Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaK View Post
I'm of Hispanic descent, and I hate Miami with a passion why?

Very simple, the people. It was real big mistake by Jimmy Carter
or whoever was the president in the early 60's to turn in Miami
and give it to the Cubans. These are people who dislike the American
way, and are only here because they can't obviously live in their own
country. They have made a disaster of Miami. People here are so
full of it, so obnoxious they don't even like each other. They're ignorant,
they come here thinking they deserve it all, on top of that they don't
educate themselves, they don't like to speak English, they do things
the way it was in Cuba before Castro. They violate human rights, they
give employment to the people they know, they do $hit under the table.
Most males deal drugs one way or another. You are here using the
system for your advantage only and the rest can go f themselves. That's
their attitude. I could write a book about this whole Miami thing, but
as of July 1st I won't give a damn. In fact, we should sell Miami to Chavez
in Venezuela, it would help us with our deficit.

P.s. It's not that they're rude drivers, it's that they never really experience driving
a motor vehicle. Also, most don't speak Spanish and most sign are in English, plus
they don't give a damn about laws either.
I am the grandchild of 4 immigrants who came to the US in the early 20th century. And the thing I always found odd about a lot of Cubans in Miami is how many didn't embrace US citizenship (I can understand the really old - now mostly dead - Cubans who did that - they always had thoughts of returning "home" - but I'm talking about people younger than I am - I'm 62 now). My grandfathers - non-citizens - enlisted in the Army in WWI so they could get on a "fast track" to become citizens.

Never thought that all Cubans were obnoxious - or that Cubans were the only obnoxious people in Miami. But I do agree that by opening the floodgates to all Cubans in Miami (and I seem to recall that the wet foot/dry foot policy was first adopted when JFK - not Carter - was President) - well it upset the balance of things. I think all places in the US can accept immigrants. But when one immigrant group becomes totally dominant - there is no reason for the immigrants to integrate into society as a whole. First the "melting pot" becomes a "salad bowl" - and then the salad turns into a bowl of one kind of lettuce.

I think the people who have suffered most as a result of this are members of the African American community in Miami. Because - in general - I think people like me (we were called the "non-Hispanic non-black" voters by the time we left - which perhaps - standing alone- is sufficient reason to leave) were - at a minimum - a little uneasy about doing things that were considered racist (didn't matter what we thought - we just tried to be politically correct in public). And we certainly didn't require people to speak Spanish to get jobs. How many African Americans trying to make it in Miami can't get a job at a good place because they don't speak Spanish? I was at our local Whole Foods yesterday - and I suspect a lot of the AAs working there couldn't get a job like that - and Whole Foods is a good place to work - in Miami. Anyway - at least until the Mariel boatlift (which brought some "darker" Cubans to Miami) - Cubans were very racist. Don't know what's going on today.

I assume you're moving on 7/1. Where? Robyn

Old 04-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
Robyn

I'm not judging. I'm just saying that the city has changed entirely, not the same city anymore. Just like your comments about South Beach, maybe SB was decadent but at least it was not a glitzy circus packed with phonies and expensive as hell. I see that you're familiarised with local politics, yes, local politics are usually dirty, backstabbing, extricate gerrymandering, and when you mix it with ethnicity, it's quite revolting. I remember Pepper, I don't quite recall if he was one of those democrats that got butchered, along with Ferre.
No - Claude Pepper died a natural death when he was about 90 while still holding office as a Congressman (he was first a Senator for about 15 years - then a Congressman for about 26 years).

There is a really funny story about the Democratic Senate primary where Smathers defeated Pepper (and Smathers took over Pepper's Senate seat). This is what people said Smathers said in a campaign speech:

"Are you aware that Claude Pepper is known all over Washington as a shameless extrovert? Not only that, but this man is reliably reported to practice nepotism with his sister-in-law, and he has a sister who was once a thespian in wicked New York. Worst of all, it is an established fact that Mr. Pepper, before his marriage, habitually practiced celibacy".

Most people think this report was a hoax. But - since there was no CNN then - who knows ? Robyn

Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Miami seems to be (or has become) a magnet for generally bad people, not necessarily in the criminal sense. I'm talking about narcissists, sociopaths, people who are intentionally arrogant, rude, racist and unpleasant to be around. I know it's not politically correct to say this, but in my experience, Miami Cubans are among the worst, although Miamians of all races have a tendency to be a**holes. Angry, loud, over the top people who tend to think far too highly of themselves.

Bad drivers? How about just bad people. To drive in the manner in which many people drive in Miami means there's clearly something wrong with them.

Miami isn't the melting pot that it makes itself out to be either. Miami is actually quite segregated and it's the black people in Miami I feel most sorry for. Miami is ran by Cubans for Cubans, from the very top to the very bottom. Diverse? Give me a break. Jacksonville is more diverse than Miami.

To live in Miami you either need to be just like them or completely and utterly oblivious.

Dog eat dog to the extreme.

Miami = 0/10.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:35 PM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm10091 View Post
Miami seems to be (or has become) a magnet for generally bad people, not necessarily in the criminal sense. I'm talking about narcissists, sociopaths, people who are intentionally arrogant, rude, racist and unpleasant to be around. I know it's not politically correct to say this, but in my experience, Miami Cubans are among the worst, although Miamians of all races have a tendency to be a**holes. Angry, loud, over the top people who tend to think far too highly of themselves.

Bad drivers? How about just bad people. To drive in the manner in which many people drive in Miami means there's clearly something wrong with them.

Miami isn't the melting pot that it makes itself out to be either. Miami is actually quite segregated and it's the black people in Miami I feel most sorry for. Miami is ran by Cubans for Cubans, from the very top to the very bottom. Diverse? Give me a break. Jacksonville is more diverse than Miami.

To live in Miami you either need to be just like them or completely and utterly oblivious.

Dog eat dog to the extreme.

Miami = 0/10.
Id like some specific examples.

If we're talking about people cutting you off or honking their horns, or stopping you from cutting them in line in an over the top way, or things like that then I say some of you need to grow up and suck it up.

Examples of the behaviors in miami that you dont see elsewhere please?

Honestly I just cant figure out if the people that hate the place are just racist, dont like heat, and arnt city people or if there is a real massive problem. Details would help for all of us. I notice a lot of extremely angry people down there among those that are happy. I hear a lot of this dog eat dog. Examples would be nice.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post

If we're talking about people cutting you off or honking their horns, or stopping you from cutting them in line in an over the top way, or things like that then I say some of you need to grow up and suck it up.

Examples of the behaviors in miami that you dont see elsewhere please?

Honestly I just cant figure out if the people that hate the place are just racist, dont like heat, and arnt city people or if there is a real massive problem. Details would help for all of us. I notice a lot of extremely angry people down there among those that are happy. I hear a lot of this dog eat dog. Examples would be nice.
Moderator cut: Off Topic

When I left - I was in my late 40's - was a WJF - straight - married - no kids and had spent about 25 years in Miami. Robyn

P.S. Love heat and humidity. That's a big negative for me in a place like NE Florida - especially this winter.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-04-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM

199 posts, read 475,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
Logger

Yes, I know that type of Cuban. Your regular run of the mill "new man", your typical "pionerito" freeloader you find in Cuba nowdays. Quite sad.

But what appalled me were not those types, but those short and squat Central Americans or South Americans with indigenous features. Those people definitely were not in Miami before. Most South Americans during the 70's that I remember were of German stock (no kidding), Jews, Lebanese, Italian, etc.

It was quite shocking. I was also shocked by a documentary of the Carnaval de la Calle 8. I was at the first one, 1977 or so. Back then it was rowdy, maybe vulgar, but no comparison whatsoever. Back then, it was aristocratic and high class compared to the new editions.

Quite a pity, because during the 60's, 70's and even 80's Miami achieved a nice balance between different cultures. The city was capable of abosorbing Mariel without further ado, but it seems that the place collapsed during the 90's.

I am sure that there are more indigenous types than in the 70's but I don't care what they look like, as long as they are not obnoxious and are law-abiding. The "indigenous types" actually seem less obnoxious and loud than the Caribbean-type latins. More low key. No matter. There are also plenty of nice Cubans around. The latin population is more diverse and there are definitely less anglos around than in the 70's. Calle Ocho I agree is definitely more rowdy than before.

For those that feel sorry for the blacks having to put up with "racist Cubans", it was the white americans that started it all with segregation and placed the blacks where they are now.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM

162 posts, read 229,648 times
Marina needs to go back to Russia.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 AM

248 posts, read 616,071 times
For those that feel sorry for the blacks having to put up with "racist Cubans", it was the white americans that started it all with segregation and placed the blacks where they are now.
----

Logger

No, at that time there were almost no obnoxious Latins. I guess that most were middle-high class. Even in the heart of Calle Ocho, people were corteous and old people playing domino and chess were fun and cultured.

Robyn says that he doesn't know why many Cubans adopted the US Citizenship right away, the answer is that they were waiting to return to "La Perla".

At that time, maybe the Latins that were more "flamboyant" were the rich shoppers from Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina that flooded Downtown, they had a name, "givemetwo", or "damedos" or something like that because they bought payloads of things. You could see Venezuelans with tremendous baggages at the Airport.

Cubans are racist? My gosh. When Cubans arrived Miami Beach was a Sundown town and Jews had to fight a lot duringt the 40's and 50's to avoid descriminating laws.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 AM

199 posts, read 475,965 times
I agree with you Neng that people in general were less obnoxious back then. In general, people of all groups have become less friendly. This does not just apply to latins. This might also be because Miami has grown a lot in size since the seventies. More people, more traffic and competition for space make people less friendlier and more impatient. Adding the number of immigrants who don't speak English makes it more unbearable for many. Other cities in the USA are also have growing pains, with all the negative side effects, in addition to the increase in materialism and selfishness typical of society. No time or interest for friendliness.

Anyway, since the topic is what I like and what I dislike:

Like Miami for its weather, clean air, tropical vegetation, Latin culture (I speak Spanish and Portuguese so fine with me), beaches, my family is all here, Everglades, Keys and Ft. Lauderdale neaby, hotties, Lincoln Rd., My life has been stable here and it definitely is better than what many city say.

Dislike the traffic, customer service. mosquito season, hurricanes.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:

There have been hundreds of threads about driving in Miami. It's a valid complaint and most posters here agree with that. Do a search in the forum about driving, the list is too long to post it here.

Quote:

Some are ethnocentric but for the most part there is some truth about it. I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami