Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No offense but, WHAT THE HELL?? South Florida has gone BLUE since the 92 Presidential election(Maybe even BEFORE that). And my bad, I should have clarified that MIAMI-DADE, hasn't really assimilated. Re-read my post, I was talking about each cities PREDOMINANT culture. NYC IS diverse, but it's PRE-DOMINANT culture isn't the same as that of Miami-Dade in which MOST of the predominant culture is that of Latin Americans in Dade County. NYC is a city of 8million people, in which it is predominantly WHITE European and assimilated, and MOST people speak English(It's WAAAAY more diverse than Miami, but it's PREDOMINANT language is English). Miami is predominantly LATINO, in which 65% of it's population speaks Spanish as a 1st language. Get what I'm saying? NYC's Mayors speak English as there 1st language. Miami? Not so much. Miami has the highest concentration of foreign banks(mostly Latin American), and Miami has a BOATLOAD of Latin American headquarters of American companies. What Southern culture do you see in Miami outside of the predominantly black areas? When you walk into Little Havanah, OR Little Haiti, OR Little Managua, OR South Beach, OR Coral Gables, OR, Coconut Grove, Or Wynwood, OR Brickell, OR Bayside, WHAT Southern Culture DO YOU SEE?
This will be my last reply to you Polo if you continue to type with so many capital letters, its just bad to read. Anyways...

1. South Florida is Republican, whoever told you otherwise was wrong. Mayor of Miami currently is an Independent that was originally Republican. Pembroke Pines is republican, Hialeah is republican, West Palm Beach is republican, Pompano Beach, Palm Bay, Coral Springs, Cape Coral, Hollywood, and Miami Gardens all have Republican Mayors. With the exception of Miami proper which had to run under Independent but was Republican and Ft. Lauderdale proper all of South Florida is Republican.

Meanwhile,
Mayor of Orlando: Democrat;
Mayor of Tallahassee: Democrat;
Mayor of Panama City: Democrat;
Mayor of Tampa: Democrat;
Mayor of St. Petersburg: Democrat;

2. Nobody including you has told me what 'Southern Culture' means so I can't tell you what "Southern Culture" I do or do not see. Neither can you obviously since you can't define the word.

3. As for language, is English what defines this 'Southern culture'?

I don't know what rock you live under but I don't speak a word of Spanish and yet I managed to maintain friends, relationships, school, and employment the entire time I was in Miami...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 01:16 AM

324 posts, read 659,678 times
I went to majority Hispanic high school
and managed to have friends and hold a Job too.. There is no denying that majority of the economy in Miami is Latin influenced... Majority of the wealthy people are Spanish.....

Last edited by Blkspice23; 05-01-2010 at 01:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
This will be my last reply to you Polo if you continue to type with so many capital letters, its just bad to read. Anyways...

1. South Florida is Republican, whoever told you otherwise was wrong. Mayor of Miami currently is an Independent that was originally Republican. Pembroke Pines is republican, Hialeah is republican, West Palm Beach is republican, Pompano Beach, Palm Bay, Coral Springs, Cape Coral, Hollywood, and Miami Gardens all have Republican Mayors. With the exception of Miami proper which had to run under Independent but was Republican and Ft. Lauderdale proper all of South Florida is Republican.

Meanwhile,
Mayor of Orlando: Democrat;
Mayor of Tallahassee: Democrat;
Mayor of Panama City: Democrat;
Mayor of Tampa: Democrat;
Mayor of St. Petersburg: Democrat;

2. Nobody including you has told me what 'Southern Culture' means so I can't tell you what "Southern Culture" I do or do not see. Neither can you obviously since you can't define the word.

3. As for language, is English what defines this 'Southern culture'?

I don't know what rock you live under but I don't speak a word of Spanish and yet I managed to maintain friends, relationships, school, and employment the entire time I was in Miami...
1.OBVIOUSLY We were talking about PRESIDENTIAL elections. If you think these are RED counties then YOU must be living under a bridge.

2. What rock DO YOU live under, seems how EVERYONE on here who LIVED in South Florida also(including me) concurs with what I'm saying.

3. What is the predominant culture of Miami-Dade? The flying of Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Haitian, Jamaican flags, cuisine is typically Caribbean, Music is typically Caribbean, accents are typically Latin American, language is primarily Spanish, typically Soccer fans(I should know, I'm HAITIAN).

There may NOT be something SPECIFIC that is Southern culture, but what do you see in Miami that is reminiscent of Southern culture if YOU yourself can't define what Southern culture is either? Especially since most people down there don't consider themselves Southerners(go figure).
What makes Miami Southern? The fact that it's in the South and it once WAS home to many Southerners. And that's all that makes it Southern.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm southern too but yet I was born in another country lol. I'm Caribbean and no one from Haiti Bahamas Cuba Europe brazil etc will tell u there southern.

Last edited by Blkspice23; 05-01-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I'm southern too but yet I was born in another country lol. I'm Caribbean and no one from Haiti Bahamas Cuba Europe brazil etc will tell u there southern.
No but my family who lives in Miami and all of their friends will tell you they are Southern.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No but my family who lives in Miami and all of their friends will tell you they are Southern.
They probably do, but I'm just saying SoFla doesn't have many of the "PROUD TO BE SOUTHERN" types. It's more of an, "proud to be a [Insert Latin-American Race]" OR [Proud to be a Floridian] type of place. I'd put it in the same category as Houston in a sense.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
I don't doubt this, just as no Miamian with New York roots will tell you they are Southern, either. But ask anyone whose family has lived there for many generations if they are Southern and they will tell you yes.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Your family and there friends are few of the millions that make up Miamis diverse population. So no that's a tiny percentage.. Just like the small percentage of southern people in Miami..

Last edited by Blkspice23; 05-01-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
YOur family are few of the millions that make up Miami.. If one you outsiders were tell me or my family that we would look at you crazy
That's great and all but most of if not all American born South Floridians will tell you that they are Southerners. Honestly, I don't see Miami much of a difference from Houston.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
That's great and all but most of if not all American born South Floridians will tell you that they are Southerners. Honestly, I don't see Miami much of a difference from Houston.
All except the transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami