Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM

16 posts, read 46,215 times

Advertisements

I am learning more about South Haven, Covert, Coloma, etc and have heard conflicting reports about the snowfall in the area. I understand that the area gets a lot of snow but I also read that the snowbelt doesn't start right at the shoreline but a few miles in.....

Here is the link and an excerpt:

http://www.x98ruhf.net/lake_effect.htm]Lake Effect Precipitation in Michigan
"An interesting feature of "lake-effect" is that the heaviest bands of snow do not usually occur along the immediate shoreline, but tend to fall several miles inland. Snowfall accumulations are enhanced inland because the air experiences more uplift when it is forced over hills and higher terrain."

Can anyone confirm or deny if this is the case? We are looking at a house in covert just east of 196 / 31 (about a mile or so from lake michigan)and would like to know if the worst of the snow will 'miss' us and happen a bit more inland.

Thanks in advance! We have recently fallen in love with Southwest Michigan and are excited to be learning more about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:45 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,731,734 times
Usually that is true. Some years it may not be, but overall if you are close to Lake Michigan you will have a bit warmer winters and cooler summers than somebody even 5 miles away. As for snowfall amounts, that is also generally true. I know living 8 miles from Lake Michigan I get a LOT more snow than most people I know who live along the same road, but only 2 or 3 miles from the Lake.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM

235 posts, read 534,233 times
If you don't mind my asking, what is your reason for choosing Covert?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,886,673 times
Who would want to live in Covert? Not the garden spot of SW Michigan. Most folks in the area work at the Nuke Plant or the Gas Plant. Snow, yes, but usually more futher north and east of South haven.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Covert doesnt seem sooo bad... or at least its tucked in and amongst some great areas...

thanks for the replies.. It is encouraging to know that we may not get hit QUITE so hard on the snow front..... we are not even 2 miles from the Lake and are hoping that all that lake effect snow goes right over our head!!

Well, here is why we are looking there......

I have been searching the sw mi mls for months and months looking for that 'perfect deal' and it has been a journey!

This place we found in Covert, is RIGHT off of 196 and not even 10 minutes to the Van Buren State Park and even closer to the Covert Township State Park. It is more than 5 acres and the house is decent size (1500sf).

We are just a few minutes from the grocery store in South Haven and 10 minutes or so from Downtown South Haven.

Covert in and of itself is definately not all that but we are more akin to going to South Haven for everything anyways.

So in a sense, I guess Covert chose us!

Thanks for all the replies! ANY further information is appreciated! My wife is especially nervous about the big bad 'lake effect snow' so this hopefully will help to put her at ease!!

Thanks Again!!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 AM

19 posts, read 46,905 times
Jiminyjim... If you don't like 'big bad' lake effect snow, I wouldn't get too comfortable about living in Covert then if I were you. I live in Berrien county, a lil' south of there, and I can vouch that the past 3 winters, there's been over 100 inches of snowfall each yr. That's at the airport in Benton Harbor, since I keep up with their records. Granted southwest MI may not be like the U.P., but believe me, the snowstorms in the winter can still get bad here, even along the lake, especially if you're not used to it.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,886,673 times
I can say with experence , both areas , South West Mi. and the U.P. get the most snow. The difference is like night and day when comparing with all the other areas of the State. ... After 5 years on a small inland lake 6 miles east of South Haven, I have witnessed , whiteouts on I-I94 as bad as any up here in the U.P. I have witnessed roads covered in ice with a NW wind polishing the edges and drifting the EW routes making everything impassable. I have measured 100 inches , even 150 inches around my house some winters, and along with that, the County had little funding to plow the roads on the week-ends.
We may get 200 plus inches up here in da U.P. , but , the roads are always plowed, seldom have glare ice to fight, and due to the dry air , the snow often blows off objects , like my roof.
The bottom line , get used to what you have, and live with it , not fight it. The fruit farmers in SW Mi love the snow, its provides needed mosture and serves as an insulator for their bushes.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,869,141 times
Yeah....love the snow, because it is much better then barren, and lifeless winter settings. Its really not that bad to drive on if your careful, and at least you can get out and enjoy the winter. The most amazing and beautiful snow you will see is lake effect snow. It is still etched in the front of my mind from the first time I saw it.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 PM

749 posts, read 2,428,857 times
Yep, be prepared for some gawd awful snowfall. That whole corner of the state from about where I-94 curves, right on down to South Bend gets nailed hard. You couldn't get me on 94 in January out that way and Red Arrow Hwy isn't much better.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks for all of the replies!!

Personally, I agree with michmoldman and love snow! It is the wife who has expressed concern. I am excited for the snow although I hope the county can afford to plow! I understand that during the worst of the snowstorms travel may be a bit impaired and I am okay with that.

We met the neighbor across the way who has been there over 15 years and he said the snow is plentiful but he has also seen it where his neighbors down the road (a couple miles further from the lake) they have had much more snow but that is not always the case.

Either way, I am 10 minutes to South Haven (via car, maybe Ill need a snowmobile!) and just a few minutes to 196 so that puts her at ease.

Me, I am excited, and looking forward to some lake effect snow!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan