Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,136 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to the west coast of MI, but as we're unfamiliar with MI, would like some feedback on places that would best suit us.

We are looking to start a small natural/organic farm (mostly greenhouses) and natural products business; and looking to provide a good portion of our energy use from solar & wind power. Therefore, we would like to know what areas are more agriculture-friendly/suitable, as well as green energy-friendly.

We would prefer an area that's not too densely populated and is culturally diverse & friendly as a rule. We have two middle and high school aged children, so decent schools are needed as well.

We love the water and beach, fishing, camping and other outdoor activities...hubby and I both grew up in Ozarks lakes' area...but hate long, sweltering, muggy summers. We do like snow and winter activities...hence our interest in MI west coast, as opposed to gulf or east coast (gulf coast now off the list anyway, for obvious reasons).

Thanks for any feedback and/or suggestions in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM

83 posts, read 242,213 times
You better LOVE winter to wanna live here. We had 91 inches of snow last winter. That being said if you want a small town next to larger towns in the area good for farming try Berrien Springs, or outside of St. Joe. Schools are not a issue in MI because we offer school of choice. That means no matter where you house says you haveto go to school if you drive your kids they go where you want them to. The area I talked about Berrien Springs schools are okay (too militant for me I pulled mine out) but very diverse due to the university. I met people from all over the world there. And none of them knew how to drive. Lakeshore is the school to be in most of the so called "cool" kids go there. Personally I would put my kids in New Buffalow. That school has more money then they know what to do with because of the casnio so the kids are well taken care of. Stay out of Eau claire to small, and Benton Harbor, just a mess. Bridgeman schools are good with money to from the nuclure plant. you can im me if you wanna know more. Good luck with the friendly people part thats why we are moving to TN

Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM

18 posts, read 47,810 times
I would recommend the Traverse City area, because it is growing steadily, real estate prices are probably as low as they will ever be, it is a very attractive area, it has Grand Traverse Bay, numerous inland lakes nearby, a good school system, and attracts visitors with money.

There is a lot of outdoor recreation opportunities nearby. The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore has miles of hiking trails, 2 large islands in Lake Michigan, there are downhill ski areas within an hour or so. There is at least one large windmill in operation atop a hill west of the Bay. Lots of golf, wineries, fishing, beachcombing, maple syrup, cherries, forests, clean water.

It is well, well, worth a weekend or longer visit, just for a summer or fall vacation, let alone check out entrepreneurial opportunities.

Last edited by FromABuick6; 07-16-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 04:20 PM

358 posts, read 1,062,724 times
There is a big climate difference between southwest Michigan and northern Michigan. Berrien County and Van Buren County, the two southern counties along Lake Michigan, are very well known for their climate suitable for fruit crops. The growing season gets shorter and the heating season gets longer the further north you go. Land is relatively cheap in southwest Michigan as long as you go a few miles away from the Lake.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 AM

263 posts, read 744,910 times
if you are planning to sell locally, you need to scout out a good market first. organic is still a niche market in michigan, but there are some farmers markets that are better than others if that is your marketing choice. a market with other organic growers is better for all of you.
other than that, if you are buying farmland, buy the best soil for what you want to grow. Even if you plan now to grow in greenhouses, it gives you the option of growing outside, too. if you don't know what good land is, get help. the type of soil and drainage can make or break a farm. what the neighbors are growing and spraying can be issues also.
i farm on the sunrise side, so i can't help you with locations. i will echo that there is a tremendous variety in micro-climates in michigan from north to south.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM

943 posts, read 2,279,916 times
a rural part of Berrien county would be best. Too expensive in St. JOe and too much crime in Benton Harbor, {a bunch of women just got abducted at gunpoint in BH and surrounding areas] you will not have the country atmosphere you seek. Outside of South Haven? there is some poverty there. Up by Sagautauk and Douglas? Those are nice resort towns with high class tourists but there is land and farms outside of there.

Last edited by WheredoIlive?; 07-25-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan