Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,284,731 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a map and noticed the abundance of rail tracks throughout Miami-Dade. From zooming in and going on Google street view, it looks like many parts are covered in grass, i.e.- not being used.

Obviously the city and county doesn't own the lines, but considering they look defunct, why couldn't the put together a deal with whatever company owns the lines, fix what needs to be fixed, put up stations and get the Metrorail running on these lines? Granted their at grade lines and need some work, but I'm sure it would be much cheaper to do.

The lines go from the port up through Wynwood/Edgewater, run right along Federal, right through Miami Shores, are close to FIU, run right across the street from Aventura Mall and continue north.

From the East/West they go just about to Doral, down around the airport, through West Miami and could connect at Dadeland Mall.

Additionally, there's tracks down to Homestead, run along the South Dade Expressway, out past Fountainebleau and by Miami International Mall and CA University.

I assume something so simple would have been discussed before, but why hasn't it taken off? It seems so much easier and more cost effective then building 88 miles, I mean, 2.4 miles of elevated tracks.

The line highlights the tracks (as well as the current Metrorail line)

Attached Thumbnails
Metrorail- Why can't they do this?-raillines.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,378,347 times
Like you said the rails are at grade and in such a disrepair. CSX owns some of the rail lines if not all, I believe. People don't like the trains at grade because it causes traffic back ups, accidents, etc. That is why the Metrofail was raised I believe. Also people don't like living next to a train, even a light rail train. So people will fight this.

The county has actually been looking into, on the south end of the county, to use the CSX rails that run along the 874 down to the zoo. They want to use the rails (which need to be repaired first and a deal needs to be made with CSX first that they run at night) during the day with a light rail which would go north to Kendall Drive, then run right down the center of Kendall Drive to Dadeland South Metrorail Station. They can't go north of Kendall with that section as there isn't enough space basically unless they eminent domain some homes along the stretch north of Kendall Drive in to Westchester to use the rails. But that still isn't fixing the problem of getting X thousand of people from the west across the tracks to the east where the jobs are. Look at the map, only one rail is going out west, they need to work on getting the people from out west, east. FYI, its a lot of money to put in rail compared to say a busway like they did down south. Its also a lot cheaper to maintain a busway than a railway.

But the sad part is people here will not give up the freedom of their cars. I personally would use it part of the year if it was like NYC transit, but I wouldn't use it from Mid-May through October as I don't want to be outside in the elements.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-17-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM

I understand the possible traffic problems and accidents, but I'm sure there's a way they could work around it. Maybe raise the sections that go through busy intersections like Biscayne Blvd?

I know people don't like to live next to a train, but in retrospect most of the lines were there before the homes and home owners should have, IMO, thought that there's nothing to prevent the lines from becoming active again so if they're not comfortable with it, why buy a home on a track?

I know rails are obviously more expensive then buses, but it terms of dollars and cents, it makes sense to me to use lines that are already there, not being used, and just need to be repaired as opposed to waiting and waiting and waiting and then never building the lines promised.

Perhaps if they got the lines running that would be a good signal to the federal government that Miami is indeed ready and is a good candidate for matched federal dollars. They could also use ridership statistics to their advantage.

I know if I lived way out west in Miami I would much rather drive to a metro station, park the car and then ride the train the rest of the way in, especially considering how some people claim Miami traffic and drivers are so bad.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM

I should add, I don't see why CSX wouldn't want to at the very least, lease the lines to the county. Their sitting idle now with no use. Might as well make some money off of them.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:57 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,409,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

I know if I lived way out west in Miami I would much rather drive to a metro station, park the car and then ride the train the rest of the way in, especially considering how some people claim Miami traffic and drivers are so bad.
The metrorail is great and i wish it extended to all sections of the county. Id so pay to take the metrorail instead and less city driving for me

Old 04-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Although from 2008, this from the Miami Herald gives a good map of what the system was supposed to be (RE: half cent tax)
MiamiHerald.com | Taken For A Ride

The Northeast Corridor looks to exactly follow the tracks up Biscayne/Federal to Aventura. It says the current cost (2008) is $5-6 BILLION. I would have to think a large portion comes from raising the track, and purchasing the land.

I would think keeping it at one track and adding some "pull off" areas, not sure what the rail lingo is for that, so trains could pass, would be far cheaper and pretty easy to do. I also don't get why the county is set on purchasing the corridor. I'm sure they could come to a lease agreement.

Stations couldn't be too much to build, maybe $1 million a station? I don't see why the whole corridor couldn't be done with $200 million or so, plus the lease.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,819,772 times
The metro rail is nice and I dont think it is as bad as people make it seem, it always gets me where I have to go, but I don't rely on it by any means. I like driving in Miami.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 PM

I thought the Metrorail was very nice, too. The only thing is, if you don't live by a station you're going to find it useless, most likely.

IMO it's better to use these defunct at grade tracks (leased since it would be far cheaper then buying them) and open up more rail lines to really connect the county as opposed to turning everything in to a boondoggle, costing millions upon millions of dollars and then have everyone turn against the project because the leaders are too inept to figure things out.

Driving is fun at times but I think once people realize the fuel they could save along with wear and tear, etc. they would be more inclined to take the train sometimes, then leading to taking the train most of the time.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,916,764 times
Default Northeast rail line

I'm familiar with the particular rail line along Biscayne Blvd., and I can tell you, it already creates more traffic congestion than light rail would ever create...because trains take 5-10 MINUTES to get through, and they run them during rush hour! I think there's plenty of opportunity for light rail there, and people who work downtown and along the Boulevard (e.g., from Aventura and Hallandale/Hollywood), and the traffic really wouldn't be any worse than it already is (e.g., 2 minutes to wait for a left turn signal vs. 30 sec for a light rail to pass).. BTW the same line goes through downtown Hollywood and downtown Fort Laurderdale too! It's such a waste to have that corridor being used only for freight!

Unfortunately, the proposed metrorail north line actually goes along NW27th ave up to the stadium/Calder. In other words, it goes through the ghetto...like most of the existing Metrorail. I can guarantee you no one who works a decent job downtown and lives in NE Dade/SE Broward would bother to drive or take a bus several miles past 95 to get to the Metrorail. Like the current system, it couldn't even come close to even paying its electric bill, so few people would ride it, and most of them would ride discounted or free. I doubt anyone in the private sector would be talking about a 27th ave route...ah,... gotta love the government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Although from 2008, this from the Miami Herald gives a good map of what the system was supposed to be (RE: half cent tax)
MiamiHerald.com | Taken For A Ride

The Northeast Corridor looks to exactly follow the tracks up Biscayne/Federal to Aventura. It says the current cost (2008) is $5-6 BILLION. I would have to think a large portion comes from raising the track, and purchasing the land.

I would think keeping it at one track and adding some "pull off" areas, not sure what the rail lingo is for that, so trains could pass, would be far cheaper and pretty easy to do. I also don't get why the county is set on purchasing the corridor. I'm sure they could come to a lease agreement.

Stations couldn't be too much to build, maybe $1 million a station? I don't see why the whole corridor couldn't be done with $200 million or so, plus the lease.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:52 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,097,760 times
Those tracks ARE active. They DO create huge back ups, especially (in my experience) the ones the parallel the Palmetto.

I do agree with the idea of using them in theory if the tracks were available. Let traffic get backed up, that will serve as motivation to use the train.

The REAL problem is that people don't merely use their car to drive downtown to work and then home. We have to run errands and criss cross different areas to get things done. There isn't a one stop strip for everything like a Publix, banks, your workplace, school for the kids, etc.

For example, if the current Metrorail line was turned into a corridor where you could live along it and get everything you need at one stop or another, it would be much more popular. But Miami by nature is so spread out that the density needed would not support it and the only projects that get developed near the line are expensive due to land costs and in turn only the wealthy can afford to live on the corridor and they are not the majority of the community.

I think they should fast track the Miami Beach-Downtown-MIA-FIU line. Imagine that line that would hit all of those places. Now that would be a major attraction. but the current Metrorail to Medley-Hialeah-Downtown-Dadeland really only services downtown south because there isn't much of a draw beyond Jackson Memorial....and the ridership in the Northwest is very low. I think it is due to a lack of attractions on this corridor. If the line went to Miami Dade North Campus, or Westland Mall or at least went through more populated areas, the ridership would increase.

I would LOVE to see Miami transformed into a city with a comprehensive rail system. I think in time we will get there, but it is true that people love their cars and independence, so the best we can do is just provide an alternative to the traffic and at least people have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami