U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,732 times

Advertisements

I see things slipping deeper in to a bad place for my town of flint. things keep getting worse and people keep leaving.
When do you think it will hit the point of no return for michigan?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM

999 posts, read 4,327,266 times
There is no point of no return...When things get cheap enough, people with money will buy and develop. Just like Illitch did in the Cass Corridor. Just might not happen in my lifetime. I doubt it will happen in my kids' lifetimes. That's why we're leaving, at least for a few years....Maybe when we get back, the Detroit Public School system will be fixed...

Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,480 times
I think michigan is not ging to turn around for many years either.
If I were you I would move south, or south west, where the economy is still doing well.
Michigan is on a down turn that will last many years if not decades.
I see people moving out of this state every day for florida and now the carolinas seem to be the big move in state.
I have been to south caroloins several times and it is a beautiful state. with much history.
For thoses who do not believe michigan is in a down turn like it or not, it is doing very badly, the worst in the union. we lead in unemployment, and people leaving the state.
our education system is broken and broke, and we do not have the will or the funds to fix it.
We have a gov. that loves to tax. and we had a choice between bad and worse this last election.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:45 AM

85 posts, read 280,610 times
Default cant agree more

michigan is going downhill fast and will continue to do so for many years
i live in detroit and although i live in midtown which has lots of development in it i still live in michigan and what ails michigan ails me

i will move before the new year just havent decided where

1. north carolina
2. florida
3. anywhere else on the east coast with jobs

i have a professional job and have for 10 years but finding another job in another state is hard too

cant stay so i gotta go

Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 AM

13 posts, read 40,708 times
Wow this is a downer. I too have heard it will take years before MI turns around. I think it is in pockets of serious trouble, Flint, Saginaw, and Detroit come to mind. But I certainly don't feel it is the whole State. I agree with "and the", when things get cheap enough things will turn around. Our cost of housing is so low compared with the east or west coast. Businesses can see that we have a beautiful state with good colleges and they can pay less for professionals because the cost to live is less. Our insurance rates should be much less, especially when compared to weather impacted states like FL. We love to bemoan our schools and yet my kids went to a rural public school (right at the baseline of Prop A funding) and they both got fabulous scholarships to some of the best schools in the country. And they competed when they got there! Some taxes are a good thing as they pay for the services we take for granted. Without taxation, our schools will be poor, our cities will be terrible and we would not have adequate police and fire. How we use and appropriate our taxes is what is so important. Don't give up hope, MI will come back but it will be different.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 AM

23,021 posts, read 12,182,214 times
West Michigan seems to be doing fine. Grand Rapids is building, I see new businesses opening all the time in Grand Haven. Development through all of Ottawa County is happening at a fast rate. The population here is growing.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 AM

86 posts, read 441,439 times
I'm in Flint, and I'm doing okay. I know a lot of other people aren't, though.

I'm not planning on leaving any time soon. I don't even know really what I want to do for a living (I'm happy with what I'm doing now)... once I figure that out, then I can decide where to do it! In the meantime, I'm fine here!

I do have to commute to Auburn Hills since there's not much work to be had in Flint - but I bring that money back to Flint and spend it there, which I'm hoping helps at least a little bit.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,887,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypurdue View Post
I'm in Flint, and I'm doing okay. I know a lot of other people aren't, though.

I'm not planning on leaving any time soon. I don't even know really what I want to do for a living (I'm happy with what I'm doing now)... once I figure that out, then I can decide where to do it! In the meantime, I'm fine here!

I do have to commute to Auburn Hills since there's not much work to be had in Flint - but I bring that money back to Flint and spend it there, which I'm hoping helps at least a little bit.
Hey--every little bit helps! I say you have a great attitude and keep it up!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM

53 posts, read 322,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
There is no point of no return...When things get cheap enough, people with money will buy and develop. Just like Illitch did in the Cass Corridor. Just might not happen in my lifetime. I doubt it will happen in my kids' lifetimes. That's why we're leaving, at least for a few years....Maybe when we get back, the Detroit Public School system will be fixed...

I've heard quite a few negative things about the Cass Corridor. Has it been recently revitalized?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
I live in grand rapids, and things are not doing "fine."
Home prices and sales are slumping just like the rest of michigan.
I am a real estate agent in GR, and sell comercial and res, propertys. both are not moving well at all.
Some people are holding on to their propertys and hoping things will turn around. I do not see this for the near future.
We are doing every trick in the book to sell property, what was once unhead of is comonplace today, such as, giving a buyers agent kick back, that is to say 1000 or 5000 bonus to a buyers agent, buyers are rare an hard to come by.
I am hoping things will turn around in another year. but I will not hold my hand over by butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan