Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM

470 posts, read 1,190,418 times

Advertisements

Port tunnel back on track; work may begin Monday - Miami-Dade Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/20/1639980/port-tunnel-back-on-track-work.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwxq=7 77337#Comments_Container - broken link)

What things do you dislike that has taken place and that are about to take place? To me the tunnnel for RIGHT NOW is not needed. All the time and money that went and is going to that should have been and should be put into what's important for Miami RIGHT NOW, like making Miami urban (and now it's all possible thanks to Miami21!), make Miami have AT LEAST a good enough mass transit, and making their economy better, making there be more middle class, cleaning up the ghettos, and having more things to do, and OF COURSE fixing the freaking parks. The bullet train is also another thing that shouldn't happen RIGHT NOW. Even though I think that the bullet traint right now is just under talk. The Marlins Ballpark I'm not too sure about. What things happened for the Ballpark to happen? I don't know this so that's why I think the Ballpark is a good thing, but of course that could change once I know of a certain things. Miami21 being implemented is a step in the right direction and is exactly what we need, it's PERFECT. Also, the mass transit extension and such that were said to being under talk seem stupid and pointless. Some take you no where or instead of taking you to important locations take you to not as important locations. Some do what we already have. I think a trolley is suppose to take us somewhere in Midtown where the metrorail or mover already takes us. What the freak is the point of that.

Now that we got Miami21 and the economy going up in Miami and Downtown Miami seeing a huge increase in population and everything, it's time we step it up for everything. No more of this nonsense and stupid decision making. Come on, what do you have to say about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,372,102 times
So increasing efficiency at a major port that generates $95 million a year "isn't important to Miami right now," but some abstract urbanization plan is?

As for the Marlins ballpark, it was something the owners wanted for several years and they finally managed to convince the city commission to do it. Pretty worthless considering the Marlins aren't a hot item down here.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 14,225,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
... increasing efficiency at a major port that generates $95 million a year ...
For as much as I'd like to see more dense and widespread rail-based urban transport in Miami as soon as possible, as a practical matter, international trade, and all the services that revolve around it, is the lifeblood of Miami's economy.

Having said that, now, either this is pork barrel or there is confidence that, despite current global conditions, international trade will continue apace, including with Latin America in the case of Miami.

In fact, wouldn't labor be relatively abundant right now and raw materials relatively cheap? To be sure, there will be corruption, but at relatively subdued levels.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,529,842 times
The Port tunnel has been talked about as an idea to get freight trucks off of downtown streets since the early 90s. The state of Florida dragged it's feet on this project when it would have been cheaper to have built it a decade ago instead. As it stands now the state will be picking up a good portion of the cost for this. Improving the effeciency of the port by having trucks use a tunnel off of the MacCarthur Causeway makes more sense than having these huge vehicles on Biscayne Blvd. and clogging up traffic downtown. Remember we have to compete with ports not only in Florida but with huge ports like those in New Orleans & Houston than can move goods that include perishables quickly. If companies that do business with our port feel that Miami takes to long to move goods they will go elsewhere. This is a project that was long needed.
As for your other points I mostly agree with you.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM

409 posts, read 643,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Port tunnel back on track; work may begin Monday - Miami-Dade Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/20/1639980/port-tunnel-back-on-track-work.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwxq=7 77337#Comments_Container - broken link)

What things do you dislike that has taken place and that are about to take place? To me the tunnnel for RIGHT NOW is not needed. All the time and money that went and is going to that should have been and should be put into what's important for Miami RIGHT NOW, like making Miami urban (and now it's all possible thanks to Miami21!), make Miami have AT LEAST a good enough mass transit, and making their economy better, making there be more middle class, cleaning up the ghettos, and having more things to do, and OF COURSE fixing the freaking parks. The bullet train is also another thing that shouldn't happen RIGHT NOW. Even though I think that the bullet traint right now is just under talk. The Marlins Ballpark I'm not too sure about. What things happened for the Ballpark to happen? I don't know this so that's why I think the Ballpark is a good thing, but of course that could change once I know of a certain things. Miami21 being implemented is a step in the right direction and is exactly what we need, it's PERFECT. Also, the mass transit extension and such that were said to being under talk seem stupid and pointless. Some take you no where or instead of taking you to important locations take you to not as important locations. Some do what we already have. I think a trolley is suppose to take us somewhere in Midtown where the metrorail or mover already takes us. What the freak is the point of that.

Now that we got Miami21 and the economy going up in Miami and Downtown Miami seeing a huge increase in population and everything, it's time we step it up for everything. No more of this nonsense and stupid decision making. Come on, what do you have to say about this?
You're one of those people that is so focused on one thing that you can't see the forest from the trees. Moving the trucks off the downtown streets allows downtown to be a more pedestrian friendly urban place and keeps business flowing that will provide for future growth.

Also the point of the trolley is that it would run from the southern portion of Brickell (where metromover doesn't go) up to about NE 40th st (again where metromover doesnt go). It allows people to instead of driving all the way into downtown to instead drive up to a parking garage and then jump on a trolley that runs every 15 mins to take them through the main north/south route. You should actually read the feasability study so you at least know what you're talking about before you try and dismiss it. If not you sound just as foolish as the people who were arguing against you about Miami21.

"As this analysis demonstrates, the trolley bus service is much easier to access than the Metromover in each instance, sometimes by a significant margin of 4 or 5 minutes. The bus circulator would not compete directly with the Metromover with its dedicated guideway and short headways running above downtown traffic and congestion. However, the efficient access times do show that the trolley is a viable alternative for quick access between buildings and key destinations. In addition, the trolley requires no vertical circulation being fully at-grade and it also avoids the discomfort felt by some passengers with being isolated on an exposed elevated Metromover platform. It would provide a reasonable alternative to the Metromover that does not serve the eastern and southern areas of the study area that well. The trolley service could attract choice riders that are not currently using public transit services. Once acclimated to the idea of using public transit by using the circulator trolley, these riders would be more willing to utilize other transit choices such as the Metromover, Metrobus, or Metrorail thus increasing transit usage overall."

Rome wasn't built in a day. You need to grow in a smart, efficient, economical, sustainable way. The trolley system is something that is more economical to implement TODAY. Once people are accustomed to the public transit and there are enough riders then they can probably expand the metromover to service the area more efficiently.

http://www.miamidda.com/pdf/trolley_feasibility_study.pdf
(http://www.miamidda.com/pdf/ - broken link)

Old 05-21-2010, 05:20 PM

I understand what all of you have put but Miami's international matters are good right now, yes it would be better obviously if they get even better, but it's not a necessity. Miami's other problems are more important and should be focused on more, well at least in my opinion. I never said Miami's Port is not important, of course it is, obviously. What I feel right now is that the tunnel is not needed now. For example, the Port right now and everything having to do with is good right now, but Miami's mass transit, how urban it is, the ghettos, etc. etc. and everything having to do with it aren't as good as they should be.

And having to do with the trolley, I saw the map where the trolley is suppose to go, it seems like it goes to places the metro mover or rail already goes. I'm sayingm they should put it in places that there isn't any metro rail or mover, unless it's actually a good thing. You mind telling me? I'm just stating my opinion. It kind of seems that there are just leaving the rail and mover the way it is because they havn't touched it in a while I believe. And they are putting the trolley in certain areas that the mover or rail already goes. I don't know, why would you take the mover if the trolley goes to the same spots and vice-versa?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,923,121 times
About the trolley thing, I doubt you can beat Metromover's 2-minute rush-hour frequency with a trolley system, even if the actual trips may take a few minutes longer. OK, so metromover trips are PAINFULLY slow, but waiting for the trolley is not much better. You would probably have 10-15 minute service like with the Brickell Key Shuttle. A free- or reduced- fare policy from Midtown-Brickell would be good, and in many cases you can probably do better than a dedicated trolley system with the existing busses. Expecially in the case of Biscayne from downtown to the Julia Tuttle.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Oh also I want to add that in my opinion, the whole MIA things they are doing are great, except for that I think that they should have just used the current rail that we have right now (but of course I think this because I havn't done a complete research, my opinion could change after I do). And why did they decide to make it a people mover instead of extending the metrorail?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,322,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
For as much as I'd like to see more dense and widespread rail-based urban transport in Miami as soon as possible, as a practical matter, international trade, and all the services that revolve around it, is the lifeblood of Miami's economy.

Having said that, now, either this is pork barrel or there is confidence that, despite current global conditions, international trade will continue apace, including with Latin America in the case of Miami.

In fact, wouldn't labor be relatively abundant right now and raw materials relatively cheap? To be sure, there will be corruption, but at relatively subdued levels.
no, because raw materials generally go up in price when a currency devalues as is and will continue to be the case with the U.S. dollar. Also, even though labor is cheap it is still not cheap enough to compete with cheap foreign labor. At least not until the cost of petrol makes importing the stuff impractical. there are a lot of things at play here, but not modernizing the port would be silly indeed.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,529,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Oh also I want to add that in my opinion, the whole MIA things they are doing are great, except for that I think that they should have just used the current rail that we have right now (but of course I think this because I havn't done a complete research, my opinion could change after I do). And why did they decide to make it a people mover instead of extending the metrorail?
Airport politics & cost prevented Metrorail from going directly into the airport. The Airport didn't want to put up it's share of the cost to establish a Metrorail station inside the airport. In addition they said they didn't have the space for a heavy rail system & the solution would have been a smaller system like a people mover that would connect at the main transit hub outside of it. It's only a 1 mile trip from the airport to the Intermodal center anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: