Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

Ok so here's my situation,

I am a male who is going to be turning 24 years old and am graduating college in May with a Bachelors degree in marketing. I am from New York so i am not really a stranger to city life. I am very sociable and am looking just looking for a change and good weather and have a few questions about the area.

1) What area should i locate to in miami? My main concern here is to not be located in / near a ghetto or slum. Im looking for somewhere close to the beach that is a good place to meet new people considering i am starting over here. The last thing i want is a dull place to live because i love to go out and do things.

2) Along with great weather is rain. My second question is do i have to be cautious about flooding in that area?

3) Is the area friendly to my degree in marketing, meaning could i easily find a job their in business/advertising? im totally fine with a commute as long as its within 30-40 minutes. what is the average salaries in the area with a BA in marketing?

4) what can i expect for rent in the area? i am going to be looking for a studio apartment for myself, preferably something that is relatively new and not run down from weather. I was thinking 1000-1200 to spend on rent.

5)Is south beach a high crime area?

6)I am used to insane traffic in new york / long island during rush hour. Can i expect the same in south beach?

I appreciate any information you give me because i am really considering this and this is a huge change for me because i havn't lived anywhere other then upstate new york (tons of snow was sick of that), and long island suburb (yet again i am really tired of cold weather). hopefully this will make my decision upon graduation much easier for me!! THANKS!

Last edited by Slash31; 04-01-2010 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Find a job first - that would be your biggest obstacle. It rains daily for months in Florida so yes you will see flooding. Crime is everywhere - but not particularly out of control in most areas of South Beach. Traffic in SB is a nightmare - NIGHTMARE - especially on weekends and holidays.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Sounds like South Beach is the perfect place for you. Lots of young people, close to the beach, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. South Beach isn't a high crime area, but t does have crime. As long as you do the right things you should fine. South Beach is traffic wise is only really bad on holiday weekends. Otherwise its not so bad on the regular weekends.

Yes you have to be cautious about flooding in South Beach, last summer we had some rains and it was all over the news. If you google South Beach Flooding 2009 you will find video and pictures. I would be cautious if there is underground parking as some of those parking garages got flooded with water up to the roof of some cars.

I would suggest having a job before you move down here as the field you are in is hurting all over South Florida. So get a job first before you move down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami