Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM

197 posts, read 668,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
I am moving to Brickell next month and want to learn to speak Spanish. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Classes??? Rosetta Stone??? I already speak Russian and some French so I am hoping to pick up Spanish as well
...just need to open the door of your home just kidding or maybe not. Most people in Miami is bi-lingual or multilingual. You'll hear a lot of different accents.

Since you are already a multilingual individual learning Spanish could be easier. I think the Rosetta method could be good; Also, I think tutoring or private lessons would be great to accelerate the learning process.

Here is a link Language Learning with Livemocha | Learn a Language Online - Free! this is an online community to practice languages.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
THanks everyone. I think I will try hiring a personal tutor and some tapes from the library
Depends how much you want to learn - and how quickly. My husband needed Spanish for business - and had intensive lessons with a private tutor. I don't know if his tutor is still giving lessons to private individuals (last I heard she had some corporate clients). If you're interested in her contact info - send me a DM - and I'll ask my husband.

My husband also took some Italian lessons from a retired UM professor in Miami for a vacation (it's easy to pick up some Italian when you speak Spanish). He liked the lessons - but he liked the Italian lunches the professor prepared for him even more .

These days - when my husband wants to learn a little of a language for a vacation - he uses the Pimsleur tapes (which teach conversational skills - not writing skills). So far he has taken Japanese - German and Hebrew - and he also used Pimsleur to brush up on his French. He is really good at languages - but some of these languages were very difficult. I think Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn (I took 8 years in school - decades ago - and still can get by on a primitive level even though I left Miami 15 years ago and rarely get to use the language these days). Robyn

Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM

20 posts, read 47,792 times
I've been living in Miami my whole life and have started to learn Spanish since grade school. My best suggestion is to learn it through daily conversation with people and visit heavily Spanish-speaking areas like Hialeah or Little Havana. I found learning it through classes, especially honors Spanish, was the best so you can understand the grammar and using verbs correctly.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
You definitely do not have to go to Little Havana to learn Spanish in Miami. I learned Spanish living in Miami myself... there's Spanish literally everywhere you go... in any part of Miami. I studied every day on my own using Rosetta Stone and a grammar book, then I'd go out and use only Spanish when I went out. I was able to hold conversation and do whatever without any English after about 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami