Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Those tracks ARE active. They DO create huge back ups, especially (in my experience) the ones the parallel the Palmetto.
You're right, my mistake. I guess as luck would have it I street viewed all inactive tracks and assumed they all were inactive!

The line from the port just about up to North Bay Village is for sure inactive. Grass all over the tracks, looks like a ghost town track.

The line from the Dolphin to just about Dadeland Mall is missing a lot of track (it looks like) but even still, the land is still there.

Even just taking the tracks no longer used still gives two additional lines. Granted track would need to be repaired and put in a lot for the Dolphin/Dadeland line, it's still, IMO, a better start then the 2.4 airport connection miles and would be a heck of a lot cheaper then raising the tracks, purchasing land, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
The lines around the airport and going west and the lines that go along US-1 are very much in use by frieght trains.

Miami tranist is a joke and the only thing I am embarassed about in this city. It is ridicoulous that the county, state, and congress members cant figure out how to get federal funds for one of the largest US cities that has such a HORRIBLE transit system. This should be Miami-Dade number one goal but it just seems like no one cares. Living in Washington DC and Barcelona I see how great good mass transit can be and how it really makes a city world class. Miami would be a world class city if it only had a DECENT not even great or good metro system.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes, they are active, like I said, my mistake.

The Biscayne corridor is one that is inactive, though. It seems like the best option for getting up and running quickly. It goes from the port and the active lines don't start until almost North Bay Village.

This would be great since it goes to Midtown Miami, the Design District and the communities along the coast.

I believe they should get on this line ASAP. It would be a huge addition in terms of moving people and would help revitalize the area since 1) it would have a rail line to it and 2) it's close to the coast as opposed to being so far inland like Hialeah or terribly run down like other Metrorail stops so I think it would encourage this revitalization.

Connections to Metromover could be made at School Board station and Freedom Tower station and a connection to the current Metrorail at the Overtown station (beef up security there to 24/7 to make it safer for people)

Here's my thought on the system:

The dark purple corridor needs track, but it at grade, cleared and ready to be leased from CSX. This is defunct.

The red corridor has track that needs to be fixed up a bit but the track is there and also defunct. It needs to be the first to get up and running and be leased from CSX.

The light purple line is an active CSX track, but there are two tracks there so I'm sure something could be worked out this way the red line is connected to the current Metrorail without having to travel all the way down to the Overtown station connection.

The blue is also an active CSX line but again it would connect the system so you don't have to ride all the way around to get to some point on the dark purple line. This is only about 2 miles of track so again, I'm sure something could be worked out.

The aqua color is the only completely new raised track and it's part of Metromover. It could run from the new Museum Park site down the MacArthur and to South Beach. Miami Beach should have it run on the ground like the cable cars in SF and take out two of the four lanes of traffic on those roads. (It might make people take the mover as opposed to driving, although there would still be one lane in each direction on those roads so if you wanted to drive on those specific roads you still could)

Finally bring the aqua line up past Mt. Sinai along the Julia Tuttle and connect it at Midtown Miami to the red Metrorail line.

While by no means comprehensive it, IMO, beefs up the Metro system without spending $5-$6 BILLION (as projected) on ONE new Metrorail line.
Attached Thumbnails
Metrorail- Why can't they do this?-proposedmetrorail.jpg  

Old 04-19-2010, 06:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
^^^The last I heard the county wanted to make the dark purple section a bike/pedestrian pathway.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM

That would be a great thing, too. I'd like to see a bike path and pedestrian path that runs right along the rail line. I would think there's enough room to put in both. In the summer I'm not sure as many people would travel by bike or foot so the rail being there would be another alternative.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
That would be a great thing, too. I'd like to see a bike path and pedestrian path that runs right along the rail line. I would think there's enough room to put in both. In the summer I'm not sure as many people would travel by bike or foot so the rail being there would be another alternative.
It would be perfect, I could get excited to run start running get bored and hop on the train back to my car

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It would be perfect, I could get excited to run start running get bored and hop on the train back to my car
Isn't that the American MO? "Yes, exercise! Nope, wait, this is too much. Bring the car around!"

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Isn't that the American MO? "Yes, exercise! Nope, wait, this is too much. Bring the car around!"
and im proud to be an american where at least i know im free!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
I was looking at a map and noticed the abundance of rail tracks throughout Miami-Dade. From zooming in and going on Google street view, it looks like many parts are covered in grass, i.e.- not being used.

Obviously the city and county doesn't own the lines, but considering they look defunct, why couldn't the put together a deal with whatever company owns the lines, fix what needs to be fixed, put up stations and get the Metrorail running on these lines? Granted their at grade lines and need some work, but I'm sure it would be much cheaper to do.

The lines go from the port up through Wynwood/Edgewater, run right along Federal, right through Miami Shores, are close to FIU, run right across the street from Aventura Mall and continue north.

From the East/West they go just about to Doral, down around the airport, through West Miami and could connect at Dadeland Mall.

Additionally, there's tracks down to Homestead, run along the South Dade Expressway, out past Fountainebleau and by Miami International Mall and CA University.

I assume something so simple would have been discussed before, but why hasn't it taken off? It seems so much easier and more cost effective then building 88 miles, I mean, 2.4 miles of elevated tracks.

The line highlights the tracks (as well as the current Metrorail line)

One word answer, MONEY. Unless you want to pay more in taxes, which we already pay half a penny to public transportation, then there won't be any funds available for a MetroRail expansion.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
One word answer, MONEY. Unless you want to pay more in taxes, which we already pay half a penny to public transportation, then there won't be any funds available for a MetroRail expansion.
Well, the waste and other uses the tax is going for (which is wasn't supposed to) doesn't help at all.

As for the half penny increase in sales tax, that's not near enough. I'm sure as heck willing to pay more for a great system. I'm in favor of a 4.5 cent increase to the half penny. Up to a 9.5 cent increase if it would make the system world class.

A 4.5 cent increase is only $5 extra dollars per hundred spent (on taxable products.) That's not bad at all, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami