Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 15,849 times

Advertisements

hubby and i are relocating and want to know what safe neighborhood's the are.
Any advice on Kalamazoo neighborhoods to find a house in the $100K to $200K price range that has the following:

1.Near Fishing or on lake/ golf course
2.Near Restaurants
3. Somewhat near bike paths

Yeah, I know it's unlikely but I thought I would ask!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Kalamazoo is not a hotbed of crime, but the seedy areas are north and south of downtown through addresses 2000 or so.
Kalamazoo Real Estate & Kalamazoo Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Portage is the area south of I-94 and has it all imo. Lakes, parks, low crime. The lakes area has less rush hour traffic and congestion, and there is fishing and boating. There is the Gourdneck state game area right nearby. Major shopping is on South Westnedge.
Portage Real Estate & Portage Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Portage Bikeway - City of Portage
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-05-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM

235 posts, read 536,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucina1 View Post
hubby and i are relocating and want to know what safe neighborhood's the are.
Any advice on Kalamazoo neighborhoods to find a house in the $100K to $200K price range that has the following:

1.Near Fishing or on lake/ golf course
2.Near Restaurants
3. Somewhat near bike paths

Yeah, I know it's unlikely but I thought I would ask!
Thanks
Is there someplace that you would like to be near for work? Do you have any interest in being in the KPS school district for the Kalamazoo promise?

This wiki article has a map of the neighborhoods. Here is some info on neighborhood associations & townships in the area.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
I'd go out to Lawton 12 miles West of K-zoo. There's a golf course and there's Bankston Lake and further south down M-40 Cedar Lake, Lake Huzzy. A little west of Paw Paw on Red Arrow Hwy there's golf and Cora Lake. Pretty Lake is nice, little east of Mattawan. Big T's is a great resteraunt in Lawton.

I really liked eastern Van Buren County in that area and K-zoo is just 12-15 miles away from most of what I described.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM

235 posts, read 536,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I'd go out to Lawton 12 miles West of K-zoo. There's a golf course and there's Bankston Lake and further south down M-40 Cedar Lake, Lake Huzzy. A little west of Paw Paw on Red Arrow Hwy there's golf and Cora Lake. Pretty Lake is nice, little east of Mattawan. Big T's is a great resteraunt in Lawton.

I really liked eastern Van Buren County in that area and K-zoo is just 12-15 miles away from most of what I described.
In Lawton you'd also have the restaurants (and schools) from Mattawan & Paw Paw to choose from...but the area doesn't particularly strike me as a place for bicycling, but I'm really not all that familiar with that scene.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM

412 posts, read 679,711 times
The Kal-Haven trail is on the outskirts of Gobles, and the Paw Paw/Lawton area has everything you could need.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 AM

wow thanks everyone its given us a lot to consider!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 19,876 times
Default You will love Kalamazoo!

Check out The Moors in Portage. Developed around a Golf course with condo's & higher end houses with great restaraunt and close to shopping. Portage has added quite a few bike lanes that connect to trails (Nice one that goes along the river) and you will be close enough to Kalamazoo to enjoy great city life!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM

We are considering a move to Kzoo to Strkyer. Hubby likes to fish so are there nice lake communities? Wouldn't mind living on lake front property but then the question is...what's it really like in the winter?!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM

214 posts, read 673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucina1 View Post
We are considering a move to Kzoo to Strkyer. Hubby likes to fish so are there nice lake communities? Wouldn't mind living on lake front property but then the question is...what's it really like in the winter?!
Cold!

But then there's also ice fishing! Just make sure to stock up on the winter gear. Layers are the key!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan