Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

Im currently finishing my RN degree in Chgo. I have never made a big move before, but turning 30yo I want a change. I am gay, so would like to be in a gay friendly neighborhood. I love the nighlife, having everything around, etc. I would love to live on or very near the beach. I did some researching and think Miami beach or south beach would be ideal? I need a 2bdroom and looking to rent for around 1-2k/mo. Also, I am freash out of school and wondering what Rn's are started at, as far as pay goes. I am white and do not speak spanish, think ill find a job? Long thread here and many questions Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
A friend of mine is getting her RN degree and I think she said between $21-24 an hour usually in Miami. That's why she isn't going to stay in Florida after she gets her degree, as pay is higher up north.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
My Aunt is a Nurse in Jupiter(1.5 hours north of miami) and even there they require knowledge of Spanish.. and thats basically white suburbia. I'm quite sure you're out of luck in miami unless you take classes and can show a proficiency.

Added Note: She might work in West Palm Beach, but same rules apply. Anyways, I can't imagine you getting a job without Spanish in Miami.

My advice: Learn Spanish, its fun and you will enjoy Miami a lot more. It makes life easier when you are in a situation when nobody around you speaks english (or at least refuses to admit they speak it). I'm a white guy and even sometimes I will pull the no speak english :P

Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
my advice is that you don't need to learn spanish to live in america.

that is discrimination.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I am a professional interpreter and translator (Spanish and English). A lot of my work is in hospitals, there are MANY nurses that do not know Spanish. I don't know if they are new hires or not, but I am pretty sure you can get a job without knowing Spanish, depending on the facility.

As far as a gay friendly neighborhood, I think you could live anywhere. People here are not up into anyone's business. But when you throw in the requirement of being near the beach and "everything", SOBE comes to mind.

You also might want to consider the Upper East Side, it is more professional and less young, hip, party crowd, which might be better since you will be living and working here as opposed to visiting.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Jackson Memorial is the place that pays more down here, about $26-27 an hour but they might not be hiring since it's all over the news they are laying off people, not sure, I don't know what positions they are getting rid of. I believe the other hospitals pay around $21 an hour. The Spanish could be an issue but it should not be impossible to find a job, as we still have a large population of African americans, haitians and white non hispanics.

Gay friendly is everywhere in Miami. Also consider Broward/FT Lauderdale which has a large population of non Spanish speakers. It's only 25 minutes from Miami and it's also gay very friendly. Over there the only place I would avoid is Davie, and many the suburbs as you will get bored there.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

that is discrimination.
no, its not discrimination .. Moderator cut: Personal Attack start learning languages or you're screwed. capitalism.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Personal Attack - watch it

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

that is discrimination.

Right on floridasandy! I'm actually suprised though that I read in another post where an RN in Jupiter is required to know spanish. YIKES!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I'm in the JAX metro area. For some reason - JAX was named in a publication as one of the 10 "up and coming" gay friendly areas in the US (this is kind of a conservative area - but there are a lot of gay people here - and most people mind their own business when it comes to personal things). In any event - we have a thriving medical community - including a new hospital at Mayo JAX. No need to know Spanish. We have a fair number of immigrants - but they're a diverse lot (think the most last time I looked were from Bosnia). Since there is no dominant immigrant group - everyone is pretty much forced to "intergrate". Might be worth your while to take a look. Robyn

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
no, its not discrimination .. Moderator cut: Personal Attack start learning languages or you're screwed. capitalism.

Better option: move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami