Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 PM

169 posts, read 310,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
It doesn't matter where you live in the South. It is all the same I would say except New Orleans(due to French influence) and South FL. The rest is what I described to a tea, pun intended. Extremely ignorant and simple minded. I must say not all people are like that. I have met some good people from the traditional Southern states, but most is what I described. I stayed in GA two years, couldn't wait to leave. I don't see you can stand NC. One thing I might add is they are very nosy, clickish, culture. The same could be said about Cubans in Miami though.

Saying Miami is a third world city is just figuratively speaking. I'm talking in a sense that Spanish is the main language in the city and we are still in the US. lol. The homelessness was like that for years in what you stated though. The 90's is nothing like how it is now. It's extremely over crowded and seems like it's more trashy also. The last two years I want to say, I stopped going to Miami and did all my entertainment in Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach. I still had to work in Miami unfortunately though. I moved about six months ago from Miami and it's great hearing the English language again.
That bolded part hit the nail on the head.
Us Miami natives consider New Orleans another "us". They the city we respect the most in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Right now there is a massive trend in this country for northerners to move south. To escape the terrible weather, the rat race, and COL. That used to be moving West (and still is to some degree) but the West (especially California) is becoming expensive and a rat race herself, not to mention the American south is far closer to the north when they do want to go back and visit family.

Anyways, Miami is a southern city with a lot of non-southerners living here. Just go to the far northern portions of the metro or the southern portions of the metro and you see her old roots poking through.
This. Too many outsiders coming on vacation to south beach or moving here with no clue, distorting the image.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I have already explained this in post enumerated #604 in this thread but I will repost it here again:

The thing is he has no clue about Miami's history. The city was founded by Julia Tuttle (mother of Miami & there is a statue of her in Bayfront Park) who was a widow from Cleveland who owned 650 acres on both sides of the Miami River and she sold land to Henry Flagler's railroad who was a Oil tycoon from Hyde Park, New York a Yankee!
He made his fortune in Standard Oil and used his Oil wealth to establish the Florida East Coast Railroad from Jacksonville to Key West.
Miami and most of eastern Florida that developed along the rail road line and Flagler was building cities like W.Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale & Miami as resorts and pitched to wealthy northerners. They are the ones who settled Miami and bought property. Southerners basically came afterwards especially after the end of WW 2 when so many troops with Southern roots were stationed in Miami Beach during the war and decided to come back and make it their home.

Miami was never a Southern city to begin with!

Miami as a city was founded 31 years after the end of the Civil War and there are no Confederate landmarks in most of Florida except for the northern part of the state hence we do not identify with "Southern" culture.
Southeastern Florida was developed by Northerners for wealthy Northerners.

oobanks? Miami didn't even exist when Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground! Ask any Miamian who isn't black if they consider themselves to be "Southerners". The founding culture of Miami has nothing to do with the South.
oobanks? Care to explain how Miami is a "Southern" city? Besides it's Geographic location?
Funny how wrong you are.
When I got in the army my first platoon sgt was old white guy from Hialeah before it became a Cuban city. All we talked about was how it was growing up, he talked **** about how he'd never go back to overtown after almost getting ****ed up back in the early 90s. He's been around the states to a lot of poorer neighborhoods from Colombus GA to Detroit. He still considered overtown the worst.
Only people who's family migrated from northern states that were raised in the county DONT consider it southern. The natives will always know their roots and culture, regardless of white or black.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Funny how wrong you are.
When I got in the army my first platoon sgt was old white guy from Hialeah before it became a Cuban city. All we talked about was how it was growing up, he talked **** about how he'd never go back to overtown after almost getting ****ed up back in the early 90s. He's been around the states to a lot of poorer neighborhoods from Colombus GA to Detroit. He still considered overtown the worst.
Only people who's family migrated from northern states that were raised in the county DONT consider it southern. The natives will always know their roots and culture, regardless of white or black.
How does your anecdotal post refute what I have posted? I have already provided evidence that Miami & most of southeastern Florida was developed and founded by Northerners. Most of the blacks upon Miami's inception were Bahamian railroad workers who worked for Flagler and settled what is now known as the black Grove hence the Goombay festival and settled in Overtown.
Black & White Southerners arrived after Miami was established so I don't understand why you want to rewrite history. Even Jews from the northeast were in Miami Beach & Miami dating back to the early 1920's before the "Southerners" carpet bagged it to Miami.

As for this comment "The natives will always know their roots and culture, regardless of white or black" they already know that Miami wasn't founded by Southerners.
Please provide proof that Miami was a "Southern" city upon it's inception.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:39 AM

Wrong again smart guy.
Overtown was founded in 1896 WAY before coconut grove came along.
Slaves and "workers" built Miami and Miami beach but we're only allowed to stay in Overtown, which whites called Colored Town at the time. It's one of, if not the first black settlement in the south.
The Bahamians came later on by the loads in the 1900s and built coconut grove. At the time whites didn't consider blacks and Bahamians two separate groups of peoples. This is when liberty city was still a white only neighborhood. Once the population of coconut grove started getting larger, they began moving into overtown which integrated BOTH cultures and began to spill into liberty city. This made the whites move north, and the cycle continued until you got modern day carol city.

Henry Flagler was from the north, we know that. What does that have to do with Miami being in the south, under southern laws dealing with all the same southern issues other southern cities had back in the day?

You clearly don't know the history of the peoples you speak on. I'm half Bahamian, half black. My family been overtown since the 1930s. There's nothing you can tell me that's wrong that I'll accept. All we're taught is our history growing up.

Gave you the proof. Your confused mind equates a northerner to the conclusion that a city isn't southern. News flash lots of southern cities were developed by northerners.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Wrong again smart guy.
Overtown was founded in 1896 WAY before coconut grove came along.
Slaves and "workers" built Miami and Miami beach but we're only allowed to stay in Overtown, which whites called Colored Town at the time. It's one of, if not the first black settlement in the south.
The Bahamians came later on by the loads in the 1900s and built coconut grove. At the time whites didn't consider blacks and Bahamians two separate groups of peoples. This is when liberty city was still a white only neighborhood. Once the population of coconut grove started getting larger, they began moving into overtown which integrated BOTH cultures and began to spill into liberty city. This made the whites move north, and the cycle continued until you got modern day carol city.

Henry Flagler was from the north, we know that. What does that have to do with Miami being in the south, under southern laws dealing with all the same southern issues other southern cities had back in the day?

You clearly don't know the history of the peoples you speak on. I'm half Bahamian, half black. My family been overtown since the 1930s. There's nothing you can tell me that's wrong that I'll accept. All we're taught is our history growing up.

Gave you the proof. Your confused mind equates a northerner to the conclusion that a city isn't southern. News flash lots of southern cities were developed by northerners.
You might have been taught a history, but it's not accurate at all.

Slaves did not build Miami, and Miami Beach was originally a coconut venture gone bad.

Coconut Grove is older than Overtown (CG was established in 1825) and Liberty City (never a white neighborhood) was built as a housing project to move people out of Overtown which didn't even have things like indoor plumbing in the 1930's.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Slaves did not build Miami, and Miami Beach was originally a coconut venture gone bad.

Coconut Grove is older than Overtown (CG was established in 1825) and Liberty City (never a white neighborhood) was built as a housing project to move people out of Overtown which didn't even have things like indoor plumbing in the 1930's.
Actually you yourself are wrong.
The blacks who built Miami were mistreated and often under payed. CG was established 1825, but the massive area increase and culture it is known for didn't happen until the Bahamians got to it.
Liberty City WAS a white neighborhood. You're thing about the liberty city housing projects aka pork n beans.
The Beans was built once the population of Overtown started spilling into Liberty City, to keep the blacks confined in one area. Once they spilled out of the projects and started filling up the surrounding areas of LC, whites began to sell property for cheaper and steadily moved northward. Fact.

What I'm telling you is what documentaries will.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Sorry but the way whites distorted history and tried to delete it when it came to other cultures, I'm going to have to agree with Overtown Miami

Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
That bolded part hit the nail on the head.
Us Miami natives consider New Orleans another "us". They the city we respect the most in the states.
It's just different there. I always got along with the people from NO. History never tells why there was a Louisiana purchase. French were bankrupt from losing to the Haitians in Haiti. Had to sell it to the US.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Henry Flagler who was a northerner and Julia Tuttle also a northerner from Ohio built and founded Miami. Flagler extended the railroad from St. Augustine to probably what was called Fort Dallas before. Miami (meaning sweet water) was established in 1896, which is the youngest big city in the United States and is the only city to be founded by a woman.

http://www.historymiami.org/research...tory-of-miami/

Last edited by perry335654; 07-30-2015 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami