Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 AM

274 posts, read 627,663 times

Advertisements

PLEASE ANYONE WITH NEGATIVE COMMENTS... KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!! We are all aware of the issues of Michigan, and I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT IN MY THREAD!!

This is MY thread about me coming HOME to the state I LOVE and there is NO OTHER state I want to be in!!

end of rant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putman View Post
I just got back from a trip to MI, it is in horrible shape. So many people are gone and homes and property are selling for 20 cents on the dollar from three years ago. So many people have homes that are worth half or less of what they paid for them. BTW I want snow, be carful what you wish for, you just may get it. Snow is a thing that is like rain, a little is nice but when its day after day of gloomy no sun snow and you are chipping off ice to get your wippers to work and leaning in the drivers seat to see out the window and shoveling your roof off and trying to not dig up shingles to get rid of ice dams, dodging snow plows and digging out of snow banks, it may not hold the same shine as it did in your mind.

On my trip last week I saw homes that I knew the buyers bought for the 70 thousand mark put three years of work and remodeling into and the bank sold one for 2 thousand on a repo. Nope not kidding two thousand. Its that bad kids. I still would not buy in MI as I think it has a bit to fall. If you do be prepaired to sit on it for twenty years.

BTW michiganoldman, when you post garbage like you did above it makes me think that because of the depression that MI is in puts you in a very thin skined mood, like a nerve has been touched. You seem to want only posts with sunshine and lollypops in them instead of dealing with the reality of the situation. You must live cloistered up in a room with posters of sun and good times on them because if you ventured out side reality would hit you in the face.
Hey Putman...there are separate..."bash on Michigan" threads for garbage posts like yours. What, you see someone posts how much they like the area and it upsets you? Sorry...even though things may be bad here, I dont go around with a crappy attitude like yours and try to bring everyone around me down. Take your crap to the right threads.
Oh...and its people like you our state does NOT need right now. I sure hope you dont live here. I cant imagine what this great state would be like if everyone had your attitude.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
PLEASE ANYONE WITH NEGATIVE COMMENTS... KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!! We are all aware of the issues of Michigan, and I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT IN MY THREAD!!

This is MY thread about me coming HOME to the state I LOVE and there is NO OTHER state I want to be in!!

end of rant....
Those are some nice pics. IWS! I love the Lumbermans monument!! It is such a beautiful and peaceful area isnt it? And that view at the end of the trail is amazing!! If you do go there you better post some pics! I have always loved the Oscoda/Tawas area surrounded by the Huron National Forest....it may be my favorite part of lower Mi.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM

Michmoldman I will definitely post some pics of the Lumbermans Monument! The area around here is beautiful! You have the handful of dams, the Au Sable River, and Lake Huron just to name a few of the attractions.

Once I get working, I am seriously thinking about buying some land here! There are a handful of unfortunate foreclosures in the area and the prices are extremely cheap.

I went and looked at one yesterday right down the road from my parents. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with full basement and pole barn in the back yard, with wood floors throughout. From what the notice on the door said, who ever owned it just walked away from it because the bank considered it abandoned since July 09'. And the asking price is less then 20k and it's less than 5 years old!

Hopefully one of my interviews next week works out and I can start working! If that's the case I would go buy that place in cash then work on finding a Telecommuting job. Since I work in IT, those jobs are out there!

If the job and house in Oscoda work out, I would be the happiest person on earth!! I LOVE MICHIGAN!!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
Michmoldman I will definitely post some pics of the Lumbermans Monument! The area around here is beautiful! You have the handful of dams, the Au Sable River, and Lake Huron just to name a few of the attractions.

Once I get working, I am seriously thinking about buying some land here! There are a handful of unfortunate foreclosures in the area and the prices are extremely cheap.

I went and looked at one yesterday right down the road from my parents. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with full basement and pole barn in the back yard, with wood floors throughout. From what the notice on the door said, who ever owned it just walked away from it because the bank considered it abandoned since July 09'. And the asking price is less then 20k and it's less than 5 years old!

Hopefully one of my interviews next week works out and I can start working! If that's the case I would go buy that place in cash then work on finding a Telecommuting job. Since I work in IT, those jobs are out there!

If the job and house in Oscoda work out, I would be the happiest person on earth!! I LOVE MICHIGAN!!
Wow...good luck! Actually, if we were not wanting to move near TC, that area of Michigan would be the next choice. I could find a nice secluded spot by the Au-Sable and sit there all day! I am kinda bummed...we usually camp over near Glennie on the Au-Sbale every year, but did not book a trip there this year. I am already missing that area real bad and might have to do some last minute campground bookings! That area of the state is so far underrated, and very addicting!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Good luck on your move!! You definitely can't go wrong with Traverse City!! I love the area over there and can't wait to go back and visit!!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Great pics of the Ausable, that part of Michigan is often overlooked. I love the overlooks at Lumbermans monument too. Lake Michigan and the west side are awesome, but eastern Michigan is pretty as well. It is also much cheaper, much more quiet. People for some reason forget about all the nice things that are EAST of I-75.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 AM

You are correct Putman, it's all a matter of opinion. I prefer the cold beautiful winters, the gorgeous falls, the fresh springs, and the unbeatable summers to the the never changing same everyday weather that FL offers .

The lack of seasons in FL is one of the things I hated. Along with over crowding, rude people, heat and humidity.

For me I prefer the natural beauty and all the wildlife MI has to offer. I know plenty of people from cold states who moved south and love it. I also know plenty of people who moved away from cold states and within a few years they moved back.

Thats one thing so great about our country, you can move anywhere you want to get the type of weather you want! Give me 2-4 feet of snow, my snowmobile, my Jeep, and I am good to go!

As far as 3x as many people in FL vs MI, that's cool with me! But it's not quite 3x times more, it's more like 2x more (MI about 10 million and FL about 19 million). And if you think about it, with so many retirees that live there, quite a few actually live in 2 states. They spend their winters in FL and their summers somewhere else because summers in FL are unbearable. In just my parents retirement community alone which has about 15,000 people in it, roughly 1/4 -1/3 of them go somewhere else during the summers. So like you said, it's all a matter of opinion.

I have no problem living in small towns where I don't have to worry about locking my doors or windows when I make a quick run into town. As far as the home prices go, FL got hit hard just like MI did. So to me, FL has nothing to offer me.

Last edited by I_Want_Snow; 06-13-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
I got a job too! Finally after completing college for IT in 2007, I got my first IT job this past week after trying for 2 and half years to get one in Michigan.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putman View Post
I have also lived in MI for over 30 years, and I agree it is a matter of opinion as to what one like. One thing, when its hot in FL and you have to go inside for the day, its usually nice outside at the end of the day and you can sit on your deck and enjoy the outside. For me when its below 0 in MI you just hold up in your house, thats why they call it cabin feaver. I lived in FL for over seven years and loved it, got to missing my family and went back to MI, loved the cold and snow for about one maybe two years than it became hatred for all that is cold. I watched stuborn old people shoveling out their walks every day and even watched some die doing it. I decided a nice bike ride on along the beach front in Jan. was much better than fighting snow and cold. There is a reason that there are almost three times the people in FL VS MI. I would also not buy a home right now, I think that prices are still falling. LOL.
Again...believe it or not, some people like the snow and changing seasons. If you love Florida...thats awesome. Most of us who live here love it here. I hate never ending traffic...some people do...great for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan