Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 AM

118 posts, read 1,045,558 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite Michigan campground?

Also, if you could please let me know how much you paid and whether you stayed in a tent, RV or trailer it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
any campground near the sleeping dunes national park......so far. we slept in a tent.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
I used to take my family to a place between Grayling and Gaylord called Headwaters resort. But the couple who owned it sold it and I think the new owners must be crack heads. Their site only shows yearly rates. No thanks.

We have stayed at a couple of KOA's. One in Newberry ( in a tent) it was ok and we also stayed at the KOA in Gaylord. The owners of that one are really nice and it's clean and pretty nice.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
Ugh! I dislike KOA's and national & state parks and will use them only if I have too. I like to camp in the middle of no where in a tent.

That being said, Wilderness State Park is nice, if you can get on of the larger corner sites, more room and privacy there.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I used to take my family to a place between Grayling and Gaylord called Headwaters resort. But the couple who owned it sold it and I think the new owners must be crack heads. Their site only shows yearly rates. No thanks.

We have stayed at a couple of KOA's. One in Newberry ( in a tent) it was ok and we also stayed at the KOA in Gaylord. The owners of that one are really nice and it's clean and pretty nice.
Brighton State Rec Area is a hop, skip, and a jump from you.

Have you tried that one?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,687 times
Courtney Lake SFCG on H38 between L'Anse and Greenland or in that area somewhere

This is a beautiful setting, rustic and remote. It's not your basic RV resort, gated community where they take out the trash for you. This is real camping.

On a slight bluff overlooking a small lake you can hear loons at dusk, wolves at night and the typical little critters of the UP. Peaceful, quiet, lovely. Handpump water and outhouse toilets. What more could you ask for??

I slept solo in a backpacking tent. Hardwoods, not a bug infested environment. Hopefully going to be able to hit this one again sometime this week, maybe thursday or friday night. There is a host couple that camps the summer there and watches over the campground. Take a canoe or small boat for fishing, it's a non-wake area.

Last edited by Perferator; 07-25-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Ugh! I dislike KOA's and national & state parks and will use them only if I have too. I like to camp in the middle of no where in a tent.

That being said, Wilderness State Park is nice, if you can get on of the larger corner sites, more room and privacy there.
Well pre family day my buddy and me used to have to shovel snow just outside of Cedarville deep into a two tracker in the U.P to put our tent up for deer season. But when you have a wife and a diabetic son you can't really rough it too much. So KOA fit's well. They have those cool little cabins that are pretty cheap.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Brighton State Rec Area is a hop, skip, and a jump from you.

Have you tried that one?
YAZ, I've always felt if I'm close enough I can drive home to grab something I forgot then that's not really camping. LOL Ooh I forgot my swim suit, back in a few. Can I pick anything up from home for ya? Hmmmmm nope just does not seem like camping to me.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,275 times
Tawas Point State Park . It has an operational lighthouse , and give tours of the lightkeepers house in addition to going up into the lighthouse if you are able to do the stairs .

Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Our favorite so far is Platte River campground. We have an RV, but not sure what we paid....gonna say around $30 a night. We just got back from Union Bay campground in the U.P, and all though it is not the greatest campground, it is in a perfect spot to see a ton of things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan