system, Welfare, cash assistance programs while driving BMWs, Lexus and Audis.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 03-12-2010 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 AM

35 posts, read 85,641 times
Damn! $295k??? I'm poor then! I just didn't know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami