Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:21 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Gables = white flight??....granted, I am a relative newbie to the area but my experience has shown Gables (at least the Miracle Mile area) to be heavily Latino and I encounter far more white / English speaking people in the Grove...are there other areas, preferably ones where I can socialize, in the Gables where there is a predominance of English speaking/whites that I am missing??
Why do you even let yourself contemplate that utterly foolish mass-media-fed false dichotomy of so-called "whites" vs. so-called "Hispanics"?

Are you that weak-minded?

What are you missing?

You are missing your own independent thinking.

Good Luck with that!

Personally I never heard of such a thing. Most Hispanics whom I know are whiter than alabaster, especially in Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 01:02 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Personally, I associate "white flight" (term that prompted my question) with Anglo/English speaking Caucasians moving from Miami Dade to Broward and Palm Beach counties...enlighten me--do "light" Cubans, Venezuelans, etc identify themselves as Latino or White/Caucasian???...waiting with baited breath for your answer before asking Cornell if they should invalidate or take back my degree. Enlighten me, I'm all ears. Does Mariano Rivera consider himself or identify as black, not Latino?

In Orange County (SoCal), "white flight" referred to English speaking Caucasians moving to the southern part of the County after more Latinos (light skinned, dark skinned, medium rare) started moving into the Northetn part of the County. Tell me what I'm missing--was the earlier "white flight" comment meant to somehow suggest "Cuban American" superiority v other Latino groups?...I am dying to know.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-01-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Coconut Grove: Artsy
Coral Gables: Posh

Old 10-04-2017, 05:51 AM

505 posts, read 393,206 times
Caucasian Spanish speakers come from older societies, not tribals as Americans that divide people like 2000 years ago.
They are also Catholics.
So you have irreconciliable chusmones, finos, chusmeras, cagalitrosos, chompas, marabuntas and many other subdivisions.

Differently from California, Cubans and middle class latins don't pay much attention to American divisions.. as they are perceived as tourists.

There have been Spanish speakers -lots- in CG and CG since Christ lost his Havaianas.

Also in KB . was property of a Cuban woman.

Last edited by farinello; 10-04-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,811 times
Do either have live music, entertainment, cool bars, etc. just coming through for one night but want to show my guy a fun time. He has never been to Miami and I haven´t been since I moved in the 70´s. I used to ride my bike to Matheson Hammock and South Miami was still undeveloped. I lived near the parrot jungle but I have no idea what to expect now. Thank you in advance for any response!

Old 04-30-2018, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 19,768 times
Love the grove.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM

289 posts, read 305,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Why do you even let yourself contemplate that utterly foolish mass-media-fed false dichotomy of so-called "whites" vs. so-called "Hispanics"?

Are you that weak-minded?

What are you missing?

You are missing your own independent thinking.

Good Luck with that!

Personally I never heard of such a thing. Most Hispanics whom I know are whiter than alabaster, especially in Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, and the like.
Yes. It's obviously a mass-media-generated conspiracy, and not at all a legacy of racism that continues on to this day while "independent thinkers" like yourself who have never had an original thought in their lives deny that anything is a problem because they, personally, choose to ignore it.

Good job, buddy! Keep getting all of your opinions from InfoWars.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:40 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,482 times
Neither for moi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami