Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 47,157 times

Advertisements

We are moving from CT to the MIAMI area and our living location strongly is based on the best public schools. We have a 3 year old and an 8 year old. CT has an excellent public school system so it's never been an issue.

Miami though is certainly more spotty and any help in this area is greatly appreciated. Also, are there any top public school areas in the Miami Beach area (north or south). Thanks much in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,646,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFlo View Post
We are moving from CT to the MIAMI area and our living location strongly is based on the best public schools. We have a 3 year old and an 8 year old. CT has an excellent public school system so it's never been an issue.

Miami though is certainly more spotty and any help in this area is greatly appreciated. Also, are there any top public school areas in the Miami Beach area (north or south). Thanks much in advance...
Look in Pinecrest, South Miami, Kendall, Coral Gables, Miami Lakes, Doral, Aventura, Surfside, North Bay Village, and Miami Beach for good public schools. Please let me know if you need any more specific information.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,860,800 times
oh boy, im graduating this year. an honestly if i could i would got to miami beach SHS. they just built a new building, its very nice, and it wil be a magnet school next year.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,421,412 times
Education is an issue in all of Florida (the public systems are pretty awful). Most of our friends (both in Miami and up here in NE Florida) might have sent their kids to a public elementary school in an excellent district - but generally switched to private schools at the middle school/high school level. Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 47,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Look in Pinecrest, South Miami, Kendall, Coral Gables, Miami Lakes, Doral, Aventura, Surfside, North Bay Village, and Miami Beach for good public schools. Please let me know if you need any more specific information.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard Pinecrest and Sunset Elementary ... what metrics are used to gauge these schools? greatschools.com has a list of schools but it's difficult to know which would be universally agreed as to the best of Miami and how they're measured against others. Where we live now and where I grew up, there are schools that are considered the best, no matter who you ask. I'm finding that in Miami, everyone tells you that their neighborhood is great...which is hard to take seriously. If we move, we don't want to move again because of schooling ...

thanks again and anything further is appreciated...

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,403,495 times
I just learned that just because you are in the Sunset Elem district or even live across the street, doesn't mean your child will get into Sunset Elem. There are so many people trying to get in, that people that live in the schools district don't always have a 100% chance of getting in. If your child doesn't get in, I think Coral Gables Elm or Coconut Groves Elm would be the alternates.

The best schools are in Pinecrest and South Miami, there are some great magnet schools not in these areas. You would have to apply and probably drive to those magnet schools. East Kendall also has pretty good schools.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,421,412 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have heard Pinecrest and Sunset Elementary ... what metrics are used to gauge these schools? greatschools.com has a list of schools but it's difficult to know which would be universally agreed as to the best of Miami and how they're measured against others. Where we live now and where I grew up, there are schools that are considered the best, no matter who you ask. I'm finding that in Miami, everyone tells you that their neighborhood is great...which is hard to take seriously. If we move, we don't want to move again because of schooling ...

doggiebus is right. No matter where you live in Florida - there is no guarantee that your kids will wind up in public school X if you buy a house on block Y. Everything is subject to change. Robyn

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,372,689 times
Quote:

South Miami and Pinecrest are hands down the best when looking at the elementary-middle-high school pattern in general. There are a lot of good elementary schools in the county, but this number dwindles significantly as you move up in level. Then again, I never understood what makes a school "good" or not. I'm a strong believer that the socioeconomics of the student population significantly affects the environment of a school, which doesn't explain why Palmetto High is considered outstanding whereas nearby schools like Killian, Sunset, and South Miami are just "okay."

Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,646,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
South Miami and Pinecrest are hands down the best when looking at the elementary-middle-high school pattern in general. There are a lot of good elementary schools in the county, but this number dwindles significantly as you move up in level. Then again, I never understood what makes a school "good" or not. I'm a strong believer that the socioeconomics of the student population significantly affects the environment of a school, which doesn't explain why Palmetto High is considered outstanding whereas nearby schools like Killian, Sunset, and South Miami are just "okay."
Well, when speaking of high schools, all of the others are much more economically diverse than Palmetto. Palmetto draws from an attendance zone than is almost exclusively upper middle and upper class. Killian draws from a mostly middle/upper middle class zone, but has a large working/lower middle class area zoned for it as well. South Miami also draws from upper, middle, and working class areas. Sunset draws from lower middle to upper middle class areas. Elementary school attendance zones are much smaller and neighborhood-specific. Though there are some cases where schools are done by lottery (South Miami/Coral Gables east of US1, I believe - which is where Sunset Elementary is), most elementary schools are neighborhood schools, meaning that if you live in the small area near the school, your kids are zoned for the school.

Also, I would actually say that the East Kendall feeder zone has a better reputation, on the whole, than that of South Miami; mostly because South Miami High, though fine, isn't perceived to be as "good" as Killian. If I had a child, I would send him/her to any of the schools we're talking about, though. I know people who have been very successful in life, even after having graduated from "bad" schools like Hialeah High.

Last edited by Marlin331; 04-14-2010 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,372,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Well, when speaking of high schools, all of the others are much more economically diverse than Palmetto. Palmetto draws from an attendance zone than is almost exclusively upper middle and upper class. Killian draws from a mostly middle/upper middle class zone, but has a large working/lower middle class area zoned for it as well. South Miami also draws from upper, middle, and working class areas. Sunset draws from lower middle to upper middle class areas. Elementary school attendance zones are much smaller and neighborhood-specific. Though there are some cases where schools are done by lottery (South Miami/Coral Gables east of US1, I believe - which is where Sunset Elementary is), most elementary schools are neighborhood schools, meaning that if you live in the small area near the school, your kids are zoned for the school.

Also, I would actually say that the East Kendall feeder zone has a better reputation, on the whole, than that of South Miami; mostly because South Miami High, though fine, isn't perceived to be as "good" as Killian. If I had a child, I would send him/her to any of the schools we're talking about, though. I know people who have been very successful in life, even after having graduated from "bad" schools like Hialeah High.
Good clarification. Though fwiw, Palmetto (I'm a grad myself) also draws from not-so-nice West Perrine, though that's not a huge percentage of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami