Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

^^^ And Cartiers arent all that impressive anyway when the person lives with their parents due to forclosure, and is late on the car they lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ And Cartiers arent all that impressive anyway when the person lives with their parents due to forclosure, and is late on the car they lease.
True..

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I'll agree that Miami isn't the best place when it comes to the tastes you cited, but that doesn't mean it's devoid of anything besides "flashing your Cartier watch around" either.
I was speaking in extremes to illustrate a point. But in all seriousness, it is very hard to come up with a list of venues in Miami that would cater to such. For example, if you want to hear live rock music, there is Churchills and what else? You want to hear some soul or funk music, there is Jazid and what else? Some live jazz, there is Tobacco Road and what else? Spoken word - forget it. Bluegrass forget it (although John Martin's used to have folk music once per month). Live indie hip-hop - forget that too. My goodness, even finding reggae music in Miami is tough....which defies logic (big name acts from Jamaica will come up and perform; not too much home-grown talent outside of Fourth Dimension, and they are really based in Broward.)

The Design District likes to promote itself as being 'underground and indie', but I never got that vibe there. If anything, it is 'South Beach Lite' where the parking is not as bad, and it is a bit off the beaten path. But it is still expensive and pretentious. Again though, different strokes for different folks. I like to have fun, but if I need to spend $100-$150 to do it, the fun is lost for me. Also I don't like DJ/club music exclusively. I have good friends in Miami who are excellent live musicians...and they have a hard time getting gigs. Why? Because it is cheaper and easier to find a 'DJ' with a MacBook that will play whatever you want to hear all night.

Compare this to most other major cities where there is an outlet to enjoy yourself no matter what you are into. This is where Miami fails....miserably!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
no you READ again. this is what he posted:

Just graduated and debating on moving to MIAMI vs. ATL I'm looking for a great party town but i'm not sure which one is better......

He put the graduated reference so it's not like people are totally changing the subject. He is probably trolling anyway. On my troll scale(1-10) he is a 10.
I guess we are not on the same plane here ... yes we are totally changing the subject .... he is asking which is the better party town .. period ... he may have just graduated from beauty school for all we know ... but certain people are making this an Atlanta vs Miami diatribe ... my self included ... I am only giving MiamiRob kudos as he pointed out the simplicity of the OP's original question . Why so angry Princess ??

And yes he probably is a troll !!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 AM

78 posts, read 72,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I was speaking in extremes to illustrate a point. But in all seriousness, it is very hard to come up with a list of venues in Miami that would cater to such. For example, if you want to hear live rock music, there is Churchills and what else? You want to hear some soul or funk music, there is Jazid and what else? Some live jazz, there is Tobacco Road and what else? Spoken word - forget it. Bluegrass forget it (although John Martin's used to have folk music once per month). Live indie hip-hop - forget that too. My goodness, even finding reggae music in Miami is tough....which defies logic (big name acts from Jamaica will come up and perform; not too much home-grown talent outside of Fourth Dimension, and they are really based in Broward.)

The Design District likes to promote itself as being 'underground and indie', but I never got that vibe there. If anything, it is 'South Beach Lite' where the parking is not as bad, and it is a bit off the beaten path. But it is still expensive and pretentious. Again though, different strokes for different folks. I like to have fun, but if I need to spend $100-$150 to do it, the fun is lost for me. Also I don't like DJ/club music exclusively. I have good friends in Miami who are excellent live musicians...and they have a hard time getting gigs. Why? Because it is cheaper and easier to find a 'DJ' with a MacBook that will play whatever you want to hear all night.

Compare this to most other major cities where there is an outlet to enjoy yourself no matter what you are into. This is where Miami fails....miserably!
Excellent post and this confirms what I've always said about Miami, i.e. that it's awfully polarized for such a large place. I know that not everyone in Miami is fake or is into clubbing and bar hopping, but that's the very dominant prevailing culture there. There is virtually nothing to do in Miami unless you're into "that" lifestyle. There are virtually no parks (Fairchild doesn't count because it's too expensive), no places to escape or unwind. Don't even get me started on the lack of musical diversity as there really is none. Few bands come to Miami itself, aside from the Bank Atlantic Center, all the way up in Sunrise. Miami's FM radio stations are probably the worst of any large city in the nation.

Sorry, but I will continue to warn people about Miami's many pitfalls. I have a close friend who is literally stuck there and very unhappy, just as I was. It was a real battle to stay sane at times, with the lack of places to escape and the awful people (not all, but a large # of people).

Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 AM

p.s. to the grad / OP, I would shoot for Atlanta, if you really have to choose between the two. Atlanta has more of a corporate presence, pay is better and living costs are lower (traffic is insane in that city though). Nightlife may not be on a par with South Beach, but if you like Miami, you'll have more money in your pocket to visit it whenever you please. Besides, in Miami, who you know is more important than what you know or what degree you have.

Last edited by BQ12345; 06-05-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
I’ve read a lot of the comments posted and for the most part I agree with what everyone is saying. If you’re looking for a party town (people don’t seem to want to go there so I will) some of it also depends on if you’re straight or gay. If you’re straight, Atlanta and Miami are both great party towns but I definitely give the edge to Miami. The beaches, the eye candy and the nightlife can’t be beat! Miami is my personal pick when it comes to party towns. If you’re gay on the other hand, Miami can’t touch Atlanta. For every 2 gay clubs in Miami there's probably 15 in Atlanta that cater to black men specifically. That isn’t even including the largely caucasion clubs, latino clubs, mixed clubs, lesbian clubs and everything else in between. Not to mention all the weekend house party’s, pool party’s etc. Atlanta is ground zero for gay and lesbian activity; Miami doesn't even scratch the surface.

Overall, I think Atlanta is the better option in the long run. There’s a lot more job opportunities with larger corporations in Atlanta than Miami. This is sure to ignite a firestorm, but you also won’t have to deal with as much road rage in Atlanta as you will in Miami. Keep in mind; you don’t have an entire district of Atlanta with people walking around half dressed so there’s a lot less tension in traffic-. Atlanta is also (and I’m basing this on my personal experiences in both places) the cheaper place to call home. All things considered, I’d choose the more expensive Miami to party, then return to my more reasonably priced place in Atlanta to live.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 06-05-2010 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 AM

One can assume Clean_polo hasn't come across this thread yet-lol.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 AM

MOMA, you are correct. Although ATL has terrible traffic, it doesn't have the Miami road rage problem. I would much rather drive in ATL than MIA.

(waiting for the "but road rage happens everywhere" type reply, dismissing Miami's problems.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM

I know right!

Let’s see how long it takes before the obligatory “ohh no, Atlanta road rage is so much worse” comment to be posted. At the end of the day, I’ve never heard as many horns blowing when lights turn green in Atlanta as in Miami.

Sorry, but that’s just the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami