Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in the northeast. I work in Manhattan. For the past three years I covered the south Florida market from NY. Over the course of that time, I feel in love with Miami. Sure it has its bad points like most cities, but the weather, food, skyline, beaches, etc. just far outweigh all the negatives in my view. I am a single, straight male looking to move to Brickell. I have made a few trips to tour several of the new condos in the area. I am really excited about the future of Miami as it continues to mature. I am going back this month to look at some more condos with the intention of buying something very soon.

Has anyone on this forum relocated from the northeast and have you regretted your decision? If so, why? I can't do these winters anymore up here. The heat doesn't bother me so I am not too worried about the summers. I am more worried about making friends. That's the only thing that I would miss from up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Well as for most people that relocate you will probably make friends where ever you work and maybe your neighbors. People say making friends in Miami Can be hard. This is true but if you a nice person and social I do not see why you should have a major problem.

You do not mind the heat and hate winters thats good because there are no seaons here and the heat can get bad. It never actually gets over 100F but it feels 100F a good amount of summer days. Now I go to school in DC but I was born and raised in Miami. Things people hate about Miami:
Traffic now yes your from NYC but there is NO good public transport in Miami a car is NEEDED. Miami is unlike any city it is very much a Latin American, Caribbean city. Many people will speak spanish to you first (which i hate) and some who work in places do not speak english well. You wont find this in downtown, Miami Beach, Coral Gables but other areas of town you will find this often.
People here are rude, I never noticed it much and being from NYC i am sure you wont either.
Besides for that I can not think of any other reasons. Maybe hurricanes. Just prepare your self for a Latin American, Caribbean city with some US influence. Its a very different city but you being from NYC as long as you do not mind driving a bit and the weather you should do fine. I think its the people from NJ and the subrubs or Middle America that have the problems with Miami.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

I think it's the people from ... the suburbs or Middle America that have the problems with Miami.
I agree.

As for public transportation, the Metrorail corridor from downtown Miami to Dadeland along US 1 is useful, as is the Metromover serving downtown Miami and Brickell. Having said that, you will still need a car for any dealings outside of that corridor.

Indeed, geographically (including climate) Miami, though contiguous with the continental United States, is part of the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico area, extending as far down as northern South America, including the Pacific side. In fact, as you know, Miami is closer to many northern South American destinations than it is to such US destinations as Phoenix or San Francisco.

I agree, then, Miami, a Latin American Caribbean city though officially under US administration and with US cultural influence.

Probably relatively young, single, solid professional experience, probably a relatively good salary, heading for the Brickell area, you are a perfect candidate for a successful relocation to Miami, even socially (I also assume that you have at least some Spanish language skills).

I could justify living in NY only with a Wall Street or similar seven-figure or more salary job/profession and a ton of wealth behind it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I agree.

As for public transportation, the Metrorail corridor from downtown Miami to Dadeland along US 1 is useful, as is the Metromover serving downtown Miami and Brickell. Having said that, you will still need a car for any dealings outside of that corridor.

Indeed, geographically (including climate) Miami, though contiguous with the continental United States, is part of the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico area, extending as far down as northern South America, including the Pacific side. In fact, as you know, Miami is closer to many northern South American destinations than it is to such US destinations as Phoenix or San Francisco.

I agree, then, Miami, a Latin American Caribbean city though officially under US administration and with US cultural influence.

Probably relatively young, single, solid professional experience, probably a relatively good salary, heading for the Brickell area, you are a perfect candidate for a successful relocation to Miami, even socially (I also assume that you have at least some Spanish language skills).

I could justify living in NY only with a Wall Street or similar seven-figure or more salary job/profession and a ton of wealth behind it.

Good Luck!
Thanks for all the feedback. I can speak enough spanish to get by. I actually find that when I attempt to commmunicate in spanish, I get extra special assistance. NYC is full of latin, South American, and Mexican immigrants as is the case in NJ, CA and AZ for that matter. Lol! In NYC there girls that serve me lunch are from latin. I order lunch in Spanish and they give me an extra serving.

I live in NJ so I have a car and know ungodly traffic. If anyone is familar driving the Tappan Zee Bridge at rush hour, you know traffic. I have thought about living in NYC, but the people here make your rudeness comment about Miami almost laughable. The people in NYC are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to basic manners. You can barely find a drop of sunlight and usually when you do there are twenty people standing in that one foot area fighting for position. Then comes winter...brrrrr....it is awful and doesn't leave until the end of April! BUT, NYC has jobs and good paying ones for that matter so people come here for that. I've been to just about every major city in the U.S. I would say San Francisco and San Diego are two the best, but they are both crazy expensive. You would never have a chance of owning a place with a water view. Along Brickell, it is a possibilty in today's economy and the overbuilding that occurred there. I am looking at several condos with views of the bay and downtown. Breathtaking.

I lived in Atlanta. That is a weird town because everyone is nice to you, but it is a "fake" nice that always feels uncomfortable. You never know who your real friends are. They way I see it every place has its problems. NJ has Newark, Patterson, Camden, and South Orange. These cities are bad as any in the country. Our potholes are the size of swimming pools and traffice on Route 24/78 during rush hour...fuggehittabout it. haha.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I can speak enough spanish to get by. I actually find that when I attempt to commmunicate in spanish, I get extra special assistance. NYC is full of latin, South American, and Mexican immigrants as is the case in NJ, CA and AZ for that matter. Lol! In NYC there girls that serve me lunch are from latin. I order lunch in Spanish and they give me an extra serving.

I live in NJ so I have a car and know ungodly traffic. If anyone is familar driving the Tappan Zee Bridge at rush hour, you know traffic. I have thought about living in NYC, but the people here make your rudeness comment about Miami almost laughable. The people in NYC are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to basic manners. You can barely find a drop of sunlight and usually when you do there are twenty people standing in that one foot area fighting for position. Then comes winter...brrrrr....it is awful and doesn't leave until the end of April! BUT, NYC has jobs and good paying ones for that matter so people come here for that. I've been to just about every major city in the U.S. I would say San Francisco and San Diego are two the best, but they are both crazy expensive. You would never have a chance of owning a place with a water view. Along Brickell, it is a possibilty in today's economy and the overbuilding that occurred there. I am looking at several condos with views of the bay and downtown. Breathtaking.

I lived in Atlanta. That is a weird town because everyone is nice to you, but it is a "fake" nice that always feels uncomfortable. You never know who your real friends are. They way I see it every place has its problems. NJ has Newark, Patterson, Camden, and South Orange. These cities are bad as any in the country. Our potholes are the size of swimming pools and traffice on Route 24/78 during rush hour...fuggehittabout it. haha.
I think you are going to do just fine in Miami. But I know your probably not thinking of it now but home prices in Miami are some of the highest in the country. Homes in Miami especially with water views are extremely expensive. Anything with a good water view in Miami is 2million plus+ But I am sure right now you are just worried about getting an apartment which are cheap now.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I think you are going to do just fine in Miami. But I know your probably not thinking of it now but home prices in Miami are some of the highest in the country. Homes in Miami especially with water views are extremely expensive. Anything with a good water view in Miami is 2million plus+ But I am sure right now you are just worried about getting an apartment which are cheap now.
Water view condos on Brickell or Brickell Key are well below $2.0 million...even less than $1.0 million. I am looking at several 2 and 3 bedroom units in the Brickell market that are all well below $2.0 million.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM

42 posts, read 306,746 times
Lol its funny because im soo sick on mia and i want to move to nyc!! But i understand why you would b looking into moving down here i think everyone needs a change in their life a new senery change of life style if not we becone bored and aggrivated with our lives.

Eithet way MIA is HOT i mean burning hot sweat dwn your back and think humidity. I hate it ! But im sure you will love it. Another thing is you will NEED a car its a must because unlike nyc public transportation sucks! The traffic in mia is pretty bad and ppl are not the most friendly so it might take you a while to make new friends. Jobs payless than they do in nyc but that is relative because according to othrt nyers i knw the cost of living here is less.

I personally do not like brikell too much it over looks the intercoastal not the beach and its more of a coorporate area. I like miami beach south beach sunny isles aventura bal harbour north shore more towards the beach... But thats just my opinion if you like brikell go for it! i really hope you enjoy living here its not a bad place to live im just sick of it like your sick of nyc..

Enjoy and welcome to miami!!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
Lol its funny because im soo sick on mia and i want to move to nyc!! But i understand why you would b looking into moving down here i think everyone needs a change in their life a new senery change of life style if not we becone bored and aggrivated with our lives.

Eithet way MIA is HOT i mean burning hot sweat dwn your back and think humidity. I hate it ! But im sure you will love it. Another thing is you will NEED a car its a must because unlike nyc public transportation sucks! The traffic in mia is pretty bad and ppl are not the most friendly so it might take you a while to make new friends. Jobs payless than they do in nyc but that is relative because according to othrt nyers i knw the cost of living here is less.

I personally do not like brikell too much it over looks the intercoastal not the beach and its more of a coorporate area. I like miami beach south beach sunny isles aventura bal harbour north shore more towards the beach... But thats just my opinion if you like brikell go for it! i really hope you enjoy living here its not a bad place to live im just sick of it like your sick of nyc..

Enjoy and welcome to miami!!
thanks. I am sick of NYC....dirty place, rude people, ridiculous cost of living with nothing to show for it. people here move every year because the landlord is raising their rents...that's crazy. I live in NJ and own my place. I commute to NYC...yuck! NYC humidity is worse than Miami. You don't even have a beach nearby to get a breeze. I just checked weather.com...86 in NYC and 87 MIA. And I was just outside on Park Avenue...muggy and humid as Orlando.

I stayed in Sunny Isles and Bal Harbour but it seemed so "sleepy" and full of old people. There was nowhere to walk to other than the beach. And at night the beach is just a black space outside your window. Brickell has a lot of activity that you can walk to...this is the one thing that I like about NYC. The views from the Brickell condos give you the bay during the day and the city at night...wonderful!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
I think you are going to do just fine in Miami. But I know your probably not thinking of it now but home prices in Miami are some of the highest in the country.

This is simply not true.

The Most Expensive Housing Markets In The United States: Coldwell Banker (PHOTOS)

It didnt even make the top 10 in 2009

or 2008

REALTOR® Magazine-Daily News-Most Expensive Housing Markets

The fact is that there are dozens of markets on both coasts with more expensive housing. California alone probably has about 30 markets by itself with more expensive housing.

This isnt even taking in to account the housing in South Florida has fallen by 37%, and the average price is now $180,500, which makes it the cheapest decent sized metro on the east coast.

Miami homes, Miami real estate

The only thing that generally holds Miami back is that

1. There is a lack of affordable housing in areas youd want to live in
2. There is a lack of top level salaries
3. There is a major lack of skilled workforce, which generally keeps prevailing wages down.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 PM

42 posts, read 306,746 times
LOL yeah I agree sunny isles and bal harbour are on the very laid back side.. soo if Brikell is what you like then Brikell it is ! If you can have the greatness of MIA and of NYC combined then more power to you!! Good Luck I hope you continue to love it here and stay a while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami