U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 PM

119 posts, read 212,688 times

Advertisements

Superficial, materialistic, self-serving, rude, uncaring douchebags plus fun that revolves around drugs, alcohol and sex = Douchebag Capital of the World.

Discuss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 27,889,590 times
hmm, I gotta say LA would top it with all those "up and coming" actors

Old 04-30-2010, 07:53 AM

224 posts, read 919,356 times
I guess we need a capital on each coast... LA and Miami are terrible for those things... why does everyone need to pretend to be loaded?

Miami and LA is like a full time reality TV show...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,800,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post

Miami and LA is like a full time reality TV show...
LOL. So true. The thing that makes your statement even more ironic is that most people in Miami probably wouldn't realize it was an insult.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM

326 posts, read 1,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
Superficial, materialistic, self-serving, rude, uncaring douchebags plus fun that revolves around drugs, alcohol and sex = Douchebag Capital of the World.

Discuss.

That describes every major city in the U.S. Sure people are rude and self-serving that's what big cities do to people you gotta be that way most times. This other stuff you wrote I feel bad with the people you hang with because most people I know in Miami are not that way at all. But then again we obviously have different qualities and choices we use to make friends. Superficial, materialistic, and fun that revolves around drugs and alchohol that all sound like humanistic behavior that is found all around the world.

At what point did MIami Fl become so Materialistic and Superficial?

Why didn't you just bring up this thread you've already posted about the same subject? Just because douchebag is a funny or your favorite word doesn't mean everybody is one.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:03 PM

329 posts, read 516,252 times
Superficial hmm..

I personally don't hang out with too many people that I would consider unattractive. It's not that I wouldn't but instead more of a "birds of a feather flock together sort of thing." I personally work out, try to eat right, like to dress nice, etc. So naturally I'm attracted to people with the same traits. When you're at work an you ask who wants to go the gym and one guy says yes and the other guy says no who are you going to be more like to bond with? So for me its not that the inside doesn't count, but you have to get past the outside to actually get to the inside. How many people would really date a person they thought was unattractive because they have a great personality. Everyone is superficial to an extent, its just that the people who are less attractive by societies standards obviously have to lower their level of superficiality.

Matrialistic hmm...

I guess I'm a bit materialistic. I like motorcycles, ATV's, boats, etc. and they're only material things. I guess I could try to have more fun just sitting in the house talking with people but for some reason I usually have more fun out riding with them. I guess I could by any jeans as long as their comfortable but you know I really feel like I'm the ***** in my True Religion jeans. I know its only psychological but I can't help it. But the funny thing is to me most people are materialistic as well. They just choose the thing they want to be materialistic about. I know people from the midwest who don't care what they wear but spend God knows how much money on their truck. So just like superficiality, it seams like most people who hate other people for being materialistic are materialistic to some extent themselves and aren't usually less materialistic by choice

Self-Serving hmm...

After living in NY and DC I really don't see how you can't be self-serving. I mean I would go out of my way to do a lot of things for my friends and even some acquaintances. But would I do it at my own expense...only for a select few. When you live in a large city competing for limited resources its really hard to go after the things you want without taking an opportunity away from someone else.

Uncaring

I really don't know how you gauge whether someone you know is uncaring, unless your stalking people to see how they interact with their family and friends. Again when you live in a large city its really hard for you to "care" about every person walking down the street.

Drugs

You got me there. I guess everyone has their vice. I guess I'm more of an adrenaline junkie so I never felt the need. It is definitely weird using the bathroom at the club and seeing someone take a snort in front of you just as calm as if they were having a drink. But again to me it seems pretty avoidable.

Alcohol

Don't really see a problem with this. I mean, I don't recommend going to work with you're coffee spiked but I usually drink whenever I go out with friends. As long as I've got a safe way to get home I see no problem here.

Sex

Again I see no problem with this as well. Try living in the middle of nowhere, where there is nothing to do. Then almost everything you do revolves around sex. Trust me, if you think you teenage daughter is having less sex because you live in some small town than in a large city then your fooling yourself.

And while under certain circumstances if we ran into each other quickly on the street I could see how I might fit your perception of a what you consider a douchebag, but I don't get the need to actually label people as such and talk about them. They enjoy life for reasons different than you. This sort of seems like when you see a bunch of fat girls making fun of a skinny girl minding her own business. But the second the skinny girl hears them and then calls them fat, she's somehow the rude one.

My definition of a douchebag is someone who goes around and thinks their morally better than someone else because they don't care as much about material things or how they look or because they drink less or have sex less.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,632,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
hmm, I gotta say LA would top it with all those "up and coming" actors

"Chewie" has obviously never been to Los Angeles , Manhattan or even Dallas .... Miami is pretty superficial but those three places will give it some serious competition . I was even tempted to throw Atlanta in there , but wil keep it simple .

Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,632,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
That describes every major city in the U.S. Sure people are rude and self-serving that's what big cities do to people you gotta be that way most times. This other stuff you wrote I feel bad with the people you hang with because most people I know in Miami are not that way at all. But then again we obviously have different qualities and choices we use to make friends. Superficial, materialistic, and fun that revolves around drugs and alchohol that all sound like humanistic behavior that is found all around the world.

At what point did MIami Fl become so Materialistic and Superficial?

Why didn't you just bring up this thread you've already posted about the same subject? Just because douchebag is a funny or your favorite word doesn't mean everybody is one.
Yes ... the way "Chewie" writes says a lot about him /her ... really have we not had our fill with the Miami is superficial topic ... I mean we all know that .. so lets move on ... also funny that our resident cynic Mr. Bacon shows up to echoe "Chewie"

Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,800,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Yes ... the way "Chewie" writes says a lot about him /her ... really have we not had our fill with the Miami is superficial topic ... I mean we all know that .. so lets move on ... also funny that our resident cynic Mr. Bacon shows up to echoe "Chewie"
I just chimed in because I thought Spyderman33's comment was funny. I don't feel the need to comment on Miami's superficiality because it is self-obvious to anyone who doesn't walk around with rose-colered glasses on. Also, I like the "resident cynic" bit. Can I get that added to the "senior member" under my name?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 PM

41 posts, read 102,419 times
The United States in general is materialistic. I lived ~10 years in both Honolulu and Miami and I would definitely say Miami is more superficial. Dallas, where I grew up, is also pretty superficial, but probably not as much as Miami.

Funny word that "superficial". When we talk about it here, it generally means "concerned about looking expensive". In places like Seattle, where I've spent some time, or Austin, where I went to college, people are much less worried about looking expensive. But with a large % of the population, you're not going to fit in unless you're wearing vintage/thrift clothing, a tasteful number of face piercings and tatoos, retro looking heavy rim glasses (if you wear them), and the proper amount of grime on your clothes and/or grease in your hair (extra points for dreads). If you're going to drive a car, the preferred model seems to be a 1963 Ford Falcon, or perhaps an old rainbow colored hearse. The look is definitely not expensive, but is this really any less superficial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami