Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times

Advertisements

My wife is a web producer (Troy) and I am an academic (Detroit). The former's parents work for the city of Birmingham and Birmingham school district (retired but subbing) while her sister and bro-in-law work in Lowell for Brunswick - all very secure jobs. What type of jobs do you have?

Mods: Please help to keep this thread on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM

86 posts, read 456,784 times
I work on the dealer distribution helpline for Audi, which serves all of the U.S. and Canada... so I guess I'm pretty secure for now.

My husband is currently unemployed, but we have figured out how to get by on just my income. More money from him would help, but it's not essential to our survival. I rather like having him at home all day to do housework and run errands for me!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Mods: Please help to keep this thread on topic.
You got it Cato!

I do accounting, AR and AP for a small firm in Troy. The wife currently stays home but is looking for something part-time! Actually, of the 2 of us she has more formal education, so if she stumbles onto something that pays more than my job, I may become Mr. Mom!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You got it Cato!

I do accounting, AR and AP for a small firm in Troy. The wife currently stays home but is looking for something part-time! Actually, of the 2 of us she has more formal education, so if she stumbles onto something that pays more than my job, I may become Mr. Mom!
You never know - I have a good friend I work with in Greece that teaches at Dartmouth. They moved to NH and were "set" with his wife staying at home. A couple years later, his wife decided "to get her real estate license on the side" to keep busy. 10 years later, she makes triple what he makes!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You got it Cato!

Hey, don't knock it Jeff! My wife is a Marketing Manager and I work from home part-time and take care of the kids. It's pretty cool, actually. Like your wife, she's more "management material" than I am education wise. We are doing just fine.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 PM

41 posts, read 38,910 times
I am self employed twice. I sell on the net and do lawn care. I get other steady income as well.

I am diversifying like a good Michigander and still beating the made in Michigan/blue state drum.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 PM

13 posts, read 42,950 times
We sell on the internet so our customers are from all around the USA thank goodness.

Lambert

Old 06-23-2007, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 770 times
yah. lklein, because there sure are not enough people to keep business afloat in michigan, that state is dead. I drive truck and my runs to that state have dried up. not much moving in or out of that state any more. all the manufacturing jobs have gone to mexcio.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 PM

24 posts, read 61,779 times
I'm a teacher but I intend to retire in two years and finally join my husband in Tennessee where he's been working for sometime as a software developer. I'll be quite happy to put Michigan behind me.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I make a very good living drilling water wells. I wanted to have my own business and wanted it to be something people could not live without. My answer was water. We live in the Mid-Michigan area. The Midland area has not been hit as hard as the rest of the state.

One thing I have noticed is people build very big houses. I asked a few customers why, sometimes it was desire, but many times it was zoning.

IMO it is wasteful of local government to force these huge houses. It is not good for the environment, or the economy when they can not pay for the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan