Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times

Advertisements

Just read this little article....very cool.

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:28 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Just read this little article....very cool.

washingtonpost.com
yes , that artical has been in the local paper and on the news. No a bad report...details Marquettes best kept secret, its lakeshore and beaches. I drive the route along the shore several times a week. Watching the ships load and unload is also very interesting. I have never drove the Presque Isle loop with out seeing deer....and the view from sunset point is a big local favorite. We have a brand new Coast Gard Station also. There are 2 harbors upper and lower. In summer they are quite full of boats, the fish market is there for fresh catch . All in all , Marquette has a wonderful ,restored, lakeshore. Its growing too, Hampton Inn. is building soon and a new set of Condos are going up in Founders Landing.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
yes , that artical has been in the local paper and on the news. No a bad report...details Marquettes best kept secret, its lakeshore and beaches. I drive the route along the shore several times a week. Watching the ships load and unload is also very interesting. I have never drove the Presque Isle loop with out seeing deer....and the view from sunset point is a big local favorite. We have a brand new Coast Gard Station also. There are 2 harbors upper and lower. In summer they are quite full of boats, the fish market is there for fresh catch . All in all , Marquette has a wonderful ,restored, lakeshore. Its growing too, Hampton Inn. is building soon and a new set of Condos are going up in Founders Landing.
Hey, were coming up in a month to stay near the Porcupine Mountains. What are some MUST sees while we are there, that cost nothing or not too expensive. The gas alone is gonna be a killer, but still gonna spend some money.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Aside from whats around Marquette County, assuming you have done this area before, I am not all that up to date on the Porkies. Ofcoarse you must see the inland lakes in the Park. Lake in the Clouds is a U.P. landmark, one of the best views you will ever see in the US., looking down on the lake from the lookout point. There are many trails throught the Park,Mirror lake is a long hike , bur worth it, beatiful !
The area along U.P. most western shore is mostly a winter destination, lots of downhill and cross country ski opertunities. Ita a long way from Marquette, I have not been over there in 20 years. I am sure locals on here can fill you in better on current things to do in the area.
If you have the time , you should go up north to the Copper Country., much more to see and do. Mine tours, ghost towns, history measums, rock collecting, then at the end of US 41 is Copper Harbor, my favorite place in the Country. Its like a little fishing Village on the shore of a new England coastline, yet its in the Midwest ! Go to Eagle harbor , a nice drive along the shore, Brockway MTN. for great views. We always stayed at the Keweenaw Mt. Lodge, a wonderful place just outside of Copper Harbor... Can be pricey, but worth it. Mostly booked a year in advanced. during season however. There is so much to do in the western U.P. that you need 2 weeks to see it all, and then only a glimpse.....You will be here during Thimbleberry season in the Keweenaw, eat your full they are great !.
So, so much to do and see, but , most of it is what you discover on your own, thats the way I did it, over the years. Low key travel, no guided tours kinda thing . Let me know if you have anything specific you want to see or do, I will try to help.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 PM

71 posts, read 278,451 times
Quote:
Hey, were coming up in a month to stay near the Porcupine Mountains. What are some MUST sees while we are there, that cost nothing or not too expensive. The gas alone is gonna be a killer, but still gonna spend some money.
Quote:
We were just up there. You'll have to check out the trails....there are so many: http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=426 . Summit peak is short and easy, with an observation tower as the destination. Another nice trail is the East and West River that follow the Presque Isle River. http://www.exploringthenorth.com/porkiesum/hike.html

In Ontonagon, you have to go to Syl's Restaurant and Bakery. Really good pasties...the other stuff looked to be good, as well. The prices were really reasonable. We went back a couple of times.

We went on to Copper Harbor, where we spent even more time. A beautiful area, indeed. There are more things to do there than we thought in previous visits, when we just dropped in on our way to something else. An historic fort, several public access shoreline areas to lake-watch, trails, etc., made this one of the favorite parts of our UP trip.

Some other things you might want to check out:
http://www.westernup.com/bondfalls/

http://www.westernup.com/waterfalls/

Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM

I forgot about the fort. Its east of town. Fort Wilkinson, I think. There are the Estivent Pines there also, very large old growth, worth seeing. Everyone always went down to the city dump at night to watch the bears also.... Copper Harbor has ferry service to Isle Royal, a trip that everyone should make once in a lifetime, or more. I am sure lots has changed since we used to go to the Harbor years ago. There are two tracks that we would take out to the point east of the Harbor, camp on the shore, and watch the ore boats go by off shore....all the while listening to Gordon Lightfoot on the Radio. Not sure if today you can do that, but it was the highlight of many a visit to Copper Harbor. There is a lighthouse you can hike to, fun couple of hours.... We had friends that owned a Motel in town....I am sure they are long gone by now. We all wintered in Key West together..long ago. The Harbor is so far north that all the TV and radio was Canadian stations, and the daylight lingered until 11:00 at night in July..... I spent a lot of time 35 years ago up there, every summer and always would fly-in for the Fall color. I went through two wives visiting the Harbor over the years There is a group of Monks that make the best wild Jam , buy some while you are there.... Thats about all the remembering , rambling I can think of for now...do go up highway US 41 , to the end, you will never forget it.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:07 PM

71 posts, read 278,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I forgot about the fort. Its east of town. Fort Wilkinson, I think. There are the Estivent Pines there also, very large old growth, worth seeing. Everyone always went down to the city dump at night to watch the bears also.... Copper Harbor has ferry service to Isle Royal, a trip that everyone should make once in a lifetime, or more. I am sure lots has changed since we used to go to the Harbor years ago. There are two tracks that we would take out to the point east of the Harbor, camp on the shore, and watch the ore boats go by off shore....all the while listening to Gordon Lightfoot on the Radio. Not sure if today you can do that, but it was the highlight of many a visit to Copper Harbor. There is a lighthouse you can hike to, fun couple of hours.... We had friends that owned a Motel in town....I am sure they are long gone by now. We all wintered in Key West together..long ago. The Harbor is so far north that all the TV and radio was Canadian stations, and the daylight lingered until 11:00 at night in July..... I spent a lot of time 35 years ago up there, every summer and always would fly-in for the Fall color. I went through two wives visiting the Harbor over the years There is a group of Monks that make the best wild Jam , buy some while you are there.... Thats about all the remembering , rambling I can think of for now...do go up highway US 41 , to the end, you will never forget it.
I forgot to mention the Jam Pot in Eagle Harbor: Jampot Online!, Glory to Jesus Christ!

They have fruitcakes that are like cinderblocks. Don't try to dead lift one. Jams, cookies, muffins, etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Awesome...thanks Darstar and SJ2! Cant wait to go!!! Been wanting to see Copper Harbor for a long time! I hear ya with Gordon Lightfoot. The U.P and GL go awesome together!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 PM

58 posts, read 162,259 times
If you head toward Copper Harbor, be sure to take the Brockway Mountain drive. As Darstar mentioned, the views from the top are breathtaking. Just be careful coming down, we overheated the brakes on my van!
Have fun.
Martha

Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Awesome...thanks Darstar and SJ2! Cant wait to go!!! Been wanting to see Copper Harbor for a long time! I hear ya with Gordon Lightfoot. The U.P and GL go awesome together!
Gordie is touring again, unfortunatly , not in my neck of the woods. Will check His fall sehedule when It comes out....All this talk about Copper Harbor,... we may take a break from building and drive up Sat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan