Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Houston all of my life and have a love/hate relationship with this city. I am a partnered gay man who has recently been offered a 100k job in Downtown Miami. For years, I have been trying to get out of Houston and now that it is a reality, I am starting to second guess the move for a few reasons:

Most obviously, things are comfortable and I am settled in Houston. I have great friends and, for the most part, enjoy my social life.

Also, almost everything I have read about Miami on all the forums has been negative. I can't tell, however, if someone from Houston (like myself) would necessary think all of the negative posts would impact them since many of the negative aspects of Miami are similar to Houston. (but many are not )

I'm also a bit worried about my partner finding a job once we get there, but he is a Spanish speaker and is an accountant so I'm confident he'll find something. Both of which I am not .

Also, diversity; I mean, real diversity, is important to me. Especially as viewed through the food scene. I love Houston's Chinatown and Little India. I know Miami doesn't officially have any of this, but there has to be excellent ethnic cuisine in the greater South Florida region, right?

Reasons, why I should go:

It's a new adventure in life and I can always leave after a few years.

It's not like I am being offered a job in North Dakota.

Over 30K increase in pay (not factoring in cost of living which I have found is not that drastic..Houston is getting expensive).

My partner and I genuinely love the heat and the ocean.

Ultimately, fear is getting the best of me. Fear of making new friends and finding my place. I don't want to get to Miami and find myself leaving my old friends and lifestyle which, I have to say, is pretty comfortable. Not amazing, just comfortable.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. Any advice would be appreciated,especially from someone who knows Houston and Miami (although I welcome anyone's advice). I want to make sure I am making the most informed decision. Ultimately, I know it is all about your attitude and how I handle a move that will ultimately have the greatest impact on my experience, but I also understand that it is a different experience and would love to hear your advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times
Miami can be an exciting and glamorous city if you have a decent, upper-middle class income and enjoy an urban lifestyle. If you prefer suburban living and/or are solidly in the middle to lower economic classes, it can be pretty rough.

It is beautiful. It is tropical. It does have a diversity of Caribbean and South American cultures. Asian cultures are noticeably absent in Miami.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
I have been to Houston, but mostly the port area for work but in terms of heat and humidity it is about the same.

As far as diverse cuisine, you will certainly find that here, the only lacking would be Korean cuisine.

Your partner being Spanish and an accountant will have a easier time finding a job with a lot of business, banking and export cratering to South America.

There is a gay community here and in broward a vibrant one in Wilton Manor.

Miami gets a negative rap because folks that move here want it to be like the places they left and most have a culture shock. having lived here for a very long time I have seen Miami in good days, bad days and evolving and becoming a major city.

Yes there are some negatives, but all cities have that.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
$100k is more than enough to live in the best parts of Miami and enjoy the lifestyle.

You'll have to look outside of Miami proper for most ethnic foods, as in "urban" Miami itself you get a lot of "fusion" places, mostly overrated and overpriced. There are decent Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indian places that are holes-in-the-wall within suburban strip malls, most concentrated in North Miami Beach. It kind of sucks though since if you live and work in the city center, they're too far away for lunch and with traffic it's only practical for late dinners or weekends.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I have been to Houston, but mostly the port area for work but in terms of heat and humidity it is about the same.

As far as diverse cuisine, you will certainly find that here, the only lacking would be Korean cuisine.

Your partner being Spanish and an accountant will have a easier time finding a job with a lot of business, banking and export cratering to South America.

There is a gay community here and in broward a vibrant one in Wilton Manor.

Miami gets a negative rap because folks that move here want it to be like the places they left and most have a culture shock. having lived here for a very long time I have seen Miami in good days, bad days and evolving and becoming a major city.

Yes there are some negatives, but all cities have that.
Ugh, I wish people would stop pushing the "gay community" of Wilton Manors. Maybe if one is retired...lol

Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,372 times
I too live in Houston and is seeking a transfer to the Miami area. Im single with no kids but I only make 53,000.. could I survive? I'm not that fancy and I do know how to budget but can I survive? Without staying in a rough area?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
OP-You'll be fine. The salaries between the two of you will allow you the nicer areas of Miami-say Brickell or Coral Gables. No there's not a specific Chinatown or etc but you will find good restaurants. Just do your research or just go out and try new stuff-that's part of the fun!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegyBery View Post
I too live in Houston and is seeking a transfer to the Miami area. Im single with no kids but I only make 53,000.. could I survive? I'm not that fancy and I do know how to budget but can I survive? Without staying in a rough area?
Oh yeah. $53k w/o kids will be fine.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,493 times
Thanks for the feedback. Overall, everyone's responses have been pretty positive and are aligned with what I've researched. Any input on the friendliness of the people? Making friends, etc.?

Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunk View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Overall, everyone's responses have been pretty positive and are aligned with what I've researched. Any input on the friendliness of the people? Making friends, etc.?

Thanks again!
Oh boy THAT question

Well let's just say that because of a lot of different cultures people living here have to get to know you first before being comfortable. You will find rude folks and be surprised by the occasional friendly stranger but Miami is a big sprawling area and you will get more of a urban attitude rather then a Mayberry vibe.

Because Miami is pretty big there are different areas with different vibes or personalities so depending on the area you will get either a version old the community's personality.

Also Cubans the older ones tend not to be friendly more keeping to themselves at first if you move in a area that has a few in your block. Because of what they went through in the homeland and it has been ingrained in them not to trust nieghbors. Trust me my mom and dad always kept to themselves and they VERY concerned of what the nieghbors would think. The younger Hispanic generations 30's and 40's have been here for a very long time and are much more friendlier.

The other thing is that younger folks tend to be glued to their smart phone/I phone so eye contact just doesn't happen but I figure that is everywhere.

Miami does have friendly folks and not everyone is rude, it is just more of a city vibe then anything else. We recently moved further south and were so pleasantly surprised of the friendliness of our new area, which was just non existing in the westchester/ olympia heights area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami