Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Miami is a Southern city. But what people can't seem to grasp, is it's irrelevance and or existence during secession and the Civil War. Southerners themselves were just as much every bit considered transplants as much as Northern snowbirds were in the early 1900's. Same with Southern blacks. I'd venture to say that Bahamian blacks had an older history and influence than Southern blacks and whites. Having said all that, I consider Miami to be Southern because of the migration of Southerners too Miami throughout the 1900's. And because of it's geographic location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Is this not southern???

The way they talk is indicative of the South. But honestly it looks like it could be South Central. If they had Cali accents, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference of what region they were in right away even as a South Florida native(But I would figure it out eventually).

Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami is a Southern city. But what people can't seem to grasp, is it's irrelevance and or existence during secession and the Civil War. Southerners themselves were just as much every bit considered transplants as much as Northern snowbirds were in the early 1900's. Same with Southern blacks. I'd venture to say that Bahamian blacks had an older history and influence than Southern blacks and whites. Having said all that, I consider Miami to be Southern because of the migration of Southerners too Miami throughout the 1900's. And because of it's geographic location.
But what about the hundreds of thousands of Jews and Italians from the NE? Or the hundreds of thousands of immigrants from South America and the islands?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
But what about the hundreds of thousands of Jews and Italians from the NE? Or the hundreds of thousands of immigrants from South America and the islands?
They came around the same time Southerners did. I think..

Old 07-04-2011, 05:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The way they talk is indicative of the South. But honestly it looks like it could be South Central. If they had Cali accents, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference of what region they were in right away even as a South Florida native(But I would figure it out eventually).
Them Dade and Duval boys....Florida is somethin' else, lol.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
It's the most southern thing geographically in the country....So yea, it is.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:38 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
no tbh

Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 PM

491 posts, read 885,901 times
Quote:
Likewise.

I never denied Miami was Latin. I never stated Miami wasn't the 2nd or even the 1st most Latin city. I merely said population.

By your logic, then Cicero, IL; Santa Ana, CA; and West New York, NJ are more Latin than Miami since after all, you did say percentage is what counts for "a city's latin-ness."
To quote you directly from the comment in question:

"Los Angeles far away has the largest Hispanic population, followed by NYC metro, then Chicagoland."

Perhaps you didn't directly say that Miami was "less latin" than NYC or Chicago, but you sure seemed to be implying that. If that's not what you meant, then what was the point of your comment? That's why I asked what you were driving at.

The only point I was making in my first comment was that asking if Miami is or isn't a "Southern" city, in such a black and white fashion, and then adding "it's a simple question", is in fact NOT a simple question, because there is no simple answer. Then you came at me with the NYC/L.A./Chicago thing. So pardon me if I'm having a hard time making sense of your response.

And your inclusion of those satellite cities isn't very relevant to this discussion, since they are just smaller parts of much larger metro areas. If you really wanna go there, then let's throw in Laredo, TX, El Centro, CA, Nogales, AZ, and Yakima, WA for good measure.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 07-04-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
To quote you directly from the comment in question:

"Los Angeles far away has the largest Hispanic population, followed by NYC metro, then Chicagoland."

Perhaps you didn't directly say that Miami was "less latin" than NYC or Chicago, but you sure seemed to be implying that. If that's not what you meant, then what was the point of your comment? That's why I asked what you were driving at.

The only point I was making in my first comment was that asking if Miami is or isn't a "Southern" city, in such a black and white fashion, and then adding "it's a simple question", is in fact NOT a simple question, because there is no simple answer. Then you came at me with the NYC/L.A./Chicago thing. So pardon me if I'm having a hard time making sense of your response.

And your inclusion of those satellite cities isn't very relevant to this discussion, since they are just smaller parts of much larger metro areas. If you really wanna go there, then let's throw in Laredo, TX, El Centro, CA, Nogales, AZ, and Yakima, WA for good measure.

Los Angeles County has 5.5 million Hispanics. How is that not numerically the largest Hispanic population in the United States?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 AM

491 posts, read 885,901 times
Quote:
Los Angeles County has 5.5 million Hispanics. How is that not numerically the largest Hispanic population in the United States?
I give up. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami