Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 25,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Yes you will need a car because the city is so broken up anyway. But the nieghborhoods are really walkable I can get to places in Miami alot faster than I can in Houston..
This is not true. With the exception of some parts of Coral Gables, Miami Springs and of course Miami Beach, the rest of Miami is about as un-walkable as it gets. In fact, walking in Miami is a freakin' hazard most of the time because of the reckless drivers (try crossing the street there). Also, the steamy heat and humidity make doing any kind of physical exercise (even walking) tough during 10 months of the year. Everything is very spread out in Miami and you need a car to get everywhere. The metro is a joke, only one line going from north to south, probably only serving 15% of the population of Dade County.

As for Miami being a southern city, it's not. Miami has what I would consider the opposite of "southern hospitality" (a serious attitude problem and rudeness). Miami is more of a Caribbean city than anything else. Compare it to San Juan, PR before you compare it to Atlanta, GA.

There are a few old buildings left in Miami that still have the southern look, but Miami really cannot be compared to anywhere in the real south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
So basically I'm getting that Georgia, the Carolinas, all but two counties of Alabama, and a section of Tennessee is the "real south." Everything else is something else. I can live with that, most people can't.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
No All the clubs the guest Hotel for the event was in Houston. Galveston was just a part of the so called beach party... which was sundays event... Whoever planed those events need to come to Miami sizzle to see how a Pride is supposed to go.. And I never live there but I stayed with a friend of mine in his condo in the medical district or whatever that place is called..
What event you go to?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM

324 posts, read 659,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
So basically I'm getting that Georgia, the Carolinas, all but two counties of Alabama, and a section of Tennessee is the "real south." Everything else is something else. I can live with that, most people can't.

How you going to live with that when you cant accept that fact that Miami is the least Southern of all the major cities

Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Amazing, isn't it. Also, I can live with that as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 PM

324 posts, read 659,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBB1T View Post
This is not true. With the exception of some parts of Coral Gables, Miami Springs and of course Miami Beach, the rest of Miami is about as un-walkable as it gets. In fact, walking in Miami is a freakin' hazard most of the time because of the reckless drivers (try crossing the street there). Also, the steamy heat and humidity make doing any kind of physical exercise (even walking) tough during 10 months of the year. Everything is very spread out in Miami and you need a car to get everywhere. The metro is a joke, only one line going from north to south, probably only serving 15% of the population of Dade County.

As for Miami being a southern city, it's not. Miami has what I would consider the opposite of "southern hospitality" (a serious attitude problem and rudeness). Miami is more of a Caribbean city than anything else. Compare it to San Juan, PR before you compare it to Atlanta, GA.

There are a few old buildings left in Miami that still have the southern look, but Miami really cannot be compared to anywhere in the real south.

Well I did grow up in Coral gables and went to coral bales senior High and I did acknowledge That you do need a car to get around miami....

Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
I never said Houstons Nieghborhoods werent walkable I said that I can get around Miami alot faster than I can Houston....
Sorry. Neither city is more walkable than the other. They are around the same.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't get it when you say but it's Texas. Texas is one of the most diverse states in the country. Texas and Florida are about neck and neck when it comes to their southern characteristics compared to other southern cities.
I agree with this.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
How you going to live with that when you cant accept that fact that Miami is the least Southern of all the major cities
I started not to answer this, but if you were paying attention which I assume you were since most of your comments were directed at me... you would notice that I've mainly been asking why does Miami get a pass when other none southern cities in the south don't. A question that only way you could answer was by saying because people in Miami don't speak english. I've made the same argument over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Amazing, isn't it. Also, I can live with that as well.
I know, right?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 PM

12 posts, read 25,184 times
Quote:
Well I did grow up in Coral gables and went to coral bales senior High and I did acknowledge That you do need a car to get around miami....
Coral Gables is one of the more walkable parts of Miami, but it's still nowhere near walkable enough. Miami as a whole completely and utterly lacks parks and open spaces (it is almost totally devoid of them).

Miami is a Caribbean city to the core. It ceased being southern long before Mariel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami