Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 162,308 times

Advertisements

I love the fact that Miami doesnt feel like an American city, aside from the obvious Hispanic feel, I love the many cultures such as French, Brazilian, flair of things...yes there are many things that I could knitpick about but Im not, Miami is Miami because of the good and bad things and I love it! ;-)

Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 PM

470 posts, read 1,193,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Real estate prices and property taxes are ridiculous here. Gas usually costs more here than many other parts of the country, not to mention Florida. While my husband and I make a decent living, there are other places where you can get more bang for your buck, so to speak.
Well, I don't know if the first things you put are fact so I'm not going to comment on that. BUT, I don't know about Central or North Florida, but in South Florida, the gas is cheapest in Miami (and Miami-Dade County)

And while I can't say the last thing you said is fact or not, other cities in the country are more expensive than Miami, but you earn more so it balances everything out. Miami cheaper than NYC but you get paid a little more in NYC than Miami, so everything is balanced out. THAT'S FACT.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Like:
-Brickell Area
-My parents and sibilings live here

Dislike:
-Low pay jobs
-Lack of opportunities
-High cost of living
-Climate sucks!
-No hills or mountains
-The expressway sucks
-Traffic
-Most Miamians are very low cultured (no manners, no education)
-Rude, old and bad tempered people
-Architecture sucks (few tall buildings to live, full of two or single story old condos)
-Overcrowded
-Full of superficial folks
-Ridiculous property tax and insurance quotes
-There's nothing to do besides the nightlife
-Miami doesn't feel like an American cities, it feels you are in Cuba or in my country's ghetto...
Wow, wow and wow. Moderator cut: Personal Attacks Not Allowed Most of the things you mentioned are included and part of every MAJOR BIG city: Traffic, rude people (some), bad tempered people (some), overcrowed (some areas), expressway sucks (which I have no idea what you are talking about). Welcome to the city life

Some things you mentioned are straight up ignorant: It feels like you're in Cuba or in my country's ghetto (100% incorrect and ignorant), there's nothing to do besides nightlife (what!? where do you live and what do you WANT to do? there's everything to do in Miami), full of superficial folks (every rich area has some people like that, so just like NYC, there is going to be some of those in the richest areas), most Miamians are very low cultured (WTF? again welcome to the city life having to do with rude people, but ummm besides a few people from the ghetto, everyone here has manners and is respectful).

The rest is incorrect: Low pay jobs (that's untrue, it is lower than let's say NYC, BUT NYC is a heck of a lot more expensive than Miami so everything balances out), lack of opportunaties (what!? are you serious? there's probably more opportunaties here than most places because of everything that goes on here), high cost of living (I still have no idea what you or the other people that have said that are talking about), climate sucks (we have the best climate in the country, if you want cold move up north), and no mountains (true, but who cares, if you want live somewhere just because of mountains than go somewhere else, simple).

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-21-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Wow, wow and wow. Moderator cut: Personal Attacks Not Allowed Most of the things you mentioned are included and part of every MAJOR BIG city: Traffic, rude people (some), bad tempered people (some), overcrowed (some areas), expressway sucks (which I have no idea what you are talking about). Welcome to the city life

Some things you mentioned are straight up ignorant: It feels like you're in Cuba or in my country's ghetto (100% incorrect and ignorant), there's nothing to do besides nightlife (what!? where do you live and what do you WANT to do? there's everything to do in Miami), full of superficial folks (every rich area has some people like that, so just like NYC, there is going to be some of those in the richest areas), most Miamians are very low cultured (WTF? again welcome to the city life having to do with rude people, but ummm besides a few people from the ghetto, everyone here has manners and is respectful).

The rest is incorrect: Low pay jobs (that's untrue, it is lower than let's say NYC, BUT NYC is a heck of a lot more expensive than Miami so everything balances out), lack of opportunaties (what!? are you serious? there's probably more opportunaties here than most places because of everything that goes on here), high cost of living (I still have no idea what you or the other people that have said that are talking about), climate sucks (we have the best climate in the country, if you want cold move up north), and no mountains (true, but who cares, if you want live somewhere just because of mountains than go somewhere else, simple).

Moderator cut: FlamingExpressway I'm talking about the palmetto and the turnpike, I-95 it's fine Everything to do in Miami? hahahah let me laugh so loud! there's no theme parks, water parks, no nice theathers or museums, what else? The superficial I'm talking about it's not only for the rich also the tacky crowd like NW, Little Havana, and Westchester... what manners and respect mean to you? for me it means a lot, I like to be respected and I don't like people talking to me like they know me from somewhere else or with a bitchy attitute like in most Miami... In fact there's no opportunities here, unless you sleep with the GM or have a big a$$ contact that may get you to a good paying job, well that doesn;t work for most. Unemployment is skyrocket in this county, what opportunities are you talking about chancletero? You think is right to get paid $10 an hour with a degree? you can't even pay rent with that salary, that's why most young people still living under their parents' roof. I even got offered to work in a well known attorney's office for only $8.50 an hour, this is insane, they should pay at least $12-$15 an hour, or more becuase I have a degree... The wheather in here is pure hell, with no A/C we suffocate!! Cali has the best wheather in the USA, dry, sunny, mild, and beautiful!

You are living in fantasy, wake up and see all the mess people in Miami are going through!

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-21-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 06:15 PM

19 posts, read 62,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Miami's more expensive than many other cities (though certainly not the worst) when it comes to real estate. That said, other things like food etc aren't high.
Um...Miami is mos def not the cheapest for middle-class residents, but I've been to Southern California. And just some of the nicest middle areas, are about more then certain pockets of Miami.

What I dislike about living in Miami, is the lack green space and nice parks. Been to a couple of parks in Orlando. Also a few in California. And it just saddens me we barely have any worth going to. Granted there are some that are nice but nothing exciting. Tropical Park, Crandon Park/Gardens and Greynolds Park.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: FlamingExpressway I'm talking about the palmetto and the turnpike, I-95 it's fine Everything to do in Miami? hahahah let me laugh so loud! there's no theme parks, water parks, no nice theathers or museums, what else? The superficial I'm talking about it's not only for the rich also the tacky crowd like NW, Little Havana, and Westchester... what manners and respect mean to you? for me it means a lot, I like to be respected and I don't like people talking to me like they know me from somewhere else or with a bitchy attitute like in most Miami... In fact there's no opportunities here, unless you sleep with the GM or have a big a$$ contact that may get you to a good paying job, well that doesn;t work for most. Unemployment is skyrocket in this county, what opportunities are you talking about chancletero? You think is right to get paid $10 an hour with a degree? you can't even pay rent with that salary, that's why most young people still living under their parents' roof. I even got offered to work in a well known attorney's office for only $8.50 an hour, this is insane, they should pay at least $12-$15 an hour, or more becuase I have a degree... The wheather in here is pure hell, with no A/C we suffocate!! Cali has the best wheather in the USA, dry, sunny, mild, and beautiful!

You are living in fantasy, wake up and see all the mess people in Miami are going through!
WOW! Did you really just say all those things!? you must not live here. Do you know how many museums we have here? I'm not even going to mention anything else, it's not worth it. In any HOT place, without A/C it would be horrible, but of course we all have A/C, and besides, you can open up your windows and your fine. Also, theme parks? this isn't Orlando, you're acting like every place has theme parks and if it doesn't it's a sh@t hole. HAHA! sad.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM

44 posts, read 120,467 times
Quote:
Like:
-Brickell Area

Dislike:
-Low pay jobs
-Lack of opportunities
-High cost of living
-Climate sucks!
-No hills or mountains
-The expressway sucks
-Traffic
-Architecture sucks (few tall buildings to live, full of two or single story old condos)
-Overcrowded
-Miami doesn't feel like an American cities, it feels you are in Cuba or in my country's ghetto...

I like your answers. They seem to be very honest.....thank you.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Florida in general is still much less expensive than the other top and most desirable areas of the US, like the northeast and California.

The best parts of Miami are still around 10% more expensive than the best parts of Broward County and Palm Beach County.

In my view, while the southern tip of Florida is the only major US region that enjoys a tropical climate, Miami is better than other cities and towns of the region, and the entire US for that matter, because of its geographical position, its international demographics and business, its non-Anglo cultural influences, and simply because there is a lot more to do culturally and entertainment-wise than in some of the more sleepy towns and cities further north.

I think real estate buy prices are not so bad right now, and along with that property taxes have retreated to more manageable levels.

But the real budget busters remain insurance and other maintenance costs.

Yes, Brickell/downtown and that pocket in Dadeland are nice. However, I find in general that urban condos are a relatively new concept in the US and, despite the housing boom of the mid-2000s, US architects and builders still do not know how to organize space properly like they do in Europe and South America (can't speak for Asia and Australia).

The housing boom went bust in many regions of the US in general, and Miami condos in particular, obviously because of the way it was financed, but urban condos may not be a stable investment for still a significant period of time in part also because of structural errors such as very high built-in maintenance costs and at times just horrid spatial design.

It often appears that these designers and builders had only speculation in mind and have no idea of how human beings actually live in space available in a dwelling.

Housing in the US, and in Miami in particular, is still inadequate.

Therefore, the positives are geographical position, including climate, relatively less expensive than other highly desirable areas of the US (though more expensive than other areas of southeastern Florida), international business and culture, including education, wide range of cultural venues and entertainment relative to its geographical position (southeast US - with possible exceptions of Houston and Atlanta -, the Caribbean and northern South America).

The negatives are insurance and maintenance costs and inadequate housing even if you are willing to pay a pretty penny: the fact that the boom turned to bust reflects that they still haven't got it right, not only in terms of financing, but also in terms of urban planning.

The other things like traffic, crime, seedy neighborhoods, crude and rude people, are common to most any urban environment.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 03-22-2010 at 03:05 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
I like your answers. They seem to be very honest.....thank you.

Why do they seem to be honest .... sounds like you are simply justifying the rantings of someone who dislikes Miami intensely . Most of the bullet points that he/she has on their list are applicable to most big cities .

I happen to like much about Miami Dade County ... I think there are areas that are unique in their beauty and to imply that there is no culture is absurd .. it is there .. you just have to go out and find it . Traffic and rude people apply to any big city and to mention weather as hot and humid ... well duhh we are in South Florida .. what was expected San Diego weather ?

My biggest negatives on Miami are probably also my positives .. the Hispanic influence :

On the positive side I love the food , the night life , the beaches , the Spanish architecture ... I like that many hispanics are very family oriented and much like Italians do not rush to put their old folks into retirement homes and seem to want to keep some traditions ... I think many hispanic women are stunning ... on the negative I dislike the refusal of some hispanics to assimilate , learn any English and generally import some of their bad habits from their countries of origen .. I shudder at the ghetto attitude of some hispanic youths and I dislike that Cubans receive preferential treatment when they come here as they are no longer escaping Cuba for political persecution and instead are coming here for economic reasons like any other immigrants .

I guess that is why I live in North Broward .. so I can make the 50 minute drive to Miami to enjoy its positives and hurry out and back North when its negatives begin to wear on me

Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,144 times
Quote:
Like:
-Brickell Area

Dislike:
-Low pay jobs
-Lack of opportunities
-High cost of living
-Climate sucks!
-No hills or mountains
-The expressway sucks
-Traffic
-Overcrowded
Cuba is nothing like Miami or vice versa. If you have been there quo know there is a distinct difference in the appearance and feel of the two places. Also, what is your country? I want to picture "your country's ghetto" so that I can compare/contrast the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami